[soc.religion.islam] Relationships

mohamed%umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu@oxy.edu (Asad Mohamed) (12/06/89)

Peace

I would like to get an islamic perspective on something that we do,
presumably everyday. Living in the U.S (atleast), muslims have to
interact with both men and women.

What is the Islamic thing to do when it comes to interacting with these
people from the opposite sex ?

If one were to keep sex out of the picture, can a muslim develop and
maintain a relationship with a person of the opposite sex ? If such a
friendship/relationship develops, is it of any relevance whether the
other person is a muslim or not ?

Obviously, Zina, would enter the picture if sex creeped in, but would it
apply to a non-sexual relationship too ?

I wonder if this article/host of posers is of relevance to more than
just myself. If it does, i hope it will get posted and draw from the
potentially vast number of knowledgeable muslims.If and when this
article draws responses, i would appreciate it if the references used
were classified as Quran or Hadith.

Thanks

Asad Mohamed

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (12/06/89)

		       In the Name of God.

In article <8912042045.AA05312@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu> Mohammad Asad
writes:

>Peace
>
>I would like to get an islamic perspective on something that we do,
>presumably everyday. Living in the U.S (atleast), muslims have to
>interact with both men and women.
>
>What is the Islamic thing to do when it comes to interacting with these
>people from the opposite sex ?
>
>If one were to keep sex out of the picture, can a muslim develop and
>maintain a relationship with a person of the opposite sex ? If such a
>friendship/relationship develops, is it of any relevance whether the
>other person is a muslim or not ?
>
>Obviously, Zina, would enter the picture if sex creeped in, but would it
>apply to a non-sexual relationship too ?
>
>I wonder if this article/host of posers is of relevance to more than
>just myself. If it does, i hope it will get posted and draw from the
>potentially vast number of knowledgeable muslims.If and when this
>article draws responses, i would appreciate it if the references used
>were classified as Quran or Hadith.
>
>Thanks
>
>Asad Mohamed

	   I am not able to answer the specific question, but these
	   comments are related and may be of interest.

	   Seclusion of women which is currently practiced in certain
	   places in the Moslem world did not exist in the lifetime
	   of the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him).  The Quran
	   commands seclusion for the wives of the Prophet only.

	   An example of how the values of some Moslems changed over
	   time can be seen in the question of women's worship in the
	   mosques.  There are numerous hadiths in the most authentic
	   sources that prove definitively that during the Prophet's
	   lifetime women commonly prayed in the mosque.  In fact,
	   The Prophet prohibited some men's attempt to prevent
	   their wives from walking to the mosque at night due
	   potential danger.

	   Shortly after the Prophets' death, however, women were
	   barred from mosques.  This change in values might be due
	   to the rapid expansion of Moslems after the Prophet's
	   death which led to the absorption of many Persian and
	   Byzantine institutions.

	   As for friendships with members of the opposite sex, there
	   is no restriction in the Quran against it.  Of course,
	   Moslems are required to be modest.  Also, looking at a
	   member of the opposite sex for the sake of pleasure is
	   unacceptable (needless to say, unless it's your husband or
	   wife!!).

	   Behnam Sadeghi

	   Soura xxiv,	an-Nur	  (Yusuf Ali's translation)

	   30. Say to the believing men,
	   That they should lower
	   Their gaze and guard
	   Their modesty: That will make