[soc.religion.islam] ET Joins with Minister Louis Farrakhan to defeat the "White Menace"

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (01/12/90)

The following news excerpt comes from the Winter 1989/90 issue of "Free Inquiry"

      "Minister Louis Farrakhan told a Washington news conference that President
       Bush and the FBI were out to get him, and then threatened a UFO invasion
       if they didn't stop."

      "The Black Muslim leader said Bush was planning 'a war' against the
       nations blacks, adding that FBI agents were 'working night and day ...
       with the purpose of discrediting [me] and ultimately causing [my]
       death'."

      "In a 'warning' to Bush 'to leave me alone,' Farrakhan said, 'the moment
       you attempt to lay your hands upon me, the fullness of Allah's wrath
       will descend upon you and America' in the form of UFOs appearing 'in
       abundance' over American cities, followed by 'an increase in number
       and intensities' of the 'calamities that America is presently experi-
       encing'."

      "After reading his statement, Farrakhan left, allowing no questions."
                 [They citee Knight-Ridder publications]

Minister Louis Farrakhan is the head of the American Black Muslim movement
known as the "Nation of Islam."

***    The preceding statements represent the opinions of the author.   ***
       They must not be interpreted as representing the beliefs of any
       other person, institution, government agency, or business entity.

araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) (01/16/90)

In article  <6609@wpi.wpi.edu> steve%revolver@gatech.edu writes:
>Minister Louis Farrakhan is the head of the American Black Muslim movement
>known as the "Nation of Islam."

I've heard of this sect of people.  It is my understanding that they
are an offshoot from Islam that has incorporated a great deal of other
teachings; the philosophy being to provide American Blacks with a
religion that would serve as an alternative to the religion practised
by white people.  I have heard that it is mostly a reaction to rascism
more than having anything to do with Islam itself.  Would anyone more
learned then myself in this subject care to shed light on this matter?

I am interested because the name of Islam is being used here..

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (01/16/90)

*
*I've heard of this sect of people.  It is my understanding that they
*are an offshoot from Islam that has incorporated a great deal of other
*teachings; the philosophy being to provide American Blacks with a
*religion that would serve as an alternative to the religion practised
*by white people.  I have heard that it is mostly a reaction to rascism
*more than having anything to do with Islam itself.  Would anyone more
*learned then myself in this subject care to shed light on this matter?
*
*I am interested because the name of Islam is being used here..
--------

     The local public access cable channel here in Atlanta, Georgia often
features broadcasts by Minister Farrakhan.  He is a Muslim and he reads
(translations from) the text of the Qu'ran to his audiences.  I don't know
how large his sect in this country is, but Malcolm X formerly belonged to
this same group before he was assassinated by other members of the group.
You are probably correct in your assertion that many members do join
the group as an alternative to Christianity, which they view as being a
religion imposed on them by their former white masters.

     The problem I have with him is that he preaches (I've listened to him
several times out of curiousity) a curious blend of self-help, religion and
white hatred.  I have heard him say many things that sound beautiful, but
I've also heard him say some downright nasty things too.

gwydion@Dyved.csc.ti.com (Basalat Ali Raja) (01/17/90)

steve%revolver@gatech.edu writes:
>    The local public access cable channel here in Atlanta, Georgia often
>features broadcasts by Minister Farrakhan.  He is a Muslim and he reads
>(translations from) the text of the Qu'ran to his audiences.  I don't know
>how large his sect in this country is, but Malcolm X formerly belonged to
>this same group before he was assassinated by other members of the group.
>You are probably correct in your assertion that many members do join
>the group as an alternative to Christianity, which they view as being a
>religion imposed on them by their former white masters.

I have heard one sermon made by Minister Farrakhan.  That is exactly
what it was - a sermon.  Not a Khutba, or a discussion given by a
Muslim scholar.  It was quite definitely an attempt to preach at his
audience.   Also, I note that you refer to him as *Minister* Farrakhan.
Sunni Islam does not have a clergy, and Farrakhan does not seem to be
a Shia.  This, in all, seems to provide more evidence that the religion
that Farrakhan preaches is an anti-thesis to Christianity rather than
Islam in its own right; the name "Islam" was chosen because it was
viewed as a religion other than Christianity.

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (01/18/90)

In article <6811@wpi.wpi.edu> gwydion@Dyved.csc.ti.com (Basalat Ali Raja) writes:
*
[...]

<me> - Yes, I would agree with that characterization.  He has a political
       as well as a religious agenda in the US.

*Also, I note that you refer to him as *Minister* Farrakhan.
*Sunni Islam does not have a clergy, and Farrakhan does not seem to be
*a Shia.  This, in all, seems to provide more evidence that the religion
*that Farrakhan preaches is an anti-thesis to Christianity rather than
*Islam in its own right; the name "Islam" was chosen because it was
*viewed as a religion other than Christianity.

<me> - I don't think I have ever heard him or anyone who represented him
       call Farrakhan either a sunni or shia.  I believe the Nation of
       Islam is a separate sect.  I also believe the title "Minister" is
       a familiar Americanization that members of his audience who, by and
       large do not read the Qu'ran in its own language, feel comfortable with.