[soc.religion.islam] Goats,Beards,and Action

SX43@liverpool.ac.uk (12/09/90)

Salaam all;
            I just got last month's MuslimWise.. although I should
be tucked up getting over this 'flu, I just _had_ to share this one
with you. Anyway it relieves the boredom. I would appreciate any
du'as for a swifter recovery; I should go and crawl back to bed after
posting this, gurgle, sniffle..

(BTW MuslimWise had plea for help this time round; they seem to be
having cash-flow problems unfortunately. I doubt any of us are million-
aires, though; you'll no doubt find out if they go under.)

                    With Peace, (and 'flu.. :-(  )
                    Fazal-Rehman.

      Title  :     Goats, Beards, and Action.
      Source :     MuslimWise magazine (Nov90) p11
      Topic  :     Halal Fingers has a go at the Muslim Community.
                   (Get the pun ?! :-)
      Contact:     BM MuslimWise,
                   London WC1N 3XX
                   England, UK.
      Telephone :  081-902-5968/6074 (England)
                   --------------------------------------
     "All rights are *NOT* reserved. Articles in MuslimWise *MAY* be
      reproduced without prior permission in any publication not
      published by Penguin. Being mere mortals we do get mad
      when somebody reproduces our articles and 'forgets' to
      acknowledge us. Articles on anything, so long as they have a
      name and address, are welcomed -- from Muslims and non-Muslims."

                      GOATS, BEARDS AND ACTION
                      ========================
                         (By Halal Fingers)

 It's amazing really, just how out of touch with reality our
 community is. Muslims, apparently are unable to distinguish between
 Right and Wrong any more : our priorities are so mixed up  that we go
 berserk over one man's book and the insults he heaps upon everything we
 hold sacred and yet we are in  the process of turning out potential
 Rushdies every day of the week.

 How ? Look at our behaviour. People are dying over an abandoned
 mosque in India ! If it's so important a place for the local Muslims, how
 come nobody has prayed there for the last forty years or so ? What are
 we coming to when Muslims in Bangladesh start rioting and looting
 against Hindus in 'defence' of that mosque, hundreds of miles away ?
 Enough has been written about the Gulf to give the general idea that
 Muslims are being made to look complete fools again, so I don't need to
 add to that. Talking of Mosques, the community (that's a joke) in east
 London are at it again, fighting each other over who runs east London
 Mosque. Everywhere you look, there we are, the great Muslim Ummah,
 fighting and squabbling with each other. Is it any wonder that 'young
 Muslims' are watching in confused amazement ?

 The behaviour of their elders (and supposed betters), is far from
 Islamic. So is it reasonable to expect youngsters growing up in 'Muslim'
 families to develop into sincere practising Muslims? The motto seems to
 be 'do as we say, not as we do'. Looking at the Prophet, Peace be upon
 him, and his companions, we can see that they led by example. Can we say
 that? Maybe, but what an example !

 We send our children off to the mosques to learn about prayer
 and how to read the Qur'an  but do we show them how to put the
 teachings of Allah into practise  in their lives? No way, that would be
 fundamentalist, wouldn't it ? As long as they can read the Qur'an, we're
 happy. Think about it : they might as well be learning Greek  or Chinese
 for all the effects the words of Allah have on their lifestyle.

 Look around you in the mosque at Friday prayer. Count the
 number of people without a beard. Easier still count the number with a
 beard, it won't take you as long. I'm not saying that a beard
 automatically signals a good, sincere Muslim; after all, there is a
 Danish (honest!) proverb which reads : 'If the beard were everything,
 then goats would preach'. But, the beard is the easiest of Sunnahs to
 follow. To do so, you do nothing, not a sausage, zilch. To go against his
 advice, you must make a conscious decision to shave; you are of your
 own free will, going against the Sunnah. So our youngsters don't even see
 the easiest of things being followed in their family and community. How
 then, can we expect them to follow the more complex obligatory things ?

