[soc.religion.islam] Women in Islam.

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (02/27/90)

               [ nice analysis of 4:35; long, but worth it. --Naim ]

In the Name of God.

>From: ajax@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Scott Taddiken)
>
>4:35 (from "Women"):
>
>		 Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one
>	 superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to
>	 maintain them.  Good women are obedient.  They guard their unseen
>	 parts because Allah has guarded them.	As for those from whom you
>	 fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and
>	 beat them.  Then if they obey you, take no further action against
>	 them.	Allah is high, supreme.
>
>					 --translation by N. J. Dawood
>
>	 In retrospect, I think this may be a mistranslation...

	   (Note: 1. Since reading this article requires continual
	   cross-reference, it will be easier for the reader to get
	   a print-out of this posting.  2. Although inevitably
	   Arabic words are used in this article, no knowledge of
	   Arabic is required for understanding it.)

	   Verse iv:34 of the holy Quran is a verse for which there
	   are a number of different translations.  There are several
	   words in the verse that have been translated in various
	   ways.  Depending on what permutation of the translation of
	   these words you take, you are going to get significantly
	   different meanings.

	   This article will be the first of two postings discussing
	   this verse.	This article will discuss the first part of
	   the verse--the more controversial one-- and the next
	   article will discuss the second and third parts of the
	   verse.  The next article will be written after I am done
	   with my finals.  That will be three to four weeks from
	   now.

	   I do have my own biases.  After doing some reading and
	   research on this verse and other relevant verses of the
	   Quran, I couldn't escape the conclusion that
	   interpretations such as Dawood's come from men who are
	   desirous of finding Quranic justification for male
	   supremacy.

	   However, I am not going to argue one way or the other as
	   to what the correct meaning of this verse is.  I will
	   mention the various existing translations and
	   interpretations of this verse and let the reader decide
	   for himself.  When it comes to the translation of the
	   crucial words, I will cite _all_ occurrences of the word in
	   other passages of the Quran, something that enables us to
	   gain an appreciation of the possible meanings of a word in
	   its Quranic context.

	   First Part.

	   This table contains the phonetic transliteration of the
	   first part of the verse juxtaposed with the various
	   conflicting translations of each word.

iv:34
Ar-rijalu     qawwamuna      ala-n   nisa-i    bi ma

	      protectors
Men (are)     maintainers    over    women     with what
	      supporters     of 	       because
	      guardians 		       in those things which
	      in charge
	      guides
	      agents
fadhdhala-llahu 	      ba'dhahum ala ba'dh-in	   wa

God gave more to	      some over/than others	   and
God bestowed more upon
God gave an advantage
God preferred
God favored with more
God made excel
God made superior
bi ma		       anfaqu min-amwalihim

with what	       they [men] spend/give from their possessions
because
in those things which

	   Beneath is the meaning of the same passage according to
	   the famous translations of Yusuf Ali and Muhammad Asad.  I
	   will compare and contrast these two translations in the
	   light of the above table. Muhammad Asad's translation is
	   notable in that it is apparently the only English
	   translation of the Quran by someone whose mother tongue is
	   Arabic.

       Muhammad Asad			      Yusuf Ali

   Men Shall take full care of		 Men are the protectors
   women with the bounties which	 And maintainers of women,
   God has bestowed more		 Because God has given
   abundantly on the former than	 The one more (strength)
   on the latter, and with what 	 Than the other, and because
   they may spend out of their		 They support them from their means
   possessions.

	   (Please refer to the above table + translations by Dawood,
	   Asad, and Y.Ali for the rest of the article).

	   DISCUSSION:

	   There are three words or phrases for which there are
	   differing translations: qawwam, bi ma, and fadhdhala.

1.     The word 'qawwam.'

	   Yusuf Ali translates it as 'protectors and maintainers':
	   "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women
	   because..."

	   Muhammad Asad translates qawwam as 'supporters' and
	   'care-takers': "Men shall take full care of women with
	   what..."

	   According to Dawood, it means 'in charge of': "Men have
	   authority over women because..."

	   In the footnote to this verse Yusuf Ali discusses the
	   meaning of qawwam:

	     Qawwam: one whose stands firm in another's business,
	     protects his interests, and looks after his affairs; or it
	     may be, standing firm in his own business, managing
	     affairs with a steady purpose. Cf. iv. 135

	   This Yusuf Ali's interpretation of qawwam fits all
	   occurrences of the word in the Quran.  In addition to the
	   verse under discussion, these verses include: 4:135 and
	   5:8.

	   iv:135

	     Ya 'ayyuhal lazina aamanu kunu qawwamina bil qist
	     (O those who have believed, Be qawwamin to/of/with justice.)

