[soc.religion.islam] Biblical corruption - where is the evidence?

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (02/02/90)

In article <7458@wpi.wpi.edu> tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney) writes:

>It should be noted, in response to Dave Bakken's denials, that all
>modern Biblical *scholars*, as opposed to ideologues, recognize that
>the Bible has indeed been heavily modified over the millenia.

I'm really glad I took philosophy 101 (elementary logic) in my
undergraduate tenure.  This way, I know that the word for the above
logical fallacy is `poisoning the well'.  It does make things simple, though.
If anyone has evidence of Biblical continuity , no matter their credentials
or how scholarly their evidence, they are an idelogue to be ignored.  I'm
sure the converse holds for many people, too: If anyone comes out with a
detailed attack on the Bible, then they are scholars.  This could save
people a lot of reading and even thought :-).

But had it occurred to you that some or even many or even all dogmatic
Biblical critics may also have an ax to grind?  It has been my observation
that many of them have one of two problems:
	1) they refuse to accept the possibility, and indeed are angered and
	   insulted by it, that there could be an infinite God compared to
	   Whom they are (and I am, too) a pea-brain.  Or, more often,
	2) They refuse to accept the possiblity of the Bible, since it
	   could have serious consequences on their sexual promiscuity.
	   Indeed, Aldous Huxley stated ("Confessions of a Professed
	   Athiest", Report: Perspective on the News, vol 3, June, 1966, p19.)

		I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning;
		consequently assumed it had none, and was able without any
		difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption....
		For myself, as no doubt for most of my contemporaries, the
		philosophy of meaningless was essentially an instrument of
		liberation.  The liberation we desired was simultaneously
		liberation from a certain political and economic system and
		liberation from a certain system of morality.  We objected
		to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom.

So both sides or neither can be biased, too.

>                              The two incompatible versions of the
>creation in Genesis are only the most well-known example.

There is one version of creation in Genesis.  Chapter one gives the big
picture, and chapter two summarizes a bit and then gives a lot more
detail into the creation of Adam and Eve.  As Gleason Archer notes in
"Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties", page 69,

	"... it becomes quite apparent that this [chapter 2] was never
	intended to be a general creation narrative.  Search all the
	cosmologies of the ancient civilizations of the Near East,
	and you will never find among them a single creation account
	that omits all mention of the formation of h sun, moon, and
	stars or ocean or seas - none of which are referred to in Genesis 2.
	It is therefore quite obvious that Genesis 1 is the only creation
	account to be found in Hebrew Scripture and that it is already
	presupposed as the background for Genesis 2."

>                                      Often requirements of jewels,
>precious metals, rare spices, and so forth are made which obviously
>could not have been performed by the Hebrews at the time of the
>Exodus.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but it seems clear to me that you believe
there is no God and thus discount any sort of supernatural help from Him.

--
Dave Bakken				Internet:  bakken@cs.arizona.edu
721 Gould-Simpson Bldg			UUCP:	   uunet!arizona!bakken

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (02/02/90)

Moderator's note:

This subject is getting off the track of the proposed newsgroup outline.
Followups should be directed to soc.religion.christian or talk.religion.misc.

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (02/02/90)

I will answer Mr. Moussaoui's claims about Biblical corruption.  But
first, I wish to preface this with some general comments about what I
call ``apparent contradictions'' in the Bible.  First, one must realize
that the Bible would have to be an exhastive record of history in order
to avoid any apparent contradictions.  Second, when some western skeptics
read a Bible and see something that seems to contradict something else
in the Bible, they assume the Bible is wrong.  They might know nothing
about the native languages, the culture, the background of the audience
and the writer, etc., but they assume that the Bible is automatically
wrong.  That, in my mind, is sheer arrogance.  It would be different if
the Bible said unequivocally "On day X it rained all day over all of
Africa" and in another place "On day X there was no rain over all of
Africa" for the same X, then that is a problem.  But it is never this
clear, as we shall see from my refutations below.