 The beard is just one example. Many people take matters of Sunnah
 very lightly indeed, saying they aren't compulsory therefore they aren't
 important. But if we can't even get the small things right, what chance
 have we of getting the big, really earth-shattering things right ? How
 can we quote Qur'anic injunctions to people in efforts to correct their
 actions when they aren't even following the easy parts of their Faith,
 let alone the more serious issues ? Conferences, delegations and the
 like which try to seek an Islamic solution, say to the Gulf problem are
 a waste of valuable time. We're trying to talk to rulers of countries
 (whether Iraqi, Saudi or Kuwaiti or wherever); if they really cared
 about Islam, wouldn't their respective countries be ruled 100 percent
 according to the Qur'an and the Sunnah ? In fact, wouldn't their respective
 countries be just one Islamic State, not a myriad of nation-states
 competing against each other over territory and wealth ?

 Again, look at the Prophet, Peace be on him. He didn't go out
 into the streets of Makkah following the early revelations from Allah,
 calling for an Islamic revolution and the immediate implementation of
 the Shari'ah. He called people to simply believe in La ilaaha illa Allah
 for years, sowing the seeds of Faith, ready for the major injunctions
 later on.

 Despite our 'advanced' state of affairs, in terms of technology,
 scientific knowledge etc, we are getting too far away from the
 simplicity that was the Prophet's message, and the ultra effective
 methods of his call to Islam. Perhaps we are just too ignorant to think
 that such simplicity can teach us anything; that we actually know
 better.

 I think we need to look again at the little things in Islam, and
 try to put them into practice; to build our Islamic State from the
 foundations up, not from the roof down. If the goats can read this, I
 hope they understand.

           --Halal Fingers.

zvs@bby.oz.au (Zev Sero) (12/12/90)

I would like to know more about this.  Is it a requirement of Islam
that Muslims wear beards?  Or is it perhaps only required of `clergy'?
Is trimming permitted?  I ask because 99% of the pictures of Arabs and
other Muslims that I see (in papers or whatever) do not have beards.
I was not aware that Islam had an idea of beards being something
important, until I noticed that all the Iranian Ayatollahs had them.
I then thought perhaps it was only a Shi'ite practise, or perhaps it
was just an Iranian fashion.  Could somebody please tell me the story
about Islam and beards?

Thanks.  		Zev (a bearded Jew)
--
	                                Zev Sero  -  zvs@bby.oz.au
Megalomaniacs are simply people who know damn well they can run the universe

khan@romulus.RUTGERS.EDU (Farrukh Shah Khan) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.170212.372@wpi.WPI.EDU> zvs@bby.oz.au (Zev Sero) writes:

> I would like to know more about this.  Is it a requirement of Islam
> that Muslims wear beards?  Or is it perhaps only required of `clergy'?
> Is trimming permitted?  ...

Islam gives a lot of importance to cleanleness. Mohammad PBUH said
that cleanleness is half of your faith. Muslim has to be clean all the
time (and specially at prayer time). Since muslim has to say prayer 5
times a day so he/she cleans him/her self 5 times a day (at least).
Muslims should not eat pork because it is DIRTY (in what sense, that
is not important in current context). Muslim has to be circumcised
(sp?) because a lot of germs can devalop in the foreskin and specially
in the hot places where people sweat a lot.

In Islam a muslim has to clean (shave) all unwanted hair. That is
because of the same reason as circumcision (and bad smells). Same is
(almost) true for the hair on the face. But people like beards, so
Mohammad PBUH put an upper bound on the size of the beard. It should
not be more than the width of your knuckle. This so that you won't dip
it in the gravy when you are eating and is easy to clean.

So the conclusion is that it not required at all infact it is
preferable not to have one. "But they don't understand ..."

--

   ^  ~  / *
   *   '   _

"MEN MUST CHANGE BEFORE THE KINGDOMS"
                              (Jesus)

"Peace is as much an art to learn as war"
                   Sen. Matsunaga (Hawaii)

zama@midway.uchicago.edu (iftikhar uz zaman) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.154553.28131@wpi.WPI.EDU> khan@romulus.RUTGERS.EDU (Farrukh Shah Khan) writes:

>In article <1990Dec11.170212.372@wpi.WPI.EDU> zvs@bby.oz.au (Zev Sero) writes:
>
>> I would like to know more about this.  Is it a requirement of Islam
>> that Muslims wear beards?  Or is it perhaps only required of `clergy'?
>> Is trimming permitted?  ...
>
>Islam gives a lot of importance to cleanleness. Mohammad PBUH said
>that cleanleness is half of your faith. Muslim has to be clean all the
>time (and specially at prayer time).

