[soc.religion.islam] Question regarding Pork

shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Sumon Huque) (11/23/90)

Could anyone give me a few solid convincing arguments that rationalize
our position on not eating Pork. I am often confronted on this issue, and
I have yet to come across a suitable reply.

Thanks

Sumon  I. Huque                        Computer Science & Engineering
Box 783, 3820 Locust Walk              University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6134            (215) 573-7881
Internet:    shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu , huque@next.sas.upenn.edu
Bitnet:      shuque@pennsas

SX43%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK@evans.ucar.edu (Fazal R Ellahi) (11/27/90)

As-Salaamu alaikum,

In article <1990Nov22.183944.21990@wpi.WPI.EDU>, shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
(Sumon Huque) says:

>Could anyone give me a few solid convincing arguments that rationalize
>our position on not eating Pork. I am often confronted on this issue, and
>I have yet to come across a suitable reply.

There is a simple, conclusive, and short answer to this one, which is
that as a Muslim I believe the Qur'an to be the verbatim Arabic speech
of Allah, the One Who created me and everything else in creation. In it
He has commanded me not to eat pork, among other things. Period.

Now, as to the wisdoms behind this prohibition. Well, as we
believe, Allah is absolute (mutlaq?). His commands are full of Wisdom.
We cannot limit that Wisdom by saying that, for example, such and such
is THE reason why we are forbidden to eat pork.

What we can do is to look into the matter and discover that
_this_ property of pork, or _that_ or _the_other_ are PART of the wisdom
associated with the order not to eat pork. But they can't be the sole
reason.

I will now give some comments about pigs and pork, in the light
of the above. Firstly, I think I should clarify that it is the eating of
pig flesh which is described as an abomination, and forbidden, in the
Qur'an. Pigs themselves as creations of Allah are not condemned or
regarded as evil or anything. That, however, doesn't stop a lot of
Muslims to shudder with horror at the sight of a pig ! :-)

The major point I would like to make is I think the close
similarity beween the biological make-up of pigs and ourselves. This may
be surprising to some, but   the pig is given the nickname (in
anatomical circles) of 'the horizontal man'. A visiting academic who gave
a seminar in our department a few years ago told us that after the
theoretical modelling had been done (for some process occurring in the liver
of a human being,the model was tested on the liver of a pig, because the
anatomy was so similar. I have been told that the word for Humans in the
language of cannibals is 'Long Pig', apparently because we taste the same.
(Seriously). Pigs are also naturally very intelligent.

Pigs are also the only animal which acts as the host for a certain type
of worm which then infects humans who eat the infected pig meat. I forget
the name of the parasite, but ask any butcher in the high street and
he'll probably know (I think it is the tape worm).

Apparently studies have shown that people who eat pork suffer
from certain effects; they are more prone to violence for example. In a
prison there was a test done whereby half the prisoners were fed on pork
and half not, and the effects were discerned this way. I have heard that
other effects include not being affected by the opposite sex, but have
not had any evidence shown me about this.

But the bottom line is the fact that it is forbidden to eat the
flesh of a pig in the Qur'an, except under very special circumstances
(starvation..), and that is THE reason why we don't eat pork.

                    With Peace,

                    Fazal.

zix@cs.nott.ac.uk (Zafer Iqbal) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov22.183944.21990@wpi.WPI.EDU> shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Sumon Huque) writes:

>Could anyone give me a few solid convincing arguments that rationalize
>our position on not eating Pork. I am often confronted on this issue, and
>I have yet to come across a suitable reply.
>
>Thanks

>Sumon  I. Huque                        Computer Science & Engineering
>Box 783, 3820 Locust Walk              University of Pennsylvania
>Philadelphia, PA 19104-6134            (215) 573-7881
>Internet:    shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu , huque@next.sas.upenn.edu
>Bitnet:      shuque@pennsas

