[soc.religion.islam] Quranic position on the interaction of Men and Women

beekun@unssun.nevada.edu ("R. I. Beekun") (05/26/90)

In article <13023@wpi.wpi.edu> aj3u@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU writes:

>I am looking for verses in the Quran that assert a certain specific position
>on the following points
>
>- hijaab

The question of Hijab is covered in the QUr'an in Surah Nur (Chapter 24:
30-31). The word "zeenat" describes the "natural beauty/ornaments" women are
to cover. This verse also discusses the use of the headcover (khumur) which
is to be drawn over the neck and extended over the chest. Please note that
Gamal Badawi has a small booklet where he discusses the dress code in Islam;
you may want to look it up.

There is a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (PHUH) where Asma' (daughter of
Abu Bakr) came to visit her sister Aisha (wife of the Prophet-PBUH). When
he noted that Asma's dress was not thick enough and did not cover her properly,
he turned his face in anger, and said, "If the woman reaches the age of
puberty, no part of her body should be seen, but this", and he pointed out to
his face and his hands.

>- how men should interact with women they are allowed to marry
>- how men should interact with women they are not allowed to marry

The same verse (Chapter 24: 30-31) talks about the interaction between
man and woman:

    Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and
    guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them:
    And Allah is well acquainted with all they do.

    Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and
    guard their modesty; ......

So when talking to a woman, you should not be staring at her (undressing
her with your mind). Islam seeks to prevent rather than cure.

>I am familiar with numerous hadith that deal with the above issues,
>and feel that a Quranic reference would be more authoritative.
>
>Asim Jalis.

Abu Syed Marwan
:... We decreed for the children of   :                                    :
:Israel that whosoever kills a human  :                                    :
:being for other than manslaughter or :                 / |        ""    | :
:corruption in the earth, it shall be :               /   |         |  | | :
:as though he had killed all mankind, :              |    |    __|  |  | | :
:and whoso saves the life of one, it  :      ____|___|    |   <__|__|__| | :
:shall be as though he had saved the  :     |  *                           :
:life of all mankind. (Qur'an 5: 32)  :  _ /                               :