>In Islam a muslim has to clean (shave) all unwanted hair. That is
>because of the same reason as circumcision (and bad smells). Same is
>(almost) true for the hair on the face. But people like beards, so
>Mohammad PBUH put an upper bound on the size of the beard. It should
>not be more than the width of your knuckle. This so that you won't dip
>it in the gravy when you are eating and is easy to clean.

>So the conclusion is that it not required at all infact it is
>preferable not to have one. "But they don't understand ..."

>> Thanks.  		Zev (a bearded Jew)

> ' _/    __/		   		Farrukh Shah Khan.

    EXCUSE ME!!!!????  Mr. Khan, you have *really* got this one wrong!
Do you not realize that the Prophet himself always had a beard? And
that `Umar's beard was rather large: the method he used to cut his
beard was to grab a handful and then two (maybe three?) fingers and
then cut the rest off?  "Knuckles"?  Where did you get that from?
Was the Prophet and were his Companions fond of having beard while
it is "preferable not to have one?"  Who is it here that "doesn't
understand?"

     Classical Islamic scholarship has always held that to have a
beard is sunna (i.e. practice of the Prophet which should be
followed).  There a number of sayings of the Prophet on this issue.
The most famous one (I am fairly sure it is in Abu Da'ud, Kitab
al-Adab and is probably in most of the other six books also) is about
a Persian who came to visit the Prophet and had a large moustache but
no beard.  When asked why he had "done this to his face" he said that
his "master" commanded him to do this.  The Prophet responded, in
essence, that his Master (I believe the word used is "rabb") commanded
him to cut his moustache and let his beard grow long (qass al-shawarib
and ihya al-lihya: to shorten the moustache and ALLOW the beard to
grow long).  The key word is "commanded"--from this Islamic scholars
have always argued that this is a sunna which *really should* be
followed (as opposed to sunna regarding the specific way the Prophet
dressed etc. which is commendable, but not really stressed).

     I don't have the books in front of me right now, but the range of
opinion between the four classical schools of Islamic jurisprudence is
somewhat like this: the Hanafis say that cutting one's beard until it
has reached the length of a fistful and two fingers is "haram" --
absolutely forbidden.  And while I am in the flaming mood: the classical
view has been that someone who shaves his beard is a "fajir" i.e. someone
who disobeys a major commandment of God publicly!  (OK, modern scholars
might not be so harsh: but this is how it was viewed from Abu Hanifah's
time (d. about 150 A.H.--last part of eighth century) until at least
about the nineteenth century.  The one school of law (and I can't
recall at this point which one) which allows for shaving one's beard
does so in a peculiar manner: if someone already has a beard, it is
"haram" for him to shave it.  But if someone has already started shaving
then the sin is only on the first time he does so, if he continues to
shave he is not really shaving his "beard" (he has none!) so it is OK.

     I did not want to write on this topic at all--as I was sure there
are plenty of "modernists" out there who will say it is not necessary
at all; and then there would be plenty of "traditionalists" who would
argue that it was necessary.  But to find someone who actually tries
to show that the beard is "slightly frowned upon but allowed"; this is
really too much.

     The discussion among modern Muslims swings between the two types of
attitudes depicted in the above paragraph: it is good to have a beard--
this much is agreed upon.  The question is: is it necessary or just a
"nice thing."

     Sorry to have gone on so long, but the great contrast between the
confident tone of your article and its lack of correspondence to facts
made me feel that I couldn't let this one go by...

     Iftikhar

SX43@liverpool.ac.uk (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec11.170212.372@wpi.WPI.EDU>, zvs@bby.oz.au (Zev Sero) says:

>I would like to know more about this.  Is it a requirement of Islam
>that Muslims wear beards?  Or is it perhaps only required of `clergy'?
>Thanks.                 Zev (a bearded Jew)

Wearing a beard is the example of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be on him.) and
as far as I am aware it was the practice of all the Prophets before him,
all the way back to Adam (Peace on them all).

