[soc.religion.islam] The Qur'an and Apostates

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/04/90)

If one accepts the premise that Rushdie is an apostate (a believer who turned
his back on Islam) then here are some appropriate Qur'anic verses:

73:9-14

(9) The Sustainer of the east and the west [is He]: there is no deity save
Him: hence, ascribe to Him alone the power to determine thy fat, (10) and
endure with patience whatever people may say [against thee], and avoid them
with a comely avoidance.
(11) And leave Me alone [to deal] with those who give the lie to the truth -
those who enjoy the blessings of life [without any thought of God] - and bear
thou with them for a little while: (12) for, behold, heavy fetters [await
them] with Us, and a blazing fire, (13) and food that chokes, and grievous
suffering (14) on the Day when the earth and the mountains will be convulsed,
and the mountains will [crumble and] become like a sand dune on the move!

74:11-17

(11) Leave Me alone [to deal] with him whom I alone have created, (12) and to
whom I have granted resources vast, (13) and children as witnesses, (14) and
to whose life I gave so wide a scope: (15) and yet, he greedily desired that I
give yet more!
(16) Nay, verily, it is against Our messages that he knowingly, stubbornly
sets himself - (17) and so I shall constrain him to endure a painful uphill
climb!

46:35

(35) Remain, then, [O believer,] patient in adversity, just as all of the
apostles, endowed with firmness of heart, bore themselves with patience. And
do not ask for a speedy doom of those [who still deny the truth]: on the Day
when they see [the fulfilment of] what they were promised, [it will seem to
them] as though they had dwelt [on earth] no longer than one hour of [an
earthly] day!
[This is Our] message. Will, then, any be [really] destroyed save iniquitous
folk?
-------
Repentance of Apostates (They can't repent if they're dead!)

3:86-89

(86) How would God bestow His guidance upon people who have resolved to deny
the truth after having attained to faith, and having borne witness that his
Apostle is true, and [after] all evidence of the truth has come unto them?
For, God does not guid such evildoing folk. (87) Their requital shall be
rejection by God, and by the angels, and by all [righteous] men. (88) In this
state shall they abide; [and] neither will their suffering be lightened, nor
will they be granted respite.
(89) But excepted shall be they that afterwards repent and put themselves to
rights: for, behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

5:33-34

(33) It is but jsut recompense for those who make war on God and His apostle,
and endeavor to spread corruption on earth, that they are being slain in great
numbers, or have, in result of their perverseness, their hands and feet cut
off in great numbers, or ear being [entirely] banished from [the face of] the
earth: such is their ignominy in this world. But in the life to come [yet
more] awesome suffering awaits them - (34) save for such [of them] as repent
ere you [O believers] become more powerful then they: for you must know that
God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

9:5 and 9:11 (During the campaign to Tabuk and the battle)

(5) And so, when the sacred months are over, slay those who ascribe divinity
to aught beside God wherever you may come upon them, and take them captive,
and besiege them, andlie in wait for them at every conceivable place. Yet, if
they repent, and take to prayer, and render the purifying dues, let them go
their way: for, behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace.

(11) Yet if they repent, and take to prayer, and render the purifying dues,
they become our brethren in faith: and clearly do We spell out these messages
unto people of [innate] knowledge!
--------
What should the response be to someone who writes something that is considered
insulting?

16:126

(126) Hence, if you have to respond to an attack [in argument], respond only
to the extent of the attack levelled against you; but to bear yourselves with
patience is indeed far better for [you, since God is with] those who are
patient in adversity.

41:34

(34) But [since] good and evil cannot be equal, repel thou [evil] with
something that is better - and lo! he between whom and thyself was enmity [may
then become] as though he had [always] been close [unto thee], a true friend!
---------

For those who would like further references:

Apostacy 3:72, 3:86-88, 3:90-91, 3:167, 4:137, 5:54, 9:74, 9:107, 16:106, 33:14
  - do not ask for speedy doom for apostates 46:35
    - God alone will punish them 73:11, 74:11
  - punishment in the hereafter 2:217, 9:74
  - rejection by others 3:87
  - repentence 3:89, 5:34, 9:5, 9:11
    - on Judgement Day is too late 40:85
  - under duress 16:106
Arguments/Attacks
  - respond in kind 8:58, 16:126
    - being patient is far better 16:126
  - respond with something better 41:34

Behavior
  - argue in a kindly manner with those given earlier revelation 16:125, 29:46
  - be just in your opinions 6:152
  - forgive non-believers 31:15, 45:14
  - forgive readily 42:37
  - treat non-belligerent non-believers with equity 60:8

Killing
  - don't 6:151, 17:33, 25:68
  - don't harm those offering peace 4:90
  - only during hostilities in progress 2:191, 4:89, 4:91, 5:33, 8:39, 8:57,
    9:5, 9:12
  - punishment for murder and spreading corruption on Earth 5:32

Judgement
  - be just 5:8, 5:42
    - don't let hate lead judgement astray 5:8

Mockery
  - leave company of those in the act of mocking God's law 4:140, 6:68

jnawaz@skat.usc.edu (Jemshed Nawaz) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov3.210034.11923@nntp-server.caltech.edu> paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>[deleted]

The Islamic Law justifies death penalty for apostacy. Shari'ah is derived
from the Holy Qur'an as well as the Sunnah, and you will find hadith where our
Prophet put the apostates to death. Apostacy is not merely turning non-Muslim
or saying something against Islam, but doing so in a manner which threatens
the Muslim commmunity, as in the Quranic verse:
	"A party of the People of the Book said: `Believe in the morning
	what has been revealed to those who believe, and then deny it in
	the evening that they may thus retract (from their faith)'"(3:72)
Since the discourse of which this verse is a part is addressed to the Jews,
the rabbis sent agents to publicly embrace Islam and then reject it and to
tell people that the reason they rejected Islam because they found faults
with it so to put doubts in people's minds and give Islam a bad reputation,
and thus making it difficult for Muslims to invite others to Islam.