	   Which Yusuf Ali translates as:

	     O ye who believe!	Stand firmly For justice

	   Also, v:8

	     Ya 'ayyuhal Lazina aamanu kunu qawwamina lillahi ...
	     (O those who have believed, Be qawwamin to/of/with God.)

	   Which Yusuf Ali translates as:

	     O ye who believe!	Stand firmly for God...

	   We see that in both cases, the translation "stand firmly
	   for..." or "support" fits the context perfectly.  In
	   neither case do the translations "be in charge of..." or
	   "Have authority over..." make any sense.

	   In the verse under discussion, translations such as "Men
	   should stand firmly for women ...," or "Men should support
	   women with what...," or "Men should take full care of
	   women with what..." fit the context too.

	   In a sense, both of the cited translations of Yusuf Ali
	   and Muhammad Asad convey this idea of 'support' as well.
	   For Yusuf Ali, this support is on account of 1) men's
	   physical strength [although no mention of strength is made
	   in the Quranic verse itself] and 2) the fact that they
	   presumably support women financially. For Muhammad Asad,
	   this support includes those matter in which God has
	   bestowed more to the man than the woman, including
	   financial matters:

	     Men Shall take full care of women with the bounties which
	     God has bestowed more abundantly on the former than on the
	     latter, and with what they may spend out of their
	     possessions...

	   Thomas Irving's translation, too, chooses the same
	   meaning: "Men are the ones who should support women..."

2.	The world 'fadhdhala.'

	   The existing translations of this verb fall into two
	   categories:

	   1) [God] 'gave (bestowed) more' or 'gave an advantage' or
	   'favored with more.'
	   and
	   2) [God] 'made [some] excel [over]' or 'made superior.'

	   The second category often implies innate superiority,
	   whereas the the first translation does not.

	   Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Asad, Ahmed Ali, and Dr. Thomas Irving
	   choose the first translation.  Dawood and Pickthal chose
	   the second one. (Compare translations at the beginning of
	   this article).

	   In the appendix which appears at the end of this posting,
	   all other verses containing any conjugation of the verb
	   fadhdhala in the active form are cited along with their
	   translations.  The reader is invited to read through them.

	   Probably the closest of these verses in context to the one
	   we are discussing (iv:34) is verse iv:32.  It comes only
	   two verses earlier, it is about men and women, and it
	   contains the phrase "FADHDHALA-llahu ... ba'dhakum ala
	   ba'dhin" which is similar to our "FADHDHALA-llahu
	   ba'dhahum ala ba'dhin." Here is the verse:

4:32,

wa la tatamannaw ma fadhdhala-llahu bi hi ba'dhakum ala ba'dhin
And don't covet what God FADHDHALA more on some than others

li-r Rijali nasibun mimma-ktasabu wa li-n nisaa-i nasibun mimma-ktasabna
To men is alloted  what they earn and to women is alloted what they earn

Wa-s'alu-llaha	min fadhlihi	  inna-llaha kana bi kulli shay'in alimaa
And ask God of His bounty/gifts.  Indeed God is fully aware of all things.

    Yusuf Ali:

    And in no wise covet
    Those things in which God
    Hath bestowed His gifts
    More freely on some of you
    Than others: to men
    Is alloted what they earn,
    And to women what they earn:
    But ask god of His bounty.
    For God hath full knowledge
    Of all things.

3.	The words 'bi ma.'

	   The two translations for "bi ma" are 'with what' and
	   'because.' Muhammad Asad chooses 'with what' and Yusuf Ali
	   chooses 'because.'  (The proposition "bi" commonly means
	   'with' or 'to' and "ma" commonly means 'what'.)

	   At first glance it may seem insignificant which
	   translation is selected.  But a brief inspection of the
	   verse shows that the choice of the translation is crucial.
	   To some extent, it effects how fadhdhala is interpreted.
	   If "bi ma" is translated into 'with what,' then it will be
	   impossible to translate fadhdhala into 'made superior.'
	   Likewise, any other translations which imply superiority
	   of males would be impossibles.  It also affects how
	   qawwamun is interpreted.  If "bi ma" is translated into
	   'with what' then qawwamun cannot be translated into 'in
	   charge of.' Likewise all other translations of qawwamun
	   which imply male control over females would be impossible.
	   On the other hand, translation of "bi ma" into 'because'
	   does not influence the interpretation of the words
	   fadhdhala and qawwamun.