As such it is a very strong Sunnah for Muslims to wear beards.

There is supposed to be a hadith which says that we should trim our
moustaches and let the beards grow, but I dont know its status (reliable
or not..). Personally I dont let mine grow too long as I prefer it
tidy; it helps to keep it clean too I find, when it gets longer its
more difficult. I suppose its a fault but there are much greater faults
I am invested with which would need sorting out before I worry about
whether or not I should trim my beard.

The Prophet (SAW) also said that the Beard contains the Beauty of a man.

After I decided to grow mine (about three years ago) I was relieved to
hear that people thought it suited me, so I wasnt tempted to doff it.

Some people dont get on with their beard so they end up shaving it.

Its a shame we are so self-conscious, but thats part of the test I
suppose :-).

Fazal.

ishakbey@dbl2.ces.cwru.edu (Naci Selim Ishakbeyoglu) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.154553.28131@wpi.WPI.EDU> khan@romulus.RUTGERS.EDU (Farrukh Shah Khan) writes:

>In Islam a muslim has to clean (shave) all unwanted hair. That is
>because of the same reason as circumcision (and bad smells). Same is
>(almost) true for the hair on the face. But people like beards, so
>Mohammad PBUH put an upper bound on the size of the beard. It should
>not be more than the width of your knuckle. This so that you won't dip
>it in the gravy when you are eating and is easy to clean.

    It is "sunnah" to grow beard.  In a saying of prophet PBUH,
    he told muslims to shorten their mustaches and to grow their beards long.
    There are several sayings of Prophet PBUH on this subject.

>So the conclusion is that it not required at all infact it is
>preferable not to have one. "But they don't understand ..."

    The conclusion is wrong. Altough it may not be required, it is certainly
    preferred to have one, and strongly encouraged by the prophet PBUH.

>   ^  ~  / *
>   *   '   _
>  __   w  (_) 				Live long and prosper.
> ' _/    __/		   		Farrukh Shah Khan.
>  (__, _/		  		khan@remus.rutgers.edu

   Najee.

ishakbey@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (Naci Selim Ishakbeyoglu) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec12.154553.28131@wpi.WPI.EDU> khan@romulus.RUTGERS.EDU (Farrukh Shah Khan) writes:

>In Islam a muslim has to clean (shave) all unwanted hair. That is
>because of the same reason as circumcision (and bad smells). Same is
>(almost) true for the hair on the face. But people like beards, so
>Mohammad PBUH put an upper bound on the size of the beard. It should
>not be more than the width of your knuckle. This so that you won't dip
>it in the gravy when you are eating and is easy to clean.

    It is "sunnah" to grow beard.  In a saying of prophet PBUH,
    he told muslims to shorten their mustaches and to grow their beards long.
    There are several sayings of Prophet PBUH on this subject.

>So the conclusion is that it not required at all infact it is
>preferable not to have one. "But they don't understand ..."

    The conclusion is wrong. Altough it may not be required, it is certainly
    preferred to have one, and strongly encouraged by the prophet PBUH.

>   ^  ~  / *
>   *   '   _
>  __   w  (_) 				Live long and prosper.
> ' _/    __/		   		Farrukh Shah Khan.
>  (__, _/		  		khan@remus.rutgers.edu

   Najee.

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec12.154553.28131@wpi.WPI.EDU> khan@romulus.RUTGERS.EDU (Farrukh Shah Khan) writes:
>In article <1990Dec11.170212.372@wpi.WPI.EDU> zvs@bby.oz.au (Zev Sero) writes:
>> I would like to know more about this.  Is it a requirement of Islam
>> that Muslims wear beards?  Or is it perhaps only required of `clergy'?
>> Is trimming permitted?  ...

Technical note: in Islam properly there is no `clergy' as such, in the sense
that any Muslim may perform any rite, such as funerals, marriages, etc.
The Shi'a do have a form of clergy in some senses, but I am unfamiliar with
the details.

