[soc.religion.islam] Biblical Trinity is shirk

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/14/90)

In article <18849@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@megaron.cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:
>I do not think the Bible is limiting the one God to three of anything -
>it may well be due to man's (relatively) severe limitations that He
>chose to explain Himself to man in this way.  And my examples were
>meant to show that some things have multiple attributes/whatever,
>not to be a complete analogy for the infinite God.

I agree that God can have multiple attributes.  I agree that God can
even present Himself in human form (as far as my limited understanding
goes).  I even agree that it is possible for God to have a son.  That
all, however, does not mean that God DID present Himself in human
form.  It does not mean that God DOES have a son.

The Quran tells us that it is beneath the dignity of God to have a
son.  The Christians believe otherwise.

[8:35] It beseems not Allah that He should take to Himself a son,
       glory to be Him; when He has decreed a matter He only says
       to it "Be", and it is.

(warning: your translation might have a different number; if you cannot
find it, look for this Ayat AROUND 35 or so.  I am using the Shakir
translation).

The Quran says that Jesus - the person who walked in Judea 2000 years
ago, was a mortal human being.  Nothing more.  He was a created being
just like the rest of us.

In the Bible, people are referred to as the sons of God all the time,
just as Jesus.  However, by the Christians, all of these references
are interpreted as being metaphorical, except for the references to
Jesus.

>I did not say the Muslims did not understand the Trinity.  I said *I* did
>not understand the theological or practical problems they had with the
>doctrine.  And I hoped to learn some about this, and I certainly have!

I believe the Muslim attitude is that the Trinity is a hyped up
mystery.  It is an attempt to still stay within the monotheistic
framework and yet give divine attributes to Jesus.

There are two types of things which we come across in the matter
of human thought.  One type is a mystery.  This occurs when we do
not have enough information about what we are trying to discuss
and nothing more can be said about the matter, simply because we do
not understand enough.  The other type is a contradiction.  Nothing
more can be said about the matter because one of the premises is
false.

I believe that the trinity is better referred to as a contradiction,
not a mystery.  There are three members of the trinity - The Father,
the son, and the holy ghost.  The holy ghost is the angel Gabriel that
spoke to Mary:

[19:17] So she took a veil (to screen herself) from them; then We
        sent to her Our spirit; and there appeared to her a well-made
        man.
[19:18] She said: Surely I fly for refuge from you to the Beneficient
        God, if you are one guarding (against evil).
[19:19] He siad: I am only a messenger of your Lord: That I will give
        you a pure boy.

The son is Jesus, who possessed no divine qualities.  The Father is,
of course, the One God, who begets not, nor is begotten.

There you have it: a simple explanation of the mystery of the
Trinity.

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/15/90)

[this discussion is much more appropriate to soc.religion.islam
 than soc.culture.arabic.  I am directing followups to that
 newsgroup]

In article <18850@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@megaron.cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:
>But we need to apply Occam's razor to my earlier question.  Do not
>confuse the issue of whether Jesus is a member of the Trinity.  My
>question was more general: what are the Qur'anic, hadithal (if thats
>a word :-), and/or historical reasons for Muslims disagreeing with
>the doctrine of the Trinity.  This was a sincere question by which
>I hoped to learn more about what Muslims believe and why they do.

I have provided several references from the Quran in soc.religion.islam
for Muslims rejecting the Trinity.  I am no historian, and I can only
speculate at best.  My opinion, for what it is worth, is that Muslims
tend to be interested in straightforward answers.  If you will excuse
me for saying so, without all the associated superstition, the mystery
of the Trinity is a simple contradiction.

This given, with the totally human nature of Jesus in the Quran, as
well as the supernatural but non-divine nature of the Holy Ghost, is
enough to make Muslims reject the Trinity.

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/20/90)

In article <18850@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@megaron.cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:

>question was more general: what are the Qur'anic, hadithal (if thats
>a word :-), and/or historical reasons for Muslims disagreeing with
>the doctrine of the Trinity.

I might continue on the discussion that has been going on.  I believe
the question has been raised that the Quran might not be opposed to
the Trinity.  This depends on the definition of the Trinity.  Consider
the following verse [Shakir Translation].

[5:73] Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely Allah is the third
(person) of the three; and there is no god but the one God, and if
they desist not from what they say, a painful chastisement shall
befall those among them who disbeleive.

I believe it has been pointed out that the Trinity does not refer
to three gods, but rather to One God in different forms.  It *might*
then be possible to say that the above verse does not refer to many
Christians.  However, let us consider the following verse:

[4:171] O followers of the Book! do not exceeed the limits in your
religion, and do not speak (lies)  against Allah, but (speak) the
truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an Apostle of Allah
and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him;
believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God, far be it from
His glory that He should have a son; whatever is in the heavens and
whatever is in the earth is His; and Allah is sufficient for a
Protector.

One can define the Trinity as three distinct gods, one god in three
distinct forms, one god in one form which manifested himself in three
ways etc.

However, whenever the concept of three enters the equation, one will
find oneself in opposition to the Quran.  This is an absolutely
uncompromising rejection of the Trinity in any recognizable form.

It is interesting to note that the word Trinity is mentioned only once
in the Bible and the Quran - that is in the above verse.

Also, in reference to Jesus being the only begotten son of god:
Chapter 112: The Unity
1) Say: He, Allah, is One.
2) Allah is He on Whom all depend.
3) He begets not, nor is He begotten.
4) And none is like Him.

Again, this is a rejection of Jesus as being the only begotten son
of God.  It seems that the word "begotten" has also been removed
from newer editions of the Bible, in certain cases, as it was not
in the original texts.

In both cases, there seems to be enough reasons based on the Quran
to reject the Trinity.