[soc.religion.islam] Is there something more to Islam than mere rules?

reddy@mips.com (T.S. Reddy) (12/05/90)

     I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with this newsgroup. I
expected to find discussions about things like the spirituality of man,
the application of Islam to life to make it better in general, answers
to the metaphysical aspects of life and the like. Instead, all I read
about are rules. Don't do this or do it only in this way. If I am to
interpret the essence of most of the articles, Islam does nothing more
than command a person to lead a constricted life much like animals
which live by instinct. Surely there is a spiritual aspect to Islam?

     Now I know there have been several schools of thought (e.g. Sufism)
in Islam that have gone beyond a rule bound interpretation of Islam to probe
the consciousness of man. I read soc.religion.eastern regularly and there
are many beautiful and thought provoking articles about the approach of
eastern religions towards spirituality. Can't we have similar discussions
here? A moderated newsgroup is, in my opinion, the best place to start
such discussions. Any takers?

--
T.S.Reddy
e-mail: reddy@mips.com

aisma@arcadien.rice.edu (Islam is a way of life) (12/09/90)

First of all, Islam is a complete and comprehensive way of life. In other words, Islam is not merely a religion in the sense that its followers must not perform certain rituals and at certain times only. In Al-Quran, Allah says(translation) : "And I do not create jins and men except to worship me". So the whole life of muslim, 24 hours a day, should an act of worship to Allah.

When a companion of the prophet(peace be upon him) asked the prophet's wife, Aisyah, "What is the characteristic of the prophet?", Aisyah replied: "The Quran".

So the Quran is the book of guidance to mankind. The more you read the Quran, the more your heart soften.

Islam has its spiritual aspect. Islam has its economical aspect. Islam has its political aspect. Islam has its social aspect. And so on.

But the first step to understand this is to read the Quran. When you read the Quran, be ready to practice it; otherwise, you won't gain nothing much.

And the message of Islam is as a blessing(rahmah) to all the universe(not only to the mankind). Even the plants, animals,etc get the blessing from Islam.

Abu Anas

zix@cs.nott.ac.uk (Zafer Iqbal) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec5.082427.2124@nntp-server.caltech.edu> reddy@mips.com (T.S. Reddy) writes:

>     I must say that I am thoroughly disappointed with this newsgroup. I
>expected to find discussions about things like the spirituality of man,
>the application of Islam to life to make it better in general, answers
>to the metaphysical aspects of life and the like. Instead, all I read
>about are rules. Don't do this or do it only in this way. If I am to
>interpret the essence of most of the articles, Islam does nothing more
>than command a person to lead a constricted life much like animals
>which live by instinct. Surely there is a spiritual aspect to Islam?

Every action a person does is a material action. E.g., praying is a series
of actions. The action only becomes spiritual (and hence gains ajar (reward))
when the person carrying out the action links the action back to Islam.
for example, praying is a material action, but becomes an act of worship when
the "prayee" prays because he is ordered to pray by Allah (swt).
Hence all actions can be spiritual if they are done according to Islam with
the correct intention - e.g. marriage, business transactions, education &c...
Could you explain by what you mean by the spiritaul aspec of Islam???

>     Now I know there have been several schools of thought (e.g. Sufism)
>in Islam that have gone beyond a rule bound interpretation of Islam to probe
>the consciousness of man. I read soc.religion.eastern regularly and there
>are many beautiful and thought provoking articles about the approach of
>eastern religions towards spirituality. Can't we have similar discussions
>here? A moderated newsgroup is, in my opinion, the best place to start
>such discussions. Any takers?
>
>--
>T.S.Reddy
>e-mail: reddy@mips.com

Zaf

jnawaz@skat.usc.edu (Jemshed Nawaz) (12/13/90)

Since some people are so interested in the spiritual aspect of Islam,
I have decided to post some parts from a chapter (the chapter itself
is pretty long) in Ahmad A. Galwash's "The Religion of Islam" Vol II.
The chapter is called (you guessed it..) "Spiritual Aspect of Islam".
The rest of the chapter may follow later on (when I'm done with the
finals). So here goes....

