[soc.religion.islam] Kafir

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (02/28/90)

In article <16286@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sdodd@nyevax.cas.orst.edu (Stephen M. Dodd) writes:

>The 'people of the book' have no bearing on this.  Anyone who denys the
>Prophethood of Muhammad (SAAWS) also denys the Qur'an and the concept of
>Allah as described in the Qur'an.  Therefore there is no allowed category
>in Islam for one who accepts Allah but not Muhammad.  These cannot be
>included in the set of Muslims or believers.

There is something I do not understand here, and call for further
clarification.  It relates to the status of the people of the
book.

You state that there is no allowed catagory in Islam for one who
accepts Allah but not Mohammed [saws].  However, the Quran is full
of references to the People of the Book.  These are distinguised
from the Kuffar in many cases.  As an example, I refer you to the
reference in the Quran about the Christians, Jews and Sabeans.
These are the people who, if they do right works and believe in
Allah, will enter heaven. [If you are not familiar with the verse,
I can look up the reference for you - I don't have a copy handy
right now].  This would certainly be a very important distinction
which you do not seem to consider important.  Please explain your
viewpoint in greater detail.