[soc.religion.islam] INTERFAITH MARRIAGES

khan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Iqbal Mustafa Khan) (04/09/90)

In article <10718@wpi.wpi.edu> jzubairi@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Junaid Ahmed Zubairi) writes:

>muslim men is concerned. I have no doubt that a Muslim man can marry
>a Jewish/Christian woman but converse is not allowed. Also anything which
>is to be done in your bedroom is not to be done in public. This includes
>kissing husband/wife also. Islam is "conservative" and is not "liberal"

I agree with Junaid on the point of Interfaith marriages.  However, I have
not been able to find any evidence that ISLAM prohibits, for example, a
husband kissing his wife in public.  I do know that under the laws of
Pakistan, this is considered indecent and thus banned.  However, in
Pakistan, a mother giving her son an affectionate kiss is never looked upon
as bad, but a husband kissing his wife would automatically be equated as
sexual and thus prohibited.  I think culture has a lot to do with these
restrictions than Islam.