[soc.religion.islam] The Quran on Computer

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (02/10/90)

The following I received from Hanna-Kassis
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 90 18:46:20 PST
>From: Hanna_Kassis@mtsg.ubc.ca
To: saadat@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: The Quran on computer

Dear Irfan Saadat
     A message you sent through soc.relg.islam was forwarded
to me through a colleague who has access to the network. I
do not have such access and I am trying to reach you via
Bitnet.
     Regarding typing the Qur'an into the computer, please
convey to your friends and brethren that Yusuf Ali's interpretation
is already available on the computer together with a programme
that accesses it byt chapter and verse. It is entitled QuranBase
which is "software for the study of the Quran in translation".
It is produced by Sound Vision. The group, based in Chicago, is
a non-profit organization and need your and everyone else's support.
Alternatively, their mission and achievement will be destroyed by
either neglect or piracy.
     Their address is
     Sound Vision (ICNA)
     915 S. Bell Ave.
     Chicago, IL 60612.
I do not know or belong to the group, but I think their work is
commendable that I commend it to you all.
     The Peace of God be with you.

                                    H>E>Kassis
                               University of British Columbia
                               Vancouver, Canada

For which I replied that:
1) I know about this software, but it is very expensive ($130), and if
was even around $50 then one can buy it. I also said the aim is to create
a public domain ASCII text file, so that a person is free to use any word
processor or software to create whatever he/she likes. Also it seems people
on the network prefer Shakir, so even if it is done there would be no
redundency as ICNA's one is Ali's.

For which I got the following reply:

>From Hanna_Kassis@mtsg.ubc.ca Thu Feb  8 22:56:17 1990
>From: Hanna_Kassis@mtsg.ubc.ca
To: saadat@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Re:  The Quran on computer

Your response was prompt and clear and for both I thank you.
I agree with you that the price charged by Sound Vision is
VERY steep. I had checked into that. I was told that it is
because of the fact that the QuranBase programme includes
AskSam and that that is where is cost lies.

>From looking at the list of correspondents of soc.relg.islam
I notice a large number of correspondents who are computer
scientists. I suggest that if the will were there, a text
retrieval programme could be created to achieve what QuranBase
does, without AskSam (or Notebook II) and would be included with
the text of the Book for users.

Perhaps I should mention that I have Arberry's text on disk but am
still trying to get the Copyright sorted out before I release it
in the public domain.

Is it possible that Sound Vision might wish to release only the text
of Ali's interpretation in the piblic domain without the expensive
AskSam? I have written them to urge them to do so. Perphaps you and
others could also write. Who knows, they might do it. The important
point I want to emphasize is that THERE IS NO TRANSLATION that can
meet the original and therefore one must look at a variety of
translations and accept none.
     God's peace be with us all.
                                      HEK

Now what do the network reader think about the suggestion of Hanna-Kassis?

Our dear friend (I forgot the name) who is doing a nice job about the copy
right issue, mentioned about that he could not find the number for Tahrike-
Tarsile Quran. I talked to a friend of mine and he gave me the number:
it is 718-779-6505.

I think regarding HEK's suggestion or anyother suggestion about contacting
publishers, or developers (e.g. ICNA): That  one person or a group of persons
contact them and deal with them. Those people can who have personal contacts
with ICNA or Amana or ISNA or IBS (depending on personal friendship or
geographical proximity). For example the address given for Sound Vision is
in Chicago: So a Chicago resident should talk to them. ICNA HQ is in Queens(NYC)
so a person in NYC can do it and so on.

I think the next step is that people should come forward and volunteer
contacting with those people, and then report back with the results.

As far as HEK's proposal about Software. I think on the MAC: Word 4.0 has
a very strong indexing program, I am sure there are other indexing programs
in PC's also. I also assume reasonably that most people on the netland know
how to use a PC or a MAC.

I hope we can move to the next phase as soon as possible.

Irfan