[soc.religion.islam] Minister Farrakhan

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (01/16/90)

In article, Message-ID: <6609@wpi.wpi.edu> writes:

>The following news excerpt comes from the Winter 1989/90 issue of "Free Inquiry"
>
>      "Minister Louis Farrakhan told a Washington news conference that President
>	Bush and the FBI were out to get him, and then threatened a UFO invasion
>	if they didn't stop."
>
>      "The Black Muslim leader said Bush was planning 'a war' against the
>	nations blacks, adding that FBI agents were 'working night and day ...
>	with the purpose of discrediting [me] and ultimately causing [my]
>	death'."
>
>      "In a 'warning' to Bush 'to leave me alone,' Farrakhan said, 'the moment
>	you attempt to lay your hands upon me, the fullness of Allah's wrath
>	will descend upon you and America' in the form of UFOs appearing 'in
>	abundance' over American cities, followed by 'an increase in number
>	and intensities' of the 'calamities that America is presently experi-
>	encing'."
>
>      "After reading his statement, Farrakhan left, allowing no questions."
>		  [They citee Knight-Ridder publications]
>      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Minister Louis Farrakhan is the head of the American Black Muslim movement
>known as the "Nation of Islam."

	   I myself had read a lot of even more strange things about
	   Farrakhan in the past, and had also come to believe that
	   he was a Nazi and an anti-Semite. However, that was the
	   period BEFORE I read and heard the full text of some of
	   his speeches for myself.  I became convinced that the
	   media were for some reason distorting his sayings (they
	   are 'after him'). For example, even now sometimes
	   newspapers quote him as haveing said that Judaism is a
	   dirty religion, something he *never* said, and a charge that
	   he vehemently rejected.

	   The article you cite above may or may not be correct.  But
	   as long as I don't see the word UFO within quotations
	   marks I am not going to believe that he said such a thing.

	   Behnam Sadeghi

	   P.S. His claim that the FBI is 'after him' doesn't seem
	   wrong or strange to me at all.

ischick@BBN.COM (01/16/90)

In article <6751@wpi.wpi.edu> you write:

>	   I myself had read a lot of even more strange things about
>	   Farrakhan in the past, and had also come to believe that
>	   he was a Nazi and an anti-Semite. However, that was the
>	   period BEFORE I read and heard the full text of some of
>	   his speeches for myself.  I became convinced that the
>	   media were for some reason distorting his sayings (they
>	   are 'after him'). For example, even now sometimes
>	   newspapers quote him as haveing said that Judaism is a
>	   dirty religion, something he *never* said, and a charge that
>	   he vehemently rejected.

Actually, he hasn't rejected this. His speech was originally reported
as saying "gutter religion" and his spokesman announced that he didn't
say "gutter," he said "dirty." Unless I have it backwards, but I think
this is the way it was. Frankly I don't see the difference. He is a
dangerous fascist without any doubt. A demagogue, who uses his
charisma to spread the most vile sorts of racist and anti-semitic
ideology.  There was a recent article in _In These Times_ by a
somewhat sympathetic author by the name of Salim Muwakkil. In a reply
to some critical letters (ITT, January 10-16, 1990, p.15) he writes:
"The NOI doctrine posits black supremacy and deems whites genetically
defective, and my article is certainly not an apologia for that kind
of primitive racism." I leave it up to you to decide if such
"primitive racism" is in any way compatible with the teachings of
Islam. I think not.

Irvin