[soc.religion.islam] Allah and God

aabiyaba@athena.mit.edu (03/17/90)

I'm writing in response to W. B. Baker's question about the words "Allah"
and "God" in soc.religion.islam.

I believe that "Allah" is the contracted form of "Al Illah" which is the
Arabic for "The God" or "The One-and-Only God".
As far as I know "Al Illah" is never used as such but linguists have suggested
that origin for "Allah".  (A native Arabic speaker might consider responding).

I understand that pre-Islamic monotheistic Arabs used "Allah" to denote "God"
as opposed to the pagans who referred to their "god(s)".

Although "God" is the closest English translation of "Allah" and could be used
in the phrase "Mohammed is the Messenger of God", "Allah" carries a sense of
Oneness [unity] which Christian English-speaking cultures do not associate with
the word "God".  To distinguish from the concept of the triune God of
Christian cultures, it might be better to always use "Allah".

It is quite unfortunate that Mr. Baker's friends think of fanatics when they
hear the word "Allah"; it is indicative of the widespread misunderstanding
about the Last Religion^ to be Revealed to Humankind by Allah: Islam.

Ahmed Biyabani

^ Religion: 	This is another poorly understood term as it relates to Islam.
		I don't have the time to pursue it here but one might
		consider the overlap (in English) between "religion",
		"faith", "way of life" and "belief".  To use the Arabic term,
		Islam is Allah's only legitimate "deen" and Mohammed
		[peace be upon him] was chosen to deliver Islam's final form,
		i.e., the culmination of Islam as delivered through earlier
		prophets.

MASHAR01%ULKYVX.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu (03/22/90)

>   What are the distinctions between the words "Allah" and
>   "God," particularly in the minds of most Muslims?  Are they
>   more than just the same word but in different languages?  Do
>   they have different meanings, and should they have different
>   meanings?

    The reference to "God" has become quite context sensitive.
    Sometimes "God" is referred to as "god," as "God" in the Old
    Testament, as "God" in the New Testament, and as "God" in the
    Islamic sense. Because people use "God" in many contexts I
    prefer to use "Allah" when referring to "God" in the Islamic
    sense.

>    I know that many of my friends, when they hear "Allah," think
>    of fanatical terrorists.

    It is likely that people such as the above  will have the
    same opinion about Islam and Muslims regardless of what
    others may explain to them.  I wouldn't waste my time trying
    to change their opinions.

>    Is it proper, for example, to say "Muhammed is a messenger
>    from God," as well as "Muhammed is a messenger from Allah?"

    Obviously, because of my preference in the first paragraph, I
    use "Allah." Also, I prefer the translation "There is no God
    but Allah, and Muhammed (Pbuh) is the seal of all prophets."

    Matheen Shareef                      bitnet%"OPRMAS@ulkyvx"

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/23/90)

In article <5440@accuvax.nwu.edu> MASHAR01%ULKYVX.BITNET@jade.berkeley.edu writes:

>>    Is it proper, for example, to say "Muhammed is a messenger
>>    from God," as well as "Muhammed is a messenger from Allah?"
>
>    Obviously, because of my preference in the first paragraph, I
>    use "Allah." Also, I prefer the translation "There is no God
>    but Allah, and Muhammed (Pbuh) is the seal of all prophets."

My personal preference is to use the translation "There is no god
but God, and Muhammad is His Prophet".  [Almost exact translation
of "la ila ha illul la ho muhammadun rasul allah"].

However, I agree that it  might be better to use Allah instead of
God.  The god of the Trinity is a different god from Allah, in one
sense, in that Allah does not have Jesus as a son, nor is he to be
associated with the Holy Ghost.

On the other hand, when one uses the word "God" to refer to a diety,
or rather THE Diety, then the word Allah can be used instead.  That
is what the word "allah" means, in Arabic.  Essentially, I would say
that the word "god" covers the meanings that "allah" might be used
in, but the converse is not true - thus "allah" is the more precise
term.

khan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Iqbal Mustafa Khan) (03/23/90)

In article <10048@wpi.wpi.edu> gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) writes:

>God.  The god of the Trinity is a different god from Allah, in one
>sense, in that Allah does not have Jesus as a son, nor is he to be
>associated with the Holy Ghost.

I have seen Allah being used in an arabic translation of Bible.  I think,
it is not important whether we use Allah or God, because the moment we
attach the second part, "Mohammad is His messenger", it automatically makes
it a muslims belief.

Iqbal Mustafa Khan

aecder@venus.ycc.yale.edu (04/08/90)

In article <5933@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ray@geac.com (Ray Raheem) writes:
# Is it true that the arabic word "Allah" has no plural and also has no gender
# (male or female) ?.

Yes, it is true. Under the influence of Christianity some people use
pronouns like 'He' or 'Him'.