In my own readings of the Bible, my list of ``problem passages'' has grown
and shrunk as I find answers and more questions, but my questions have been
answered so often that I have faith that there indeed an answer to the
question I have.  I am a rational and educated person (I currently am
working on a Ph.D. in computer science), and my heart cannot rejoice in
what my mind rejects.  So these questions are important to me.

 >I will try to show SOME examples and evidences to the atleration/corruption
 >of the Bible.  Some years back I bought a "Holy Bible" red letter edition
 >Revised Standard Edition (RSE) from a local bookstore.
 >In the preface I find the following:
 >"Yet the King James Version has grave defects.  By the end of the nineteenth
 >century, the development of Biblical studies and the discovery of many manu-
 >scripts more encient that those upon which the King James Version was based,
 >made it manifest that these defects are so many and so serious as to call for
 >revision of the English translation."

This has nothing to do with what I was talking about.  I was talking about
the large volume of consistent, ancient manuscripts for the Bible.  Many
of these have been discovered in this century.  There is no question that
the King James version has problems.  It was done a *long* time ago.  I
talked about the very high degree of scholarship of the recent New International
Version (NIV).

 >In the back of the Bible I find a section titled "The books of the Bible"
 >in it there is a summary of each book in the old and new testament. For each
 >book they mention: Title,author, setting and a summary of the book.
 >I will mention only the author section which caught my attention
 >
 >Book        Author
 >----        ------------
 >GENESIS            One of the "five books of Moses"
 >EXODUS             Generally credited to Moses
 >LEVITICUS          Generally credited to Moses
 >NUMBERS            Generally credited to Moses
 >DEUTERONOMY        Generally credited to Moses
 >JOSHUA             Major part credited to Joshua
 >JUDGES             Possibly Samuel

[etc.]

 >  .......etc ....
 >
 >One can see from this that the authorship of not even one book is attributed
 >to God, how can one then claim that the Bible is God's word and look how many
 >books have been mentioned as UNKNOWN author!!

You are incorrect in your semantics.  Christians have long held that the
Bible was given to man by God, and that he chose and inspired or dictated
to particular authors to originally transcribe it.  So what if we consider
some texts to be Scripture (for a variety of reasons) but are unsure of the
human authorship, what does this matter?  And I don't understand how this
situation is any different that the Qua'ran.  Certainly you don't claim to
have manuscripts penned by Mohammed (tradition has it he was illiterate).
Do you know who wrote the manuscripts you have?  I presume not, but rather
you believe the Qua'ran is from God so whoever penned the manuscripts is
unimportant.

 >Surely Moses didn't write DEUTERONOMY (at least not all) because in it, it
 >mentions the death of Moses and who attended his funeral(chap. 34)

If God wanted the information in Deuteronomy given to His people, and he
chose Moses to transcribe it (since he was their leader), is it really that
odd to think God could have someone else complete a portion of Deuteronomy
finishing with a record of the last times and burial of Moses?

 >Ahmed Deedat wrote a booklet "IS THE BIBLE GOD'S WORD" which mentions some
 >of the errors/atlerations to "God's Word" it is available free from
 >The Islamic Propagation Center 47/49 Madressa Arcade DURBAN 4001
 >phone 329-518 Republic of South Africa.  You can also check with your
 >local Islamic Mosque/Masjid/center in your city they may have a copy.

Well, I would recommend "Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties" by Gleason
Archer, Zondervan, 1982, ISBN 0-310-43570-6.  It gives quite plausible
explanations to a lot of "apparent contradictions" in the Bible.  I will
take some replies from there and attribute appropriately, since I am
no Biblical scholar.  Also Josh McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a
Verdict" and "More Evidence that Demands a Verdict", both of which
should be available at most Christian bookstores and a few secular ones.

 >Here are some examples: page 38
 >
 >    WHAT DID THE LORD DECREE 3 YEARS FAMINE OR 7 YEARS FAMINE?
 >
 >II SAMUEL 24:13: SO Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, shall
 >SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or will thou flee three
 >months before thine enemies, while they pursue. thee?