	   Another existing translation which is far more similar to
	   'with what' than 'because' is 'in those things which' or
	   'in matters where.' An excerpt from an article by Azizah
	   al-Hibri chooses this translation.  The author also offers
	   a translation of 'qawwam' which is different than 'stand
	   firmly for' or 'support', namely 'guide' or 'care for.'
	   I end this posting with the excerpt.

<BEGINNING OF EXCERPT>

	   [the view of male supremacy] is supported mainly by the
	   following passage in the Qur'an:

	      'Men are 'qawwamun' over women in matters where God gave
	      some of them more than others, and in what they spend of
	      their money'

	   The word 'qawwamun' is a difficult word to translate.
	   Some writers translate it as 'protectors' and
	   'maintainers.' However, this is not quite accurate.	The
	   basic notion involved here is one of moral guidance and
	   caring.

	   Many men interpreted the above passage as one which puts
	   men in charge of women's affairs because men were created
	   by God superior to women (in strength and reason), and
	   because they provide for women (they spend their money on
	   them).  However, this interpretation ... is (i)
	   unwarranted and (ii) inconsistent with other Islamic
	   teachings.

	   Let me first show that (i) the interpretation is
	   unwarranted.  To start with, nowhere in the passage is
	   there a reference to the male's physical or intellectual
	   superiority.  Secondly, since men are 'qawwamun' over
	   women in matters where God gave _some_ of the men more
	   than _some_ of the women, _and_ in what the men spend of
	   their money, then clearly _men as a class_ are not
	   'qawwamun' over women 'as a class.'

	   The conditions of being 'qawwamun' over as specified in
	   the passage are two: (1) that the man be someone whom God
	   gave more in the matter at hand than the woman, and (2)
	   that he be her provider.  If either condition fails, then
	   the man is not 'qawwam' over that woman.  If both obtain,
	   then all that entitles him to is caring for her and
	   providing her with moral guidance.  For, only under
	   extreme conditions (for example, insanity) does the Muslim
	   woman lose her right to self-determination, including
	   entering any kind of business contract without permission
	   from her husband.  Yet men have used this passage to
	   exercise absolute authority over women.  They also used it
	   to argue for the males's divinely ordained and inherent
	   superiority.  It is worth noting that the passage does not
	   even assert that _some_ men are inherently superior to
	   _some_ women.  It only states that in certain matters some
	   man may have more than some women.

	   For example, in making a business decision, a wife may
	   find that her knowledge of the market place is inferior to
	   that of many others (she has not been sufficiently
	   involved).  If her husband has superior knowledge to hers
	   (in this area), then (and only then) can he be 'qawwam'
	   over her in _this_ matter, i.e. guiding her and protecting
	   her interests with full knowledge that the final decision
	   is hers alone.  (Note that according to this
	   interpretation no one has the right to counsel a
	   self-supporting woman.) Since Islam ... enjoins Muslims to
	   consult each other in making decisions, this resolution
	   falls totally within the spirit of Islam.

	   I shall now show that (ii), the traditional
	   interpretation, is inconsistent with other Islamic
	   teachings.  Elsewhere in the Qur'an we have the following
	   passage:

	      'The believers, men and women, are "awliya," one of
	       another.'

	   "Awliya" means 'protectors', 'in charge', 'guides.'	It is
	   quite similar to 'qawwamun.'  How could women be "Awliya"
	   of men if men are superior to women in both physical and
	   intellectual strength?  How could women be in charge of
	   men who have absolute authority over their lives?  The
	   last passage clearly places male and female on equal
	   footing.  The traditional interpretation raises the man
	   above the woman.

	   I close this part of the discussion with two quotes and a
	   comment.  The first quote is the Prophet's:

	      'All people are equal, as equal as the teeth of a comb.
	      There is no claim of merit of an Arab over a non-Arab, or
	      of a white over a black person _or of male over a female_.
	       Only God fearing people merit a preference with God'
	      [emphasis added] (Abdul-Rauuf, 1977; p.21)

<END OF EXCERPT>

	   I deleted the second quote and the comment since they
	   don't pertain to this article.

	   Behnam Sadeghi.

			       --APPENDIX--

<BEGINNING OF APPENDIX>

 This appendix contains all the verses containing occurrences of
 any conjugation of the verb fadhdhala (in the active form). After
 a phonetic transliteration of each verse comes Yusuf Ali's
 translation of the verse.