		THE KNOWLEDGE OF SELF
		---------------------
Nothing is nearer to man than himself, and if he knows not himself he
cannot know anything else. Knowledge of self is the key to the
knowledge of God: The Holy Prophet says: "He who knows himself well,
knows God". In the Koran we read:-
	"God will show men His signs in the world and in themselves
	that the truth may be manifest to them" (XLI:53)

	Now if one says "I know my self" meaning his outward shape,
body, face, limbs and so forth, such knowledge can never be a key to
the knowledge of God or the truth. Nor man's knowledge as to that
which is within only extends so far that when he is hungry he eats,
and when he is angry he attacks, will he progress any further in this
path, for the beasts are his partners in this capacity.
	Real self-knowledge consists in solving the following
problems:-
	What is man in himself and from whence he is come? Whither is
he going, and for what purpose has he come to tarry here a while, and
in what does his real happiness and misery consist?
	Some of man's attributes are those of animals, some of devils,
and some of angels, and he has to find out which of these attributes
are accidental and which are essential. Till he knows this, he cannot
come to real knowledge of himself.
	The occupation of animals is eating, sleeping and fighting.
Therefore, if man is an animal, let him busy himself in these things.
Devils are busy in stirring up mischief, and in guile and deceit; if
he belongs to their species let him do their work. Angels comtemplate
the beauty of God, and are entirely free fom animal qualities; if he
of angelic nature, then let him strive towards his own origin, that he
may know and contemplate God, and be delivered from the animal
thraldom of `passion' and `anger'. He should also dicover why he has
been created with these two animal instincts. Whether they should
subdue him and lead him captive or whether he should subdue them, and
in his upward progress, make of one his steed and of the other his
weapon.
	The first step of man's knowledge is to know that he is
composed of an outward shape, called the body and an inward entity
called the heart, or soul. By "heart" is not meant the piece of flesh
resting at the left of our bodies, but that which uses all other
faculties as its instruments and servants. In truth, it does not
belong to the visible world, but to the invisible, and has come into
this world as a traveller who visits a foreign country for the sake of
trade and will presently return to his native land. The knowledge of
this entity and its attributes is the keynote to the knowledge of God.
To this the Holy Koran says:-
	"We (God) have not created Jinn and Men but that serve
	Me"(LI:56)

-------------
Jemshed Nawaz

beekun@ncar.UCAR.EDU (R. I. Beekun) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.070445.19927@nntp-server.caltech.edu> jnawaz@skat.usc.edu (Jemshed Nawaz) writes:
>Since some people are so interested in the spiritual aspect of Islam,
>I have decided to post some parts from a chapter (the chapter itself
>is pretty long) in Ahmad A. Galwash's "The Religion of Islam" Vol II.
>The chapter is called (you guessed it..) "Spiritual Aspect of Islam".

>-------------
>Jemshed Nawaz

Thank you Jemshed.  Let me add a few more sources.

One of the most delightful, yet concisely written book that deals with
the spiritual dimension of Islam is Maudoodi's Towards Understanding Islam.
Though I am not an urdu-speaker, I often go back to the english translation
of that book for inspiration.

Here are some other books that deal with the spiritual and philosophical
dimensions of Islam:

1. Tawhid: Its implications for thought and life by Al-Faruqi, Ismail

2. The spirit of Islam by Asad, Mohammed

3. Islam between East and West by Izetbegovic, Alija

4. Islam, ideology and the way of life by Rahman, Afzalur

5. Social justice in Islam by Qutb, Syed

6. Humanism in Islam by Boisard, Marcel      *** highly recommended ***

7. Inner dimensions of Islamic worship by Al-Ghazali

8. The natural form of man by Bewley, Abdalhaqq

9. Self-knowledge and spiritual yearning by Hamid, A. F. *** recommended

10. In quest of knowledge by Iman Shafi'i

11. Spiritual dimension: Islamic ideas and philosophy by Zakaria, F.

12. Key to the door by Pearce, T. S.

There are many more, but these books should provide you with a start point.
They are all available from the Islamic Book Service at (317) 839-8150.

Abu Syed Marwan

:... We decreed for the children of   :                                    :
:Israel that whosoever kills a human  :                                    :
:being for other than manslaughter or :                 / |        ""    | :
:corruption in the earth, it shall be :               /   |         |  | | :
:as though he had killed all mankind, :              |    |    __|  |  | | :
:and whoso saves the life of one, it  :      ____|___|    |   <__|__|__| | :
:shall be as though he had saved the  :     |  *                           :
:life of all mankind. (Qur'an 5: 32)  :  _ /                               :