The prophet Gad visited David after he had finished a census in a spirit
of pride.  So Gad warned him with the above from God  (note the word "shall"
and the question marks) - this was a warning of what could happen and not
a statement of what would.  To this David replied, "I am in deep distress.
Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not
let me fall into the hands of men." (II Samuel 24:14, NIV).  So David was
humbled by God's warning, and God spared him.

 >I CHRONICLES 21:11:  SO Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the
 >LORD, Choose thee. Either THREE YEARS OF FAMINE or three months to be destryed
 >before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee;

And this is a definite choice of what David had to suffer - given at a later
date.  God may have reduced the term of famine due to David's earlier humility
or some other reason unknown to us.  This is paraphrased from Archer,
pages 189-90.

 >pages 35-36
 >                              IS IT GOD OR SATAN
 >II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel,
 >and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Isreal and Judah.
 >
 >I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Isreal, and provoked David to
 >number Israel.

This one I can handle.  Maybe they *both* wanted David to do it, but for
different reasons.  But let me see what Archer says...   He says (on pages
186-188) that Satan definitely wanted to harm David, like he does to anyone
else.  And David had begun to trust in his resources too much, so God
may have wanted David to learn a lesson to trust him.  Archer says God's
attitude may have been "All right, go ahead and do it.  Then you will find
out how much good it will do you."

 >The GENEALOGY OF JESUS?
 >In two places in the New Testament the genealogy of Jesus son of Mary (PBUH)
 >is mentioned. Matthew 1:6-16 and Luke 3:23-31. Each gives the ancestors of
 >Joseph the CLAIMED husband of Mary and Step father of Jesus(PBUH). The first
 >one starts from Abraham(verse 2) all the way down to Jesus. The second
 >one from Jesus all the way back to Adam. The only common name to these two
 >lists between David and Jesus is JOSEPH, How can this be true?  and also
 >How can Jesus have a genealogy when all Muslims and most Christians believe
 >that Jesus had/has no father.

I do know the basics about this question but I will pull the details from
Archer, page 316.  Matthew, the gospel meant largely for the benefit of the
Jews, traces Joseph's ancestry.  As Joseph's adopted son, Jesus was his
legal heir as far as inheritence was concerned, so it was important to
record Joseph's geneology.  Note the pattern in this text is "X the father
of Y", but in verse 16 this pattern is broken, "and Jacob the father of
Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ."
This indicates that Mary bore Jesus but Joseph did not father Him.
About Luke, Archer notes:

	Luke 3:23-38, on the other hand, seems to record the genealogical
	line of Mary herself, carried all the way back beyond the time of
	Abraham to Adam and the commencement of the human race.  This seems
	to be implied by the wording of v. 23: "Jesus ... being (as was
	supposed) the son of Joseph."  This "as was supposed" indicates
	that Jesus was not really the biological son of Joseph, even though
	this was commonly assumed by the public.  It further calls attention
	to the mother, Mary, who must of necessity have been the sole human
	parent through whom Jesus could have descended from a line of
	ancestors.  Her geaneology, is thereupon listed, starting with Heli,
	who was actually Joseph's father-in-law, in contradistinction to
	Joseph's own father, Jacob (Matt. 1:16).  Mary's line of descent
	came through Nahum, a son of Bathsheba (or "Bathshua," according
	to 1 Chron 3:5), the wife of David.  Therefore, Jesus was
	descended naturally through Nathan and legally through Solomon.

 >Now me come to the question, from the above Can somebody says the Bible is
 >God's word? Clearly not!

Yes!

 >                         one would also say that these mistakes are God's,
 >Nay, I don't think a God believing person would dare say that God makes
 >mistakes, don't you agree?

What mistakes?

 >What do Muslims say about the Bible?
 >As MusLims, we say that we believe that Allah has revealed the Tawrat to Moses

That is interesting.  From what I've read of Muslim literature and the
Qua'ran, I can see two points (all quotations are from Arberry's
interpretation, which is the only one I currently have):

	1) The Qua'ran says that God gave Moses the Torah
		S.  5:47 "Surely We sent down the Torah, ..."
		S. 32:24 "Indeed, we have Moses the Book ..."
	2) The Qua'ran says that no man can change God's word
		S.  6:34 "No man can change the words of God..."
	        S. 10:65 "There is no changing the words of God..."

