[soc.religion.islam] Muslim/Christian

shari@wpi.wpi.edu (Shari Deiana VanderSpek) (08/22/90)

>I think that it was Elijah Muhammad (from America) who said that he was both
>a Christian and a Muslim.  Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I am wrong,
>is it possible to be Chrsitian and Muslim at the same time?

someone had posted a reply to this, and my mailer deleted it.  could you
repost it?  thanks!

brianc@daedalus.ucsf.EDU (Brian Colfer) (08/23/90)

In article <14584@wpi.wpi.edu> you write:
>>I think that it was Elijah Muhammad (from America) who said that he was both
>>a Christian and a Muslim.  Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I am wrong,
>>is it possible to be Chrsitian and Muslim at the same time?
>

>someone had posted a reply to this, and my mailer deleted it.  could you
>repost it?  thanks!

Sammy Davis Jr. once said that he was both a Jew and a Christian.  In
explaining this remark he pointed out that he felt part of both cultures.

This is probably what Elijah meant ... that he lives in both cultural worlds.

I don't think he meant it theologically.
--
Brian  Colfer          | UC San Francisco        |------------------------|
                       | Dept. of Lab. Medicine  | System Administrator,  |

beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) (08/27/90)

In article <14595@wpi.wpi.edu> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:

>I don't think one can be both. At least a Muslim cannot be a Christian
>because the essential thing of Christianity is that Christ is not a profet,
>but God Himself. Accepting this, and forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ
> is the only way for salvation in the Christian viewpoint.

>From a Muslim's perspective, the true message of Jesus (Peace be upon him)
is similar to the Qur'an in that both sets of revelations came from one
same source: God. According to our Qur'an, Jesus (PBUH) is not the son of
God or God Himself. God is Unique, Omnipotent and Ubiquitous. God does not
need a Son to save mankind because each individual bears responsibility for
his/her own sins. Both Adam and Eve ate of the fruit, both sinned and both
were forgiven. Thus there is no need for a savior. Jesus is not God because
God does not despair as Jesus allegedly did when he was on the  cross. Nor
does God die/become resurrected. God is eternal. [If you wish, I can
cite relevant verses from the Qur'an to clarify what we, Muslims,  believe.]
Muslims believe that the true Christians knew the truth about Jesus, and
held the same beliefs as Muslims now do with respect to this prophet and his
mission. Therefore, in a sense, a true Christian (one who believed in the
revelations put forth by Jesus [PBUH] ) is a Muslim and vice-versa.

>(I think a Christian could not be a Muslim in the Muslim point of view as well,
>because as a Christian we say that Gods Word is eternal and will never change,
>therefore it is impossible that after Christ someone else could have been
>sent by God who carries a message that is different from what Jesus taught.)

Since there is no original text of the Bible available, and since the Bible
(as we know it today) was not compiled until the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D.,
and since Paul (who was Saul) never even knew Jesus during Jesus's (PBUH) stay
on earth, it is hard to argue that the Bible is God's Word, and therefore
incorruptible.

The Qur'an is different. People memorized and wrote down the quranic
revelations  as they were revealed. The complete version of the Quran was
compiled soon after the Prophet's (PBUH) death. There is only one version
of the Qur'an, and it had not changed for 1400 years. Can you make
the same assetion with respect to the Bible? In fact, the GOOD NEWS bible
recently changed the words of the bible into "modern terminology", and
removed "sexist" and "anti-semitic" references. Is this version of
the bible the correct one or is the King James version the correct one?

The true Bible (which you do not have) does not contradict the Quran.

>Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl

Abu Syed Marwan

:... We decreed for the children of   :                                    :
:Israel that whosoever kills a human  :                                    :
:being for other than manslaughter or :                 / |        ""    | :
:corruption in the earth, it shall be :               /   |         |  | | :
:as though he had killed all mankind, :              |    |    __|  |  | | :
:and whoso saves the life of one, it  :      ____|___|    |   <__|__|__| | :
:shall be as though he had saved the  :     |  *                           :
:life of all mankind. (Qur'an 5: 32)  :  _ /                               :
:.....................................:....................................:

rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) (08/30/90)

> >>Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I am wrong,
> >>is it possible to be Chrsitian and Muslim at the same time?

After thinking about it for 30 seconds or so, I'd imagine that
Islam might qualify for the Christian heresy of Arianism.