			     FADHDHALA

4:32,

wa la tatamannaw ma fadhdhala-llaho bi hi ba'dhakum ala ba'dhin
And don't covet what God FADHDHALA more on some than others

li-r Rijali nasibun mimma-ktasabu wa li-n nisaa-i nasibun mimma-ktasabna
To men is alloted  what they earn and to women is alloted what they earn

Wa-s'alu-llaha	min fadhlihi	  inna-llaha kana bi kulli shay'in alimaa
And ask God of His bounty/gifts.  Indeed God is fully aware of all things.

    And in no wise covet
    Those things in which God
    Hath bestowed His gifts
    More freely on some of you
    Than others: to men
    Is alloted what they earn,
    And to women what they earn:
    But ask god of His bounty.
    For God hath full knowledge
    Of all things.

4:95, 4:95,

... fadhdhala-llaho mujahidina fi sabili-llah  bi amwalihim wa anfusihim
 God FADHDHALA those who strive in God's path with their possessions and lives

alal qaa'idina darajatan
an advantage over those who sit [and do nothing]

...wa	fadhdhala-llaho mujahidina alal qaa'idina ajran 'azimaa.
And  God FADHDHALA  strivers/fighters over those who sit a great reward.

    God hath granted
    A grade higher to those
    Who strive and fight
    With their goods and persons
    Than to those those who sit (at home).
    [Unto all (in Faith)
    Hath God promissed good]
    But those who strive and fight
    Hath He distinguished
    Above those who sit (at home)
    By a special reward

16:71

wallaho  fadhdhala ba'dhakum	ala   ba'dhin fir-rizqi...
And God  FADHDHALA some of you	over  some    in  providing/means...

   God has bestowed His gifts
   Of sustenance more freely on some
   Of you than others...

			   FADHDHALTUKUM

2:47,

Ya bani     isra'ila-zkuru   ne'mati-llati  an'amtu    alaykum...
O childern of Isarel recall  the favor/gift I bestowed on you

wa   anni fadhdhaltukum   alal 'alamain
and  I	  FADHDHALTUKUM   over	[everyone in] universe

   O Children of Israel!  Call to mind
   The (special) favour which I bestowed
   Upon you, and that I preferred you
   To all others (for My Message)

2:122,

[Exact repetition of verse 47]

			    FADHDHALKUM

7:14,

qaala	  aqayra llahi	    abghikum	   ilaha    wa
He said:  Other than God  should I seek    a deity  and

howa fadhdhalkum  alal	  'alamin
He   FADHDHALKUM  over	  [every one in] Universe

   He [Moses] said: "Shall I seek for you
   A god other than the (true)
   God, when it is God
   Who hath endowed you
   With gifts above the nations?

			     FADHDHALNA

2:253

Tilka-rrosulu	fadhdhalna ba'dhahum	  ala	ba'dhin
Those apostles	FADHDHALNA some of them   over	others

min humman kallama-llahu wa   rafa'a ba'dhahum	   darajatin  wa
among them God spoke to  and  rose   some of them  degrees   and

aatayna 'isa-bni maryama-l bayyinaati	wa  ayyadnaahu
we gave Jesus son of Mary  explanations and strengthened him

bi   roohil qudsi...
with the Holy Spirit

    Those apostles
    We endowed with gifts,
    Some above others:
    To one of them God spoke;
    Others He raised
    To degrees (of honour);
    To Jesus the son of Mary
    We gave Clear (Signs),
    And strengthened him
    With the holy spirit.

6:86

wa  isma'ila wal yasa'a wa yunusa wa  lutan wa	 kullan
And Islmail  and Elisha and Jonas and Lot   and  all

fadhdhalna alal 'alamin
FADHDHALNA over [all in] the world

    And Isma'il and Elisha.
    And Jonas, and Lot:
    And to all We gave
    Favour above the nations

17:20-21,

Kullan	numiddu   ha'olaa'i wa ha'olaa'i  min 'ataa'i  rabbika
(To) all we give, these and these,	  out of your lord's gifts

wa    ma kana  'ataa'u rabbika	 mahzur   *  Unzur kayfa fadhdhalna
and   Are not  your Lord's gifts withheld.*  See   how	 FADHDHALNA

ba'dhihum    ala  ba'dhi wa lal-'akhiratu  akbaru   daraajatin
some of them over others and for hereafter greatest degrees

    Of the bounties of thy Lord
    We bestown freely on all--
    These as well as those:
    The bounties of thy Lord
    Are not closed (to anyone)

    See how We have bestowed
    More on some than on others;    [Note by Yusuf Ali: Nor should man suppose
    But verily the Hereafter	     that all gifts are of equal value. The
    Is more in rank and gradation    spiritual ones rank far higher in dignity
    And more in Excellence	     and real worth than the transitory ones...]