Interestingly, both Mr. Moussaoui and Mr. Deedat claim that Deuteronomy
(which is part of the Torah - the Tawrat, or books of Moses) have been
corrupted, in apparent contradiction to the Qua'ran.  The only possible
Qua'ranic reference I've heard of Biblical corruption is S. 4:47-49, but,
looking at the context, it is not clear at all that this is what the Qua'ran
is saying here.

[etc.]

This could go on an awful long time, and I'm not sure how much the readers
of s.r.i. care to hit 'n' or I, as a grad student and father and husband,
have time to keep these detailed replies up.  But I'm game if it keeps
on going, and I'll do my best.

gwydion@Dyved.csc.ti.com (Basalat Ali Raja) (02/02/90)

>That is interesting.  From what I've read of Muslim literature and the
>Qua'ran, I can see two points (all quotations are from Arberry's
>interpretation, which is the only one I currently have):
>
>	1) The Qua'ran says that God gave Moses the Torah
>		S.  5:47 "Surely We sent down the Torah, ..."
>		S. 32:24 "Indeed, we have Moses the Book ..."
>	2) The Qua'ran says that no man can change God's word
>		S.  6:34 "No man can change the words of God..."
>	        S. 10:65 "There is no changing the words of God..."
>
>Interestingly, both Mr. Moussaoui and Mr. Deedat claim that Deuteronomy
>(which is part of the Torah - the Tawrat, or books of Moses) have been
>corrupted, in apparent contradiction to the Qua'ran.  The only possible
>Qua'ranic reference I've heard of Biblical corruption is S. 4:47-49, but,
>looking at the context, it is not clear at all that this is what the Qua'ran
>is saying here.

This is not very difficult to reconcile - assume that statement 2
is made at a certain point of time.  As such, it logically "protects"
all of God's word present at that point, and in the future.  It
makes no statements about Words of God in the past.  Thus, the
Torah is not covered by this statement.

araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) (02/03/90)

In article <7364@wpi.wpi.edu> bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:

>I'm curious about this.  I've heard Muslims say this, but they never
>seem to have any details (consider how slanderous and blasphemous
>they would consider it if someone had voiced similar questions as to
>the validity of the Qua'ran or Mohammed, even if details were provided).

I think you have a fundamental misconception about Islam.  If someone
voiced similar question about the validity of  the Quran or of Mohammed
without anything to support his statements; then he would most likely
be simply ignored.  If he provided details then these details would be
closely examined.  All adherents to any particular religion claim that
their religion has been challenged and that the challenge was fruitless.

So, at the risk of braggadocio, I'll ask you the same.  Can you really
provide any details that show that the Quran is corrupted?  It seems to
me that your own faith demands that this corruption exist. Can you
point out to us where this is?

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (02/06/90)

In article <7546@wpi.wpi.edu> gwydion@Dyved.csc.ti.com (Basalat Ali Raja) writes:

 >>That is interesting.  From what I've read of Muslim literature and the
 >>Qua'ran, I can see two points (all quotations are from Arberry's
 >>interpretation, which is the only one I currently have):
 >>
 >>	1) The Qua'ran says that God gave Moses the Torah
 >>		S.  5:47 "Surely We sent down the Torah, ..."
 >>		S. 32:24 "Indeed, we have Moses the Book ..."
 >>	2) The Qua'ran says that no man can change God's word
 >>		S.  6:34 "No man can change the words of God..."
 >>	        S. 10:65 "There is no changing the words of God..."
 >>
 >>Interestingly, both Mr. Moussaoui and Mr. Deedat claim that Deuteronomy
 >>(which is part of the Torah - the Tawrat, or books of Moses) have been
 >>corrupted, in apparent contradiction to the Qua'ran.  The only possible
 >>Qua'ranic reference I've heard of Biblical corruption is S. 4:47-49, but,
 >>looking at the context, it is not clear at all that this is what the Qua'ran
 >>is saying here.