A basic tenet of the Arian position is that Jesus was a created
being. If Islam regards Jesus as a great prophet and simply a man
then they qualify on that point.  However, most Arians (such as
modern day Jehovah's Witnesses) believe Jesus was the highest
created being which Islam probably doesn't subscribe to.

So maybe on an Arian scale of 1 to 10, Islam would be a 1 ??

BB

goer@midway.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (08/30/90)

[Moderator's note:  this article is approved because a portion of
it is directly relevant to Islam.  All replies must remain relevant
to Islam to be approved. -Behnam]

In article R. I. Beekun writes:

>Since there is no original text of the Bible available, and since the Bible
>(as we know it today) was not compiled until the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D.,
>and since Paul (who was Saul) never even knew Jesus during Jesus's (PBUH) stay
>on earth, it is hard to argue that the Bible is God's Word, and therefore
>incorruptible.

I hate to see this sort of thing in an *Islamic* newsgroup, and I hate even
more to respond.  But it is important that Muslims understand what it is that
Christians believe before they attempt to criticize or refute them.

First of all, in the modern Protestant tradition there is much controversy
about what "God's Word" is.  Most now feel that the notion of verbal inspira-
tion is primitive, and that in all ages God has accommodated his Truth to
the languages and ideas of the peoples to whom he revealed himself.  Differ-
ences in textual and canonical traditions are nothing more than varied under-
standings and receptions of God.  Most modern Protestants do not understand
the need for verbal inspiration that many religious traditions display.

Catholics traditionally have valued the authority of the Church more than
the authority of written revelation.  The written revelation is indeed im-
portant, but the Church and its traditions are the filter through which
written revelation is viewed.  One of the great points of controversy be-
tween Catholics and Protestants in the 1500 and 1600s was over the text
of the Bible.  Catholics, like Muslims, pointed out that the original text
was unrecoverable.  This served as a basis for arguing that scripture could
not, of itself, be the final spiritual authority.  Catholics, traditionally,
have no problem with the idea of an uncertain biblical text.

The only Christians who traditionally believe in the importance of perfect
preservation of the text of the Bible are very conservative Protestants.

My point is that, when a Muslim criticizes a Christian for having a
Bible whose text is uncertain, most Christians will either look puzzled,
or else will place the Muslims with fundamentalist Christians, as a
group of hopelessly primitive ideologues.

I say this not to anger any Muslims.  It is important to know how you
are perceived by the people you criticize.  It is also important, when
engaging in polemics, to know what it is your opponents actually be-
lieve.  The bottom line is that many Christians simply don't understand
the theological necessity of a perfectly preserved text.  This belief must
be justified before going on to criticize Christians for their ephemeral
sacred text.

>The Qur'an is different. People memorized and wrote down the quranic
>revelations  as they were revealed. The complete version of the Quran was
>compiled soon after the Prophet's (PBUH) death. There is only one version
>of the Qur'an, and it had not changed for 1400 years. Can you make
>the same assetion with respect to the Bible? In fact, the GOOD NEWS bible
>recently changed the words of the bible into "modern terminology", and
>removed "sexist" and "anti-semitic" references. Is this version of
>the bible the correct one or is the King James version the correct one?

This also indicates a misunderstanding, and needs to be corrected.  In
many Christian camps, revelation is seen as a progressive thing.  God is
infinite, and no human language or set of cultural concepts can fully
grasp his essence.  The idea of the Good News Bible is to accommodate
an older revelation to a new language and culture.  To many Christians,
the very act of reading an old text, written in an old language, com-
posed in a different cultural environment involves such interpretations.

Again, I say this not to criticize Muslims, but merely to try to inform
Muslims about how Christians view revelation.  Some Christians would
agree that the Good News Bible goes too far.  Many like it a lot.  Some
might argue that it doesn't go far enough.  The point is, though, that
few question the right of this or that group to try to put an ancient
revelation into languages and cultural terms more appropriate for the
modern world.

I might also add that many Christians believe that the notion of a per-
fectly memorized Quran a myth.  No one's memory is perfect, so they
would say, and the assertion that the Quranic revelations were memorized
and written down, and then preserved perfectly, is an impossibility.
They psychological need to believe in such a fantasy, so they would say,
is again the apparent Muslim need to think that God can somehow communi-
cate with human beings directly, in a non time-bound fashion.  This is
an idea most Christian groups would *not* accept.  They only ones who
still think this way are the fundamentalists.  Muslims who argue along
these lines are therefore, inevitably, lumped together with the Bakers,
and the Bible-pounding creationists who are in such dreadful disrepute
among the majority of educated Christians.

