[soc.religion.islam] The Holy Quran on computer

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (09/21/90)

here's an excerpt from an advertisement in the Winter 1987 issue of "Minaret":

  QURANBASE

  The QURANBASE program is a database containing the entire Quranic
  text-- Yusuf Ali's Translation.  The database includes a series of
  data query commands for quickly searching through the text.  The
  student of the Quran can quickly find a particular chapter or a
  group of verses by entering a simple command.  The QURANBASE program
  locates verses by subject and by keyword as well.  All text is
  displayed in a window and may be independently viewed.

  ASCI - U.S.A. Headquarters         ASCI - Washington
  725 Deep Valley Dr.                P.O. Box 17125
  Palos Verdes, CA 90274             Washington, D.C. 20041
  Telex: 705583 SEAM US              Telex: 705583 SEAM US

  For more information and other software programs
  Please contact Dr. Misbah Elderiny at
  THE ISLAMIC CENTER OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (213) 384-5783
  or ASCI (213) 377-0758

Behnam Sadeghi

goer@midway.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep21.131858.16824@nntp-server.caltech.edu> bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) writes:
>here's an excerpt from an advertisement in the Winter 1987 issue of "Minaret":
>
>  QURANBASE
>
>  The QURANBASE program is a database containing the entire Quranic
>  text-- Yusuf Ali's Translation....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the gentleman was
looking for a machine-readable Quran, and not a canned database (unless
that canned database includes a machine readable text; if so, surely it
cannot be copyrighted, and can therefore be send around to anyone who
wants it).

-Richard