 >This is not very difficult to reconcile - assume that statement 2
 >is made at a certain point of time.  As such, it logically "protects"
 >all of God's word present at that point, and in the future.  It
 >makes no statements about Words of God in the past.  Thus, the
 >Torah is not covered by this statement.

I do not see how you can arrive at that.  Looking at both the verses
and their contexts, I see nothing about the verses in #2 above that
would inticate a non-universal time domain.  "No man can change the
words of God" sounds clearly like a statement of fact describing how
the world works.  I see nothing at all that limits its time domain.
If God gives a universal law that nobody can change His word, then
I don't see how the fact that he chose to give it to man at time X
permits this law of God to be void before He chose to give it to man.
--

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (02/06/90)

 bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) Writes:

>I think we all can have misconceptions from time to time, and one of the
>really good things about the net is that it is a place where these
>misconceptions may be challenged and corrected.  But in this particular
>case I don't think I have a misconception.  While I can't claim direct
>statistical knowledge of how Muslims react to someone challenging Qur'anic
>validity, I do believe that in general Muslims definitely react more
>strongly than followers of other religions when someone insults or
>challenges their religion.  The recent events that contrast this were
>the releases of "The Last Temptation of Christ" and "Satanic Verses".
>There were Muslims all over calling for the death of Rushdie.	And not just
>uneducated peasants in a third world country.	I was listening to a talk
>show here about the book and a Muslim woman called in and said that he
>should die (her english was pretty good, so I assume she had been exposed
>to western tolerance some, no matter where she originally came from).
>And I read that Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) also called for Rushdie's
>death from London (he has done some of my favorite songs, including
>"Morning Has Broken".	His death call made me sad since his great
>sensitivity, as evidenced by his songs, didn't translate into tolernace).

	   The American media did much to create the impression that
	   you have by giving a amazing amount of coverage to those
	   Moslems who did agree with the late Imam Khomeini's
	   decree and ignoring all others.  Let me give you some
	   examples.  In Shi'i Islam the highest religious rank is
	   "ayatollah ozma" (Grand Ayatollah).	At the time of the
	   Rushdie Hoopla there were six ayatollah ozmas.  Imam
	   Khomeini was the only ayatollah ozma who gave the decree.
	   When some of the other ayatollah ozmas were interviewed, they
	   said that since they hadn't read the book they had nothing
	   to say about it.  The only ayatollah ozma who said
	   anything that could be interpreted as supporting Imam
	   Khomeini was Montazeri.  He praised Imam Khomeini's "firm
	   stance" against the West, but never explicitly supported
	   the death decree.

	   The fact is that many supporters of Imam Khomeini
	   disagreed with the decree.  For example, the Moslem
	   Students Association at UCLA 's periodical had expressed
	   support for the Islamic Revolution of Iran and Imam
	   Khomeini during the 10th anniversary of Revolution, only a
	   short while before the Rushdie affair.  But during the
	   Rushdie affair they expressed disagreement with the
	   decree.

>Contrast this with the "Last Temptation of Christ".  I think it was
>at least as offensive to Christians as Rushdie's work was to Muslims
>(indeed, I think it was more offensive, at least much more lengthy and
>graphic, from what I've been told).  Christians were calling for
>movie theaters not to show the movie as a matter of good taste, but
>few if any even questioned the right of the film to be produced.
>The director became a celebrity of sorts with the media and was on a
>lot of talk shows.  Do you think Rushdie was invited to tell his side
>of the story in any Muslim countries (not that the US is a Christian
>country)?

