kolling@src.dec.com (Karen Kolling) (02/27/90)

From: sci!ali@decwrl.dec.com (Aliasgar Haveliwala)
>I would like to know if any one on the net is aware of any courses that are
>offerred around the San Francisco Area for learning Arabic. I would be
>extremely interested in joining one. This would in my opinion be also a good
>course to take for all muslim brothers whose mother tongue is not arabic.

SFSU has classes in spoken Palestinian Arabic.  Stanford has classes in
spoken and written Classical Arabic.  I believe UC Berkeley has classes as
well, but I've forgotten exactly what they are.

abbas@sunb4.cs.uiuc.edu (02/28/90)

Did you check with the universities in San Fransico.  I believe Stanford
is in the area.  Check with the linguisitic or Political Science or
Middle East classes.  To my knowledge most big universities has a department
of Arabic and Hebrew.  You can attend those classes as audit, or register
as special or non-degree student.

diwan@sj.ate.slb.com (Abdul Diwan) (03/21/90)

In article <9196@wpi.wpi.edu> abbas@sunb4.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Did you check with the universities in San Fransico.  I believe Stanford
>is in the area.  Check with the linguisitic or Political Science or
>Middle East classes.  To my knowledge most big universities has a department
>of Arabic and Hebrew.  You can attend those classes as audit, or register
>as special or non-degree student.

	If you are in San Francisco, then your best bet is University
	of San Francisco.  There was a posting at a local Mosque that
	they were running two Semester (quarter) course in Basic Arabic
	and Advanced arabic.

	If you live in San Jose, Contact Islamic Center on 3rd street,
	San Jose, they have a class every wednesday night at 7:30.
	There is nominal  charge.

	If you are interested in understanding Al-Quran there is tafseer
	or explanation of Holy Quran in english on Friday evenings,
	and in urdu on Sat  afternoon. These are given by a very learned
	person, who has a Ph.D, in Islamic studies, and has studied in
	Al-Azhar..(Cairo) university.