[soc.religion.islam] Muslim population growth, the Mid-east and the future

araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) (12/06/89)

In article <20251@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> weiss@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Seggev Weiss) writes:

>we have to look into the REAL reasons for Jews being influential in American
>lfee. The main reason is that, like it or not, JEWS HAVE CONTRIBUTED HERE IN
>ALL WALKS OF LIFE MUCH MORE THAN MUSLIMS EVER DID OR WILL CONTRIBUTE IN THE
>FORSEEABLE FUTURE.

Think it through.  It seems to me that this statement is somewhat rascist.
If you do not believe it, tell me about your emotinal response to the
following:

#Muslims have contributed here in all walks of life much more than Muslims
#ever did or will contribute in the near future.

Don't like it, do you?
BTW, there is no need to yell.  I'm not deaf.

>Jews invented the Polio vaccine, they save people on the
>operating table everyday, they play a big role in American space science
>development, they started social security here, etc., etc.

You would be surprised at the number of Muslims in all the professions
that you have mentioned above.  Also, consider the proportions of
foreign/native students in this country.

>Until Muslims here, even at 20 million, become more educated than the level
>exhibited recently by net.palestinians, they won't obscure the REAL importance
>of Jews in America, which is their BRAINS, not their sheer number.

I believe that about 55% of the PhD students in this country are non-native
Americans, a significant portion of which settle down in this country.  It
would seem to me that non-native (or to be more exact, previously non-native)
highly educated people are going to be making a significant impact on
American culture and development in the near future if they have not done
so already.

As for obscuring the REAL importance of Jews, in America, or any other
ethnic minority in this country, people will have to adjust to the existence
of Muslims and other peoples in this country.  It depends on how you look at
it - if you look at Muslims as being inferior, or savages, or whatever (case
in point: Martillo), they will not like you, and this will turn the country
in on itself by causing much strife.  On the other hand, if you are willing
to accept Muslims as decent human beings, with flaws and admirable qualities
just like anyone else, you can expect to be a lot more productive.

It is your choice, really.

Note Followups to soc.religion.islam.  It seems to me that the discussion
is moving towards the role of Islam  and Muslims in this country, and has
less to do with mideast politics.