	   I haven't seen the movie myself, but I have read several
	   reviews about it.  I understand that:

	   1) It did _not_ portray Jesus Christ as an impostor and a
	      liar.
	   2) It expressed the view that Jesus, like all other human
	      beings, was subject to temptation into sin: BUT,
	      according to the film, JESUS OVERCAME THE TEMPTATION.
	   3) It didn't use abusive language (such as calling St.
	      Mary --God forgive me-- a prostitute, or calling the
	      Christ's closests companions such as Paul, Mark, etc.
	      such epithets as "bum" or "monsterous"

	   I could understand how Christians could feel offended by
	   the film and sympathize with them.  But I don't think the
	   film was as offending as Rushdie's book.

	   Another point is that no Christian was murdered during the
	   protests over the movie.  However, many Moslems were killed
	   in India and Pakistan.  Imam Khomeini's statement came
	   _only_ after these deaths, although the book had already
	   been out for months.

tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney) (02/06/90)

In article <7526@wpi.wpi.edu> the moderator writes:

>Moderator's note:
>
>This subject is getting off the track of the proposed newsgroup outline.
>Followups should be directed to soc.religion.christian or talk.religion.misc.

Fear not.  Since there have been only two replies and neither of them
contained a single point of substance, merely hand-waving about how the
scholastic positions "have been refuted" (apparently, in ways that
these two inerrantist Christians do not think it is important to share
with us), I feel no obligation to continue the discussion.  We do not
get the two newsgroups you mentioned here, unfortunately, but in the
absence of any substantial response I would not continue even if we
did....

"Prisons are built with stones of Law, Brothels with bricks of Religion."
    - Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

gwydion@rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (02/08/90)

In article <7710@wpi.wpi.edu> bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:

>I do not see how you can arrive at that.  Looking at both the verses
>and their contexts, I see nothing about the verses in #2 above that
>would inticate a non-universal time domain.  "No man can change the
>words of God" sounds clearly like a statement of fact describing how
>the world works.  I see nothing at all that limits its time domain.
>If God gives a universal law that nobody can change His word, then
>I don't see how the fact that he chose to give it to man at time X
>permits this law of God to be void before He chose to give it to man.

What is the "Word of God"?  It is the Quran, and nothing else right
now.  The Torah and the Injeel, in their present forms, are NOT the
Word of God.  The originals might or might not be preserved - there
is no non-religious evidence that I have at this time.

It depends on whether you interpret the statement "no man can change
the Word of God" as a law that has been established, or a statement
that is logically true.  My interpretation is that of a law.  It seems
that you prefer it as a statement.  On the whole, I cannot seem to escape
the conclusion that mine makes more sense.

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (02/08/90)

In article <7588@wpi.wpi.edu> araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) writes:
> [...]

Contrast this with the "Last Temptation of Christ".  I think it was
at least as offensive to Christians as Rushdie's work was to Muslims
(indeed, I think it was more offensive, at least much more lengthy and
graphic, from what I've been told).  Christians were calling for
movie theaters not to show the movie as a matter of good taste, but
few if any even questioned the right of the film to be produced.
The director became a celebrity of sorts with the media and was on a
lot of talk shows.  Do you think Rushdie was invited to tell his side
of the story in any Muslim countries (not that the US is a Christian
country)?

>So, at the risk of braggadocio, I'll ask you the same.  Can you really
>provide any details that show that the Quran is corrupted?  It seems to
>me that your own faith demands that this corruption exist. Can you

No, my faith doesn't demand this.  I simply don't think that the Qur'an
is the word of God.  It may be completely devoid of any sort of corruption,
but I don't think the original was from God.  On the other side of the
proverbial coin, however, I do think that Muslims have a problem
when it comes to Biblical corruption (see my followup to
your other posting; I was going to drop it but now I'll folllow up).
The Old Testament gives specific prohpesies about Christ (see Psalm
22, for example - it describes the crucifiction in great detail.  Verse
16 says "... they have pierced my hands and feet.  This Psalm was dated
ca. 1000BC, 800 years before the Romans introduced crucifiction into
the area).  And Jesus' claims to divinity have to be discounted by
Biblical corruption, too.
--

araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) (02/08/90)

In article <7714@wpi.wpi.edu> bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:

>And I read that Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) also called for Rushdie's
>death from London (he has done some of my favorite songs, including
>"Morning Has Broken".  His death call made me sad since his great
>sensitivity, as evidenced by his songs, didn't translate into tolernace).

