[soc.religion.islam] POLYGAMY

rs@alux5.att.com (Rajeev Sehgal) (05/26/90)

In article <12944@wpi.wpi.edu> swjackson@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Stanley J) writes:
#
#In article <12927@wpi.wpi.edu> 2fjjcorset@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
##I have the following questions on polygamy:
##1. Is polyandry (the correct definition) allowed in Islam?
##2. Why?
#
#In answer:  Why not?
#
#In fact, in these times of overcrowding wouldn't be ideal for two or three
#men to mary a single woman?  That is perhaps a *useful* form of polygamy.
#
#								-frog

I donot think so. It is against the nature.

Is it OK in Islam if it is other way around. i.e. For women to
practice polygamy??

							-kermit

beekun@unssun.nevada.edu ("R. I. Beekun") (05/26/90)

In article <8274@accuvax.nwu.edu> rs@alux5.att.com (Rajeev Sehgal) writes:
>In article <12944@wpi.wpi.edu> swjackson@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Stanley J) writes:
>#
>#
>#In article <12927@wpi.wpi.edu> 2fjjcorset@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>##I have the following questions on polygamy:
>##1. Is polyandry (the correct definition) allowed in Islam?
>##2. Why?
>#
>#In answer:  Why not?
>#
>#In fact, in these times of overcrowding wouldn't be ideal for two or three
>#men to mary a single woman?  That is perhaps a *useful* form of polygamy.
>#
>#								-frog
>

>I donot think so. It is against the nature.
>
>Is it OK in Islam if it is other way around. i.e. For women to
>practice polygamy??
>
>							-kermit

Polygyny is allowed in Islam, but polyandry (several men married to one
woman) is not.

Why?

Let me first give you a quote from Dr Annie Besant, a Non-Muslim woman
cited in Renaissance Islamique published by SIM, Muharram 1399, Vol 3.1,
"When we see thousands of miserable women who crowd the streets of
Western towns during the night, we must surely feel that it does not lie
in Western mouths to repeat Islam for its polygamy. It is better for a
woman to live in Islamic polygamy, united to one man only, with a legi-
timate child, surrounded by respect than to be seduced, cast out in the
strets, perhaps with an illegitimate child outside the pale of law--
unsheltered and uncared for to become a victime of yet another passer-by;
night after night, incapable of motherhood, and despised by all!"

To begin with, other religions (Judaism, see S. D. Goitein in "Jews
and Arabs" (1964) and Mormons practice or have practiced polygyny. The
Prophets (Peace be upon them all) Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon all
practiced polygyny, and these were not just Muslim prophets. At the
time of biblical revelations, polygamy was accepted practice, and it is
possible that is why the Bible does not deal with it.

Islam again tries to prevent excesses (many men were getting carried
away in pre-Islamic times). Consequently, the rules for polygamy are
as follows:
(1) Polygamy is permissible under certain conditions and under certain
    circumstances. It is *not* an article of faith.
(2) A maximum of 4 wives is allowed whereas during pre-Islamic times no
    limits were set.
(3) The other wives after the 1st one must receive equal treatment/
    provisions/kindness/love.

        Marry women of your choice,
        Two, or three, or four;
        But if you fear that you shall not
        Be able to deal justly with them,
        Then only one...    (Qur'an: chapter 4, verse 3)

(4) Polygamy is thus an exception to the ordinary course--a last resort
    to solve some social and moral problems, such as during times of
    war when more men are getting killed.

Why does Islam allow polygamy?
1. Remember the background in which it was revealed. It is more to
   serve as a means of protection for widows and orphans of war.
2. Generally, a woman has a longer time span, and is very likely
   to lose the protection of her husband when she needs it the most,
   i.e. during her old age.
3. Islam wished to protect the integrity and morale of society. Last
   year, 49% of all marriages in the USA ended in divorce. Many of them
   were due to indiscriminate copulation outside the institution of
   marriage. Islam wished to stop such decadent and cruel behavior.
4. Some women are unable to bear children--one of the primary purpose
   of wedlock. Instead of engaging in adultery or child adoption or
   surrogate parenthood, Islam allows a man to have more than one wife.
5. During certain times, a woman is menstruating or is pregnant. Instead
   of adultery, polygamy is allowed.

Finally, Islam is not the Word of man, but of Allah--our Creator. When He
forbad alcohol, all Muslims were regarded as backward and unsophisticated.
Now, who drinks and dares to drive? When He forbad homosexuality, Muslims
were regarded as again being "afraid to try it"; tell that to the AIDS
crowd.

Allah knows best: he allows polygamy within certain limits. As for
myself, I do not wish to be polygamous; one wife is just about right for
me. Physically, I do like the "periodic" break; emotionally, I feel
I cannot handle more than one person; psychologically, the idea of more
duplicates of my current mother-in-law is terrifying.

Abu Syed Marwan
:... We decreed for the children of   :                                    :
:Israel that whosoever kills a human  :                                    :
:being for other than manslaughter or :                 / |        ""    | :
:corruption in the earth, it shall be :               /   |         |  | | :
:as though he had killed all mankind, :              |    |    __|  |  | | :
:and whoso saves the life of one, it  :      ____|___|    |   <__|__|__| | :
:shall be as though he had saved the  :     |  *                           :
:life of all mankind. (Qur'an 5: 32)  :  _ /                               :