[soc.religion.islam] Women in Islam and Jewelry not exempt from Zakat

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Craig Paul) (02/27/90)

>From: youssef%LOCAL@cs.umn.edu (Habib Youssef)
>  "They (the wives) are a garnment for you and you are a garment for them"
>  (Surah 2, Verse 157).

That verse is somewhere but not 2:157. I have 2:157 as follows
"It is they upon whom their Sustainer's blessings and grace are bestowed,
 and it is they who are on the right path."

>Al Ghazali [1] cites the example of a girl who complained to Prophet
>Muhammad (pbu) that her parents contracted her marriage without her consent.
>The prophet (pbu), thereupon, ordered that the marriage be annulled. However,
>the girl changed her mind, saying that actually she came to like her husband.

Sahih al Bukhari Book 62, Chapter 43 - The woman didn't change her mind.

There is another case in which the woman was testing the ruling to prove a
point. She really didn't intend to have her marriage annulled.

>It should be mentioned that a woman has the fullest right to divorce her
>husband, if reasonable grounds exist.

2:228
"And the divorced woman shall undergo, without remarrying, a waiting period
 of three monthly courses: for it is not lawful for them to conceal what God
 may have created in their wombs, if they believe in God and the Last Day.
 And during this period their husbands are fully entitled to take them back,
 if they desire reconciliation; but, in accordance with justice, the rights of
 the wives [with regard to their husbands] are equal to the [husbands'] right
 with regards to them, although men have precedence over them [in this
 respect]. And God is almightly, wise."

See also Sahih al Bukhari Book 63.

>night's distance without escort, she may not be left alone with a man
>(an outsider), whether in her home or outside it.

Sahih al Bukhari Book 62, Chapter 113 - A private meeting between a man and
a woman is allowed when they are not secluded from the people.

Verse 161 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
An Ansari woman came to the Prophet (PBUH) and he took her aside and said
(to her), "By Allah, you (Ansar) are the most beloved people to me."
-----
Zakat and Jewelry from Women

Sahih al Bukhari, Book 24. Women do give jewelry as Zakat.
-----
As an indication of the mixed signals regarding women to be found in
the ahadith I offer Book 6 (The Book of Menses), Chapter 8, verse 301

'Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri: One Allah's Apostle (PBUH) went out to
 the Musalla (to offer the prayer) of Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer.
 Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I hve
 seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you
 (women)." They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle (PBUH)?" He
 replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I
 have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than
 you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you."
 The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle (PBUH)! What is deficient in our
 intelligence and religion?" He said, "Is not the evidence of two women
 equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He
 said, "This is the deficiency in your intelligence. Isn't it true that
 a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women
 replied in the affirmative. He said, "This is the deficiency in your
 religion."'

This may indeed be a "weak" hadith and seems to contravene some Qur'anic
verses and other ahadith. One must, it seems, be cautious while contemplating
the ahadith!