It is very dangerrous to rtry to rationalize why we have
certain commands in Islam and why we have to do certain
actions which seem irrational to us.
There are many commands which have had reasons given as to
why we do them (the reasons are given in the Qur'an or Sunnah)
e.g., a reason is given for the prohibition of alcohol &c
but many commands are not explained e.g., fasting, no of prayers &c
The simple answer to your question is that we do not know why. If a reason
was givwen, the prohibition would only hold for that reason and
as soon as the reason no longer held the prohibition weould no longer hold!
E.g. if we say that we don't eat pork 'cos it is full of germs, and
if scientists were able to "clean" it in such a manner so that there were no
germs, then we should be able to eat it but obviously we still would
not be able to eat it!!!
The only aspects of Islam you need to explain using your ration, intellect &c
is that there exists a creator and that the Qur'an is from the creator and it
has not been corrupted over the ages. Once you have convinced anyone of these
facts, following Islam is rational, following the commands whether you
understand them or not!
Wasalam,
Zaf

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.152402.28445@nntp-server.caltech.edu> SX43%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK@evans.ucar.edu (Fazal R Ellahi) writes:
>As-Salaamu alaikum,
>In article <1990Nov22.183944.21990@wpi.WPI.EDU>, shuque@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
>(Sumon Huque) says:
>>Could anyone give me a few solid convincing arguments that rationalize
>>our position on not eating Pork. I am often confronted on this issue, and
>>I have yet to come across a suitable reply.

[lotsa discussion about pigs being similar to man, being intelligent,
 pork having worms, and pork maybe causing voilence]

>But the bottom line is the fact that it is forbidden to eat the
>flesh of a pig in the Qur'an, except under very special circumstances
>(starvation..), and that is THE reason why we don't eat pork.

Could a cultural reason also be that, in Arabia (and many other
places) at the time of Muhammad, pigs were disgusting, filthy animals
that ran around eating garbage and everything in sight?  I've heard
this but I can't remember where.
--
Dave Bakken, bakken@cs.arizona.edu, uunet!arizona!bakken, +1 602 621 4976
``Not every adult will feel comfortable seeking personal finance information

SX43@liverpool.ac.uk (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov29.175800.9470@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) says:
>Could a cultural reason also be that, in Arabia (and many other
>places) at the time of Muhammad, pigs were disgusting, filthy animals
>that ran around eating garbage and everything in sight?  I've heard
>this but I can't remember where.

Two points..

1) The Islamic injunctions usually go counter to the prevailing customs
in Arabia. One only has to look at the extreme persecution and
intolerance with which the first muslims were treated..

2) In the wild, pigs are supposed to be quite clean and hygienic
creatures; it's when they are put in overcrowded pens in farms where
more pigs = more profits that they become the dirty animal we see them
as.  For example, in the wild, pigs bury their excrement, far as I know,
but cannot do that in the confined space of  a farm. On farms, there is
usually so little room that the sow is perpetually stuck in one position
feeding the young.. it's a very cruel system.

Oh, and I believe that pig meat has been forbidden in previous
scripture too; Jews and Christians (early ones at least) didnt eat
pig flesh.

And I am suprised and  saddened to see so many questions appearing
in the vein of .. 'do muslims believe in the previous scriptures..'.
I knew Islam was misunderstood, but not to this extent. I hope that
this discussion group can serve a useful educational purpose.

I have also seen lots of discussion on Islam in the s.c.arabic board.
Maybe we could advertise the existence of s.r.islam (plus the fact it is
moderated..) on s.c.arabic for people to post their questions here ?

Peace,
     Fazal.

khan@remus.rutgers.edu (Farrukh Shah Khan) (12/05/90)

Here is the name of the bacteria which is found in pork and some other animals.

Bacteria: TRICHINELLA SPIRALIS.
Desease:  TRICHINOSIS.
Symptoms: Within 2-28 days vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain.
          Later muscular stiffness, fever, rashes.
Reference:"Food Service Sanitation"
	  EFNR Association
	  John Wiley and Sons.
--
					Live long and prosper.
					Farrukh Shah Khan.

"MEN MUST CHANGE BEFORE THE KINGDOMS"
                              (Jesus)

"Peace is as much an art to learn as war"
                   Sen. Matsunaga (Hawaii)