I would recomment that, in polemics such as the one I am responding to,
Muslims concentrate on justifying why they believe what they do, and
not on knocking over supposed Christian beliefs.  More often than not,
I find that arguments against this or that belief misrepresent Chris-
tians, and that they therefore cannot draw any support.  Concentrate,
instead, on why Muslims believe in an infallible revelation.  Justify
the notion that human memory and penmanship could have accomplished
this feat.  Concentrate also on why Christians err in thinking that
a verbally inspired and perfectly preserved revelation is NOT neceses-
sary.

There is nothing wrong with debating great topics like the nature of
God, the nature of revelation, and the validity of various religious
traditions.  What I am trying to caution agains here is that Muslims -
one of the world's great religions - not make themselves appear like
Bible-pounding fundamentalist Christians.  It may seem like folly and
insanity to identify the two, but this is exactly what many Muslims
lead Christians to do by their style of argumentation.

-Richard

abaza@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug30.012534.972@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> rjb@akgua.att.com (Robert J Brown) writes:
> [...]
If you follow the true revelation of Jesus(PBUH). Then you have to follow
the message of Muhammad(PBUH). If you follow the message of Muhammad (PBUH)
then you should know that the new rules override the old ones. I wish
you - the same as I wish to myslef- God's enlightment.

>So maybe on an Arian scale of 1 to 10, Islam would be a 1 ??
>
>BB

Muslims will not be happy to qualify for anything by your measure.

aabiyaba@athena.mit.edu (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.021227.2345@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> approved by
bes@tybalt.caltech.edu, goer@midway.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz)
reminds newsgroup debaters that they should have a better grasp of their
opponents perceptions.  He goes on to sketch the Christian/western
(excuse the ambiguity) view of some Muslim arguments.  I will attempt to
clarify the Muslim position on some points that he brought up:

Revelation:
o	I are Muslims because I believe in the Unicity of God and in the
	Prophethood of Muhammed [pbuh].
o	The primary credential of this unlettered prophet is the
	eloquent Quran the words of which I am convinced were "revealed"
	as God saw fit.
o	To be sure, the Quran is only part of God's revelation through
	history.  But whereas God may inspire otherwise (this is the reason
	the Sunnah [topic of another discussion] of the Prophet is considered
	another primary source of Islam) the Quran is a clear record in its
	own right.

Preservation of the Revelation:
o	The verses of the Quran were revealed at particular times and places
	for which they had particular bearing.  But as the Quran itself
	states, some verses are clear and others more "esoteric";
	furthermore, in addition to the apparent meaning of the words there
	are other meanings; only God knows all the meanings.
o	Far be it for us to change the words of the Quran - the words and the
	history of their revelation are clear signs that are accessible,
	perhaps not fully immediately comprehensible, to all.
o	Muslims in different times have interpreted the verses in order to
	apply it to their particular situations; but their understanding is
	just that - their understanding.  We will not treat it as a definitive
	treatment of religion but only use it as an aid in our individual
	attempts to follow the signposts of God.
o	It is unthinkable for us to uproot and repaint the signpost that is
	the Quran.
o	And just to be sure, there are thousands of Muslims who have put
	the entire Quran, with its intonations/inflecions/deflecions, to heart.
	Indeed the Quranic recitation contests that are held in modern times
	are an extension of this tradition which has its roots in the days
	of the revelation and in the society in which memory was highly prized.

Translation:
o	Unlike your representation of the Christian view of "new" Bibles,
	translations of the Quran are distinct from the Quran itself.
	The Quran is preserved intact.  History is less well preserved.
	Anyone and everyone is welcome to try to understand it and apply it.

Fundamentalism:
o	In the strictest sense of the word, every observant muslim is a
	"fundamental"ist becasuse it is the fundamentals which define a
	system - and the primary fundamental of Islam is the event of the
	Quran.
o	I hope you see the difference between a "bible thumping Christian
	fundamentalism" and the islamic fundamentalism of pop-culture.
o	The internal and external conflicts involving muslims cannot be
	forced to fit the mold of christian religious history just as, as
	you have stated, debaters ought to know what they are talking about.

Internal Muslim Dialogue:
o	This topic deserves more justice than can be done here; suffice it
	to say that my attempt at a linguistically correct definition of the
	participants in this dialogue would include words such as "literalist"
	"extreme literalist", "traditionalist", "Islamic modernist",
	"modernist", "reinterpretationist", "traditional reinterpretationist",
	"scholasticist" and "mysticist".
	[Inexhaustive non-exclusive list].

