[soc.religion.islam] Etiquettes of Reading the Quran

fs@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Frank Silbermann) (12/06/89)

I remember reading something to the effect
that non-Muslims are forbidden to touch the Koran.
Is this _all_ non-Muslims, or just idolators?
Is this _any_ copy of the Koran, even translations,
or merely certain special copies?

I have no immediate plans to read the Koran,
but I do have a few Muslim friends.  I would not
want to commit any accidental offense.

	Frank Silbermann	fs@rex.cs.tulane.edu

naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) (12/06/89)

Frank Silberman writes:
>I remember reading something to the effect
>that non-Muslims are forbidden to touch the Koran.
>Is this _all_ non-Muslims, or just idolators?
>Is this _any_ copy of the Koran, even translations,
>or merely certain special copies?

There is no such prohibition. Muslims believe that the Quran
came for the guidance of *all* humankind. Everybody is encouraged
read it.

However, the Quran tells muslims not to pray when drunk or when they
have had sexual intercourse (4:43). One is required to bathe before
they can pray again. I believe that a similar restriction would be
applicable about touching or reading the Quran.

As it says in the Quran (5:6),

   "God does not want to place any inconvenience on you, but He does
    want to purify you and to complete His favour towards you, in
    order that you may be grateful."

So whether you are a muslim or a non-muslim, go ahead and touch and read
the Quran all you want, as long as you keep in mind the above restrictions.

    Naim