[soc.religion.islam] English translation of Islamic Arabic terms

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (12/15/90)

Bassel writes:

>	I second that suggestion. And I think that may be the moderator(s) can
>scan through each article and add(???) appropriate english translations to
>some of the transliterated Arabic words within brackets. Any suggestions??
>
>Bassel

I think that wouldn't be a good idea because sooner or later somebody will
be offended to see his or her article altered.  It would be helpful if
*each* individual put the English translation of Arabic words he or she
uses in brackets.

I also like the suggestion of periodically posting a gloassary of basic
Islamic Arabic terms.  I would be happy to post this glossary, but right
now I don't have time to compile one!  Can somebody else help?

Salam Alaikum [peace on you],
Behnam Sadeghi
bes@tybalt.caltech.edu
[one of the moderators]

phillips@bright.math.uoregon.edu (Chris Phillips) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec15.020344.10411@nntp-server.caltech.edu> you write:
>>	I second that suggestion. And I think that may be the moderator(s) can
>>scan through each article and add(???) appropriate english translations to
>>some of the transliterated Arabic words within brackets. Any suggestions??
>>
>I think that wouldn't be a good idea because sooner or later somebody will
>be offended to see his or her article altered.  It would be helpful if
>*each* individual put the English translation of Arabic words he or she
>uses in brackets.
>
>I also like the suggestion of periodically posting a gloassary of basic
>Islamic Arabic terms.  I would be happy to post this glossary, but right
>now I don't have time to compile one!  Can somebody else help?

Two comments: I think it is also an unreasonable impositiom on the time of the
moderators to expect them to search and then modify every article. Also, I
would be happy to see a glossary, but you shouldn't have to worry about making
it, for similar reasons to the above. (Sorry, but I can't volunteer; I don't
know the terms.)