While I empathize with your frustration at some bizarre "muslim" arguments,
if you still equate these essentials of Islam (revelation, preservation of
revelation) with the mythology of "primitive ideologues", so be it.

>From my (imperfect) memory:
	"And when it is said to them believe as the people believe
	 they say: Should we believe as the fools believe?
	 It is they who are the fools but know not."
					-Very early part of Sura Baqara.
	"when he(they?) is(are?) shown Our signs
	 he(they?) say(says?): the legends of primitive folk."
					-Early part of a Sura in the
					 the last thirtieth of the Quran

Ahmed Biyabani
aabiyaba@athena.mit.edu

PS: 	This was written in haste; sorry about the "references".

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (08/31/90)

abaza@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:

>If you follow the true revelation of Jesus(PBUH). Then you have to follow
>the message of Muhammad(PBUH). If you follow the message of Muhammad (PBUH)
>then you should know that the new rules override the old ones. I wish
>you - the same as I wish to myslef- God's enlightment.

This remains a strange line of reasoning to me, to which I never heard
a reasonable answer. Gods Word is eternal, God is eternal, how
can He change His own word?

If the old rules are overrided, sometimes this could happen when rules
applied to specific circumstances, but generally this would mean that
the old rules were wrong and not the truth.
I don't think that is possible.
--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug31.114718.10269@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:
>abaza@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>

>>If you follow the true revelation of Jesus(PBUH). Then you have to follow
>>the message of Muhammad(PBUH). If you follow the message of Muhammad (PBUH)
>>then you should know that the new rules override the old ones. I wish
>>you - the same as I wish to myslef- God's enlightment.
>>>

>This remains a strange line of reasoning to me, to which I never heard
>a reasonable answer. Gods Word is eternal, God is eternal, how
>can He change His own word?
>--
>Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl

According to Islam, all genuine revelations come from One and The Same
Source, namely ALLAH. Allah does not change His own word. Rather, people
do, and because of this fact, Allah continued to send messenger after
messenger. In a sense, the new (undistorted) message replaces the
old (distorted) message. However, if you were able to compare the new
(undistorted) message with the old (undistorted) message, you would
notice that they are the same and represent the truth.

With the Qur'an, Allah Promised to be the Guardian of His
Own Word to the Day of Judgement, and up to this date, not a single iota
has been added to or removed from the Qur'an. The Qur'an therefore
supercedes all previous messages since these are all to some degree
distorted.

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (09/04/90)

abaza@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
#If you follow the true revelation of Jesus(PBUH). Then you have to follow
#the message of Muhammad(PBUH). If you follow the message of Muhammad (PBUH)
#then you should know that the new rules override the old ones. I wish
#you - the same as I wish to myslef- God's enlightment.

In article <1990Aug31.114718.10269@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:
>This remains a strange line of reasoning to me, to which I never heard
>a reasonable answer. Gods Word is eternal, God is eternal, how
>can He change His own word?

>If the old rules are overrided, sometimes this could happen when rules
>applied to specific circumstances, but generally this would mean that
>the old rules were wrong and not the truth.
>I don't think that is possible.

Such is not necessarily the case.  You are making a false assumption - that
the rules that are being applied are being applied to a static thing.
This does not necessarily hold, as such as scenario does not acknowledge
the evolving nature of mankind and human communities at all.  Old rules
might no longer be applicable as time goes on, whereas new rules come into
effect.

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (09/04/90)

In article <11488@accuvax.nwu.edu> aabiyaba@athena.mit.edu writes:
>o	I hope you see the difference between a "bible thumping Christian
>	fundamentalism" and the islamic fundamentalism of pop-culture.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean --- would you please elaborate
for us?  Comparing and contrasting the two would be interesting.
--
Dave Bakken                     Internet: bakken@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Comp. Sci.; U.of Ariz. UUCP:     uunet!arizona!bakken

gt5599d@prism.gatech.edu (gt5599d TOLBERT,JASON ALAN) (09/04/90)

I think one person once told me that the only thing you had to declare in order
to become Muslim was 1) There is but one God whose proper name is Allah
and 2) Mohammet is his prophet.
If this is true, isn't it possible that you could believe in the Christian
faith and still sincerely declare the 2 statements above?

Jason
--
TOLBERT,JASON ALAN
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt5599d