[soc.religion.islam] Iman and Kufr

gwydion@rice.edud (Basalat Ali Raja) (02/27/90)

In article <34518@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> walid@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Walid S. Al-Sabah) writes:
ali-raja>teachings, and accept them as being the teachings of a great man, and
ali-raja>yet deny his Prophethood.  Then, one can not be a Muslim.  Yet, this
ali-raja>does not make one a Kafir.

>This is not true.  A condition of Iman, belief, is the belief in
>Allah and His messengers one of whom is Muhammad Peace be upon him.
>Thus if one denies the prophethood of Muhammad that person is a
>KAFIR.

It depends on one's definition of KAFIR, as you choose to put it.
Literally, the word "kafir" means a "denier".  When I used the
word Kafir, I meant it to further mean one who denies the existence
of Allah - you are using it to mean one who denies the Prophethood
of Mohammad [pbuh].  I used it in the context that I did, because
it serves as a  convenient label, useful in distinguishing from
the Ahl-Kitab, who are not deniers of Allah, but are deniers of the
Quran.  This is the most frequent usage of Kaffir that I have seen.