[soc.religion.islam] Removal of Qadiani books from libraries

lgsax%cdp.uucp@oxy.edu (06/29/90)

I want to urge people *not* to try to have Qadiani texts removed.  In the
first place, I believe it is wrong to try to take something out of the
public library because you believe it to be heretical.	In the second
place, I think they would have small chance of success, and the attempt
would hurt the image of Islam in American eyes much more than any
heretical text could. Putting alternative texts in the library is very
good idea (libraries could definitely use a better selection of books
about Islam), but removing books isn't.

Lynn Gazis-Sax

beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) (07/02/90)

In article <13780@wpi.wpi.edu> lgsax%cdp.uucp@oxy.edu writes:

>I want to urge people *not* to try to have Qadiani texts removed.  In the
>first place, I believe it is wrong to try to take something out of the
>public library because you believe it to be heretical. In the second
>place, I think they would have small chance of success, and the attempt
>would hurt the image of Islam in American eyes much more than any
>heretical text could. Putting alternative texts in the library is very
>good idea (libraries could definitely use a better selection of books
>about Islam), but removing books isn't.

I think that the best advice with regard to this topic came from Sr. Carol
Turner. Whether the we try to have these books removed or we add to the
collection of Muslim books already in the libraries, the goal is still the
same: to prevent Islam as it truly is and as practising Muslims view it.

>Lynn Gazis-Sax

Abu Syed Marwan 		:					  :
beekun@unssun.nevada.edu	:		  /  |		 ""   |   :
Islamic Anti-defamation Bureau	:		/    |		 |  | |   :
P.O. Box 9818		........:	       |     |	    __|  |  | |   :
Reno			:	:      |___|___|     |	   <__|__|__| |   :
Nevada, 89507		:  (*	:  _  /   *				  :
			:.......:.........................................:

sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (07/13/90)

In article <13809@wpi.wpi.edu> uunet!unrvax!unssun.nevada.edu!beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) writes:

>I think that the best advice with regard to this topic came from Sr. Carol
>Turner. Whether the we try to have these books removed or we add to the
>collection of Muslim books already in the libraries, the goal is still the
>same: to prevent Islam as it truly is and as practising Muslims view it.
	  ^^^^^^^

Does that make sense??	Why will you like to prevent Islam as it truly is??
Won't that make a lot of Muslims angry??

Sanjiv

Sanjiv K. Bhatia				Department of Computer Science
sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu				Ferguson Hall 115
voice: (402)-472-3485				University of Nebraska - Lincoln
fax  : (402)-472-7767				Lincoln, NE 68588-0115