I found that part rather amusing.  As it turns out, he had been rather
doubtful as to the acceptability of his songs - from what I have heard
him say, he feels that teenagers indulge far too much in idol-worship;
as he was the idol in question, this made him acutely uncomfortable.

Anyway, Yusuf did not call for Rushdie's death.  He said that Khomeni's
call for his death would make life difficult for Rushdie.  Given Rushdie's
behaviour, he seemed to approve of this.  You can accuse him of lack of
sympathy for, and in fact, taking delight at, the misfortunes of a man
that he considers to be a blasphemer.  You cannot accuse him of calling
illegitimately for his death.

>The director became a celebrity of sorts with the media and was on a
>lot of talk shows.  Do you think Rushdie was invited to tell his side
>of the story in any Muslim countries (not that the US is a Christian
>country)?

What side of the story is this?  This is not the first tongue-in-cheek
book he had written.  This was the first time he had made fun of the
Prophet, though - and one does not do that without having the Muslim world
standing up and denouncing one, each Muslim in his own fashion.  I
wonder...  have you read the book?

>No, my faith doesn't demand this.  I simply don't think that the Qur'an
>is the word of God.  It may be completely devoid of any sort of corruption,
>but I don't think the original was from God.  On the other side of the
>proverbial coin, however, I do think that Muslims have a problem
>when it comes to Biblical corruption (see my followup to
>your other posting; I was going to drop it but now I'll folllow up).

Christians do not have a problem with Muslim Scriptures.  Muslims have
a problem with Christian Scriptures.  Assuming that both parties contain
rational human beings, is it not possible to detect a pattern from this?

Muslims view religion as more a science than anything else - it has to
follow the rules of logic just like any other discipline.  Thus, doing
a fine-toothcomb analysis of scriptures is not an uncommon thing in
Islam.  This is possibly one of the reasons why Muslims attempt to apply
their methodology to Christian Scriptures, and do not find themselves
to be satisfied.  One can argue that there are emotional, non-logical
reasons for these, which I suppose is possible.  That, only time will
tell.

>The Old Testament gives specific prohpesies about Christ (see Psalm
>22, for example - it describes the crucifiction in great detail.  Verse
>16 says "... they have pierced my hands and feet.  This Psalm was dated
>ca. 1000BC, 800 years before the Romans introduced crucifiction into
>the area).  And Jesus' claims to divinity have to be discounted by
>Biblical corruption, too.

Um.  This is another interesting topic for debate.  Where did Jesus
lay claim to divinity?   I know the places, etc.  However, I think that
the evidence is nowhere near as clearcut as you would seem to feel.

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (02/10/90)

In article <7878@wpi.wpi.edu> araja@m2.csc.ti.com (Ali Raja) writes:
>Anyway, Yusuf did not call for Rushdie's death.  He said that Khomeni's
>call for his death would make life difficult for Rushdie.  Given Rushdie's
>behaviour, he seemed to approve of this.  You can accuse him of lack of
>sympathy for, and in fact, taking delight at, the misfortunes of a man
>that he considers to be a blasphemer.	You cannot accuse him of calling
>illegitimately for his death.

I heard a television news broadcast that quoted him (i.e. in front of
the camera) while all the furor over this affair was in the news.  And
either I'm losing my marbles (which my self-diagnostics say is possible
but unlikely :-} ) or he said one of two very close things:
	1) He called for Rushdie's death, or
	2) He agreed that Rushdie should die.
In my mind there is little difference, and both make me sad.  BTW your
use of the word "illegitimately" puzzled me - could someone else
legitimately call for Rushdie's death, or is there another circumstance
in which Yusuf Islam could make a legitimate call for someone's death?

>>The director became a celebrity of sorts with the media and was on a
>>lot of talk shows.  Do you think Rushdie was invited to tell his side
>>of the story in any Muslim countries (not that the US is a Christian
>>country)?

