[soc.religion.islam] Saudi women

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (12/03/90)

[This article was followupped to soc.religion.islam, I re-xposted because
I don't know if it'll show up on s.r.i.]

In article <1990Dec1.001509.11560@rice.edu> gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) writes:
>You mean, the same Saudi law that most Muslims will tell you is
>un-Islamic?  Even anti-Islamic?  What about it?  Do you have a
>point?

Hm.  "All Things Considered" had a news story claiming that it *wasn't*
against the law (just against good citizenship or somesuch) until a group of
women protested by driving around for an hour or so.  Soon after, it
was made "officially against the law" at the behest of the large
Islamic faction in Saudi Arabia.  The protesting women, most of whom
were professionals or professors were inspired by the Kuwaiti women
who drove their families out of Kuwait.

Anybody know a different version of the "truth"?

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120