[soc.religion.islam] Rushdie's "Death Sentence"

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (02/09/90)

In article <7968@wpi.wpi.edu> gsmith%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>>I wonder...  have you read the book?
>
>  I have. The blasphemy aspect has been much exaggerated.
>--

I too read the book, and totally disagree with Gene.  I found it to be
distasteful, and unecessary.  Rushdie has every right to write such a book
if he wishes, but I think that his sense of decency was lost in this endeavor.

 Shari Deiana VanderSpek, College Computer Center, Fuller Laboratories
         Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA 01609
                   shari@wpi.edu, shari@wpi.bitnet

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (02/10/90)

In article <7878@wpi.wpi.edu>, araja@m2 (Ali Raja) writes:

>Anyway, Yusuf did not call for Rushdie's death.  He said that Khomeni's
>call for his death would make life difficult for Rushdie.  Given Rushdie's
>behaviour, he seemed to approve of this.

  I saw him on television, where he seemed to be saying that
Khomeini's "death sentence" was correct. In any case, if he
approves of a death sentence for any reason, then he approves.
If Rushdie is indeed killed, Yusuf will be one of those who bears
a share of the blame (or glory, depending on one's point of
view).

>I wonder...  have you read the book?

  I have. The blasphemy aspect has been much exaggerated.
--
   ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
Imagine what the world would be like if football was a worthy ritual performed