>What side of the story is this?  This is not the first tongue-in-cheek
>book he had written.  This was the first time he had made fun of the
>Prophet, though - and one does not do that without having the Muslim world
>standing up and denouncing one, each Muslim in his own fashion.  I
>wonder...  have you read the book?

Oh, maybe the sort of hogwash that the ``Temptation'' director was saying.
Like Muslims shouldn't be offended and this should actually help them
strengthen their faith.  Or telling about the deep artistic meanings of
the book.

Also, denouncing Rushdie is one thing - many Christians have denounced
the producers and sponsors of ``Last Temptation of Christ.''  But calling
for someone's death or rioting is another thing entirely.

No, I didn't read the book - I've never seen a good reason to.	I have
read a number of reviews and synopses, though, so I do think I know
why it is offensive.  Actually it was offensive to me, too.  It would
have been such even if it only insulted Muhammad, since that is a
pointless irritation to Muslims.  But it also insulted Abraham.

Have you read it, Basalat?

>>No, my faith doesn't demand this.  I simply don't think that the Qur'an
>>is the word of God.  It may be completely devoid of any sort of corruption,
>>but I don't think the original was from God.	On the other side of the
>>proverbial coin, however, I do think that Muslims have a problem
>>when it comes to Biblical corruption (see my followup to
>>your other posting; I was going to drop it but now I'll folllow up).

>Christians do not have a problem with Muslim Scriptures.  Muslims have
>a problem with Christian Scriptures.  Assuming that both parties contain
>rational human beings, is it not possible to detect a pattern from this?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Christians don't have a problem with
Qur'anic  corruption (or lack thereof) simply because they don't think
its the word of God and thus don't care too much whether it has been
corrupted.  Muslims, however, do have a problem with the Bible, however,
since it contradicts the Qur'an (or vice versa, if you prefer) but yet
they still believe much of it to be from God.  Thus, to avoid a contradiction
they must say that the Bible has been corrupted.  By they way you worded
the above paragraph were you trying to set up some syllogism that the
"pattern" somehow shows that the Qur'an is uncorrupted or Islam is the
true religion?

>Muslims view religion as more a science than anything else - it has to
>follow the rules of logic just like any other discipline.  Thus, doing
>a fine-toothcomb analysis of scriptures is not an uncommon thing in
>Islam.  This is possibly one of the reasons why Muslims attempt to apply
>their methodology to Christian Scriptures, and do not find themselves
>to be satisfied.  One can argue that there are emotional, non-logical
>reasons for these, which I suppose is possible.  That, only time will
>tell.

What methadology?  (I'm not saying there isn't any, I just have no
idea about what sort of rigorous criteria the Qur'an and Bible are
subjected to, other than ``the Bible must be wrong'').	And how will
time tell?

>>	      And Jesus' claims to divinity have to be discounted by
>>Biblical corruption, too.

>Um.  This is another interesting topic for debate.  Where did Jesus
>lay claim to divinity?   I know the places, etc.  However, I think that
>the evidence is nowhere near as clearcut as you would seem to feel.

I'll hold off on the details unless this new can of worms would be
of interest to the net.  I have heard a number of arguments against
Jesus' divinity, both from Muslims and from ``Christian'' cults
(who deny Jesus' divinity and stress works rather than God's grace
as a means for salvation;  the Jehova's Witnesses and the LDS (aka Mormons)
are prime examples).  But I think the Biblical evidence speaks strongly
of Jesus' divinity.

Um, is this sort of thread (either the way it has gone or the possibility
of a ``divinity of Christ'' thread) of much interest to readers of
soc.religion.islam?  Please send me email if you feel strongly either
way.  I'm not sure I have time for a whole lot more (lets see, its 4 weeks
into the semester so a grad student like me can't be more than 8 weeks
behind ... :-} ), but I certainly don't want to spend time if few people
care.  And, on an unrelated note, I've had requests for more info on Rashad
Khalifa's death and the surrounding speculation and issues, so I'll
try to dig up more info on this this weekend and post it.