[soc.religion.islam] Posting of Islamic quotes on soc.rights.human

kriz%skat.usc.edu@usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (06/29/90)

I would like to inform the readership of this group, of a posting
that I made on soc.rights.human recently.  I would appreciate it
if some of you could follow-up on it ... as I am not a Moslem.

For backround, I initiated these types of postings a few months
back after being disgusted with the "of course ... religion is
backward or even evil" sentiment of many on the group.

At that point, I posted a series of excerpts from my religious
tradition (Christian) ... and asked that instead of calling
Christians 'stupid' ... to simply ask them to be better Christians.

Anyway... this has been an attempt to do the same in the case
of Islam.

I'm sure that some of you may take the note as paternalistic ...
but please understand that it was done sincerely.  It is difficult
for me to imagine that Islam is simply 'Death to America' ...

Anyway ... this is just so you know ...

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu

(original posting on SRH follows) ..........

Article: 3264 of soc.rights.human
From: kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz)
Newsgroups: soc.rights.human
Subject: Some sayings of Mohammed and quotes form the Quran

Consistant with my conviction that it is better to ask a 'xxxx'
to be a better 'xxxx' rather than insulting his/her beliefs ...
I came across a panthlet on some of the sayings of Mohammed and
quotes from the Quran at an exposition here sponsored by the
Saudi Government.

Particularly, for those who do letter-write to Islamic countries,
I think something like this should be most helpful.

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu

>From the hadith (Sayings of Mohammed):
-------------------------------------

'God has no mercy on one who has no mercy for others.'

'None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he
 wishes from himself.'

'He who eats his fill while his neighbor goes without food is not
 a believer.'

'Powerful is not he who knocks the other down, indeed powerful is he
 who controls himself in a fit of anger.'

The Prophet was asked: 'Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness
toward animals?' He said, 'There is reward for kindness to every
living thing.'

The Prophet said: 'Charity is a necessity for every Muslim.' He was
asked: 'What if a person has nothing?'	The Prophet replied: 'He should
work with his own hands for his benefit and then give something out of
such earnings in charity.'  The Companions asked: 'What if he is not
able to work?' The Prophet said: 'He should help the poor and needy
persons.'  The Companions further asked 'What if he cannot do even
that?'	The Prophet said 'He should urge others to do good.'  The
Companions said 'What if he lack that also?' The Prophet said 'He
should check himself from doning evil.	That is also charity.'

>From the Quran:
--------------

'Most surely man is in loss, except those who believe and do good,
 enjoin on each other truth, and enjoin on each other patience'
 [Quran 103:2-3]

'Oh mankind! We created you from a single soul, male and female, and
 made you into nations and tribes, so that you many come to know one
 another.  Truly, the most honored of you in God's sight is the
 greatest of you in piety.  God is All-knowing, All-aware.'
 [Quran 49:13]

And Specifically concerning Jihad:
---------------------------------

'If they seek peace, then seek you peace.  And trust in God for He is
 the One that heareth and knoweth all things' [Quran 8:61]

beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) (07/02/90)

Dennis,

Islam is the religion of mankind. I thank you for your even-handedness.

Abu Syed Marwan                 :                                         :
beekun@unssun.nevada.edu        :                 /  |           ""   |   :
Islamic Anti-defamation Bureau  :               /    |           |  | |   :
Nevada, 89507           :  (*   :  _  /   *                               :