17:55,

...wa laqad fadhdhalna ba'dhin Nabiyyina ala ba'dhin wa 'atayna dawooda Zabura
And indeed  FADHDHALNA some    prophet over some and gave to Dawood zabur

    ...We
    Did bestow on some Prophets
    More (and other) gifts
    Than others: and We gave
    To David (the gift
    Of) the Psalms.

			    FADHDHALANA  [fadhdhala us]

27:15,

Wa laqad  aataynaa dawooda wa solaymana 'ilman	  wa   qaalaa
And indeed we gave Dawood and Solayman	knowledge and  they (two) said:

alhamdu lillah illazi fadhdhalna ala  kathirin mmin ibadihil mo'minin
Praise	for God who   FADHDHALNA over many     of his believing slaves

    We gave (in the past)
    Knowledge to David and Solomon:
    And they both said:
    "Praise be to God, Who
    Has favoured us above many
    Of His servants who believe!"

			   FADHDHALNAHUM   [fadhdhala them]

17:70,

wa  laqad    karramna bani aadama     wa hamalnahum	   fil barri wal bahri
and indeed we honored Adam's children and transported them in land and sea

wa razaqnahum	 min attayyibati wa  fadhdhalnahum ala kathirin mimman
and we gave them of  pure things and FADHDHALNAHUM on  many   of those

khalaqna    tafdhilaa
we created  favors

    We have honoured the sons
    Of Adam; provided them
    With transport on land and sea;
    Given them for sustenance things
    Good and pure; and conferred
    On them special favours,
    Above a great part
    Of Our Creation.

45:16,

wa laqad aatayna bani 'israil alkitaba wal hukma wan nubuwwata
and indeed we gave children of Israel the book and 'hukm' and prophethood

wa razaqnahum mmin at-tayyibati wa  fadhdhalnahum alal 'alamin
and gave them of   pure  things and FADHDHALNAHUM over	[all in] the world

    We did aforetime
    Grant to the Children
    Of Israel the Book,
    The Power of Command,
    And Prophethood; We gave
    Them, for sustenance, things
    Good and pure; ane We
    Favoured them above the nations.

<END OF APPENDIX>

	   End of Part One.

hanan@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (03/01/90)

In Article 176 of soc.religion.islam:
>No body really can claim the opposit, after all men and women are physically
>and biologically different.  From physical point of view, it is quit obvious
>that men are superior to women.  From intelligent point we cannot really
>know that since we live in societies where male are dominant even in the west.
>From physcological view, we know that men and women concentrate on different
>part of the brain, make them better in some fields and worst in other fields.

Yes, men and women are physically and biologically different.  But how is
it obvious that men are superior to women in the physical sense? Scientific
studies indicate that although men are perhaps stronger that women, men and
women have similar physical endurance and some studies seem to indicate
that a women's physical endurance is greater.

>For instance, this fact make men better in areas involving Mathmatics, and
>women are emotionally stronger than men (that generally speaking and there
>are always exception.  This kind of exceptions exist for every vers of the
>Quran and usually explained in the Sunna or other Islamic litterature). This
>is my opinion and Allah know best.

I have to respond to this.  As a woman in computer science, I found the
above statement almost funny.
You are trying to use the Quran as justification
for your opinion that women are inferior to men.  Now men do better in math
tests.  But this has nothing to do with intelligence.  It seems that most
societies teach that men are supposed to be better at math.  Women are told
that math is "not for them".  Women who overcome these sterotypes do just
as well in math as men.

As for the rest of this article, others have done a good job in showing
that the Quran does not support the "women are inferior" hypothesis.

                    Hanan Lutfiyya

merigh@bailey.cpac.washington.edu (Merigh Mohamed) (05/31/90)

Somebody told me that a good article on women has been posted to this
newsgroup, but I cannot find it.  Could anybody repost it or email it to
me.  Thanks.

I have two questions:

1-  Why does a woman count as only half a witness (i.e 2 women = men)?
2-  Does anybody have an explanation for "Lan youfliha kaoumoun ouallaou
    amrahoum imraa"?

Thanks.
Mohamed

lakhani@zebra.ecn.purdue.edu (Salim Lakhani) (06/02/90)

In article <8515@accuvax.nwu.edu> merigh@bailey.cpac.washington.edu (Merigh Mohamed) writes:

>2-  Does anybody have an explanation for "Lan youfliha kaoumoun ouallaou
>    amrahoum imraa"?
>
>Thanks.
>Mohamed

Can some one provide a translation of this ?

Thanks

--
Electrical Engineering Box 295, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907