Since the hadith [* religious traditions *] indicate that wearing a
beard is sunnah [* the practice of the Prophet => good *], wearing a
beard and shaving the mustache *may* be associated with piety. Of
course, every pretender to false piety also will do likewise, so you
have to look at the individual as a whole. By the way, "sunnah" is
sometimes translated as "obligatory", but there is another word,
"fard.", which is *more* obligatory, so "sunnah" is sometimes
translated as "optional obligatory". Thus my "good practice" (which
may be too lukewarm).

>So the conclusion is that it not required at all infact it is
>preferable not to have one. "But they don't understand ..."

** WRONG **.

Note: I am using [] to indicate transliterations and my comments on
quoted material and [* *] to indicate glossary definitions.
Transliterations and definitions appear only the first time the word
is used.

>From the following, you will understand just why people who more aware
are reluctant to make any fatwa [* religious judgement *] based on
incomplete knowledge. Often we may have been convinced by a teacher
with imperfect knowledge that what we are being taught is completely
correct and excludes all other possibilities. This is *bad* and leads
to the very kind of division against which the Qur'an preaches.

The word "sahih" [s.ah.iih.] is translated variously as "sound",
"true", "verified", and is a most strictly researched class of hadith.
Sahih al-Bukhari is one of several collections of such sahih hadith.

Sahih al-Bukhari is divided into Books on related subjects, each
divided into Baabs [* Chapters *], each of which contains numbered
hadiths. The translation I am using leaves out the chains of
transmitters (used to determine the quality of hadith) mostly, except
for the head of the chain, but the Arabic version does contain it.
Where pious sayings appear (they have special typeset Arabic forms) I
use standard abbreviations for the Arabic which are explained where
they first appear.

The following excerpt is from Sahih al-Bukhari, [S.ah.iih. Al-Bukhaarii],
Arabic-English, Vol. VII, p.514-517 (tr. by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan
[Muh.ammad Muhsin Khaan]).

[This is Book LXXII [72], The Book of Dress, Chapters 63 to 65]

**BEGIN EXCERPT**
(63) Chapter [Baab]. To cut short the moustaches.

Ibn `Umar used to cut his moustache so short that the whiteness of his
skin (above the upper lip) was visible, and he used to cut (the hair)
between his moustaches and his beard.

776. Narrated Ibn `Umar (RAA) [Rad.ii Allahi `Anhum [* May Allah be
pleased with him *]] : The Prophet (SAAWS) [Sali Allahu `Alayhi Wa
Sallam [* The blessings of Allah be his and peace *]] said, "To get
the moustaches cut short is characteristic of the Fitra [Fit.ra]." (1)

([From footnote] (1) `Fitra' to the majority of Muslim scholars, means
the Islamic pattern and tradition of the Prophet (SAAWS). (Literally,
it means `human nature'.) Religion of pure Islamic nature (i.e.
worshipping none but Allah). Fitr as a verb also means ``to create''.
(See Qur'aan 30:30).)

[From The Meaning of the Glorious Koran, by Mohammed Marmaduke
Pickthall, Surah 30 (The Romans), Ayat 30: "So set thy purpose (O
Muhammad) for religion as a man by nature upright - the nature
(framed) of Allah, in which He hath created man. There is no altering
(the laws of) Allah's creation. That is the right religion, but most
men know not -".]

777. Narrated Abu Huraira (RAA) : Allah's Apostle (SAAWS) said, "Five
practices are characteristic of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the
pubic region, clipping the nails and cutting the moustaches short."

[The translation here inadvertently left out depilating the hair of
the armpits, which should follow shaving the pubic region above.]

(64) Chapter. The clipping of nails.

778. Narrated Ibn `Umar (RAA) : Allah's Apostle (SAAWS) said, "To
shave the public [sic. should be pubic] hair, to clip the nails, and
to cut the moustaches short, are characteristic of the Fitra."

779. Narrated Abu Huraira (RAA) : I heard the Prophet (SAAWS) saying,
"Five practices are characteristic of the Fitra: Circumcision, shaving
the pubic hair, cutting the moustaches short, clipping the nails, and
depilating the hair of the armpits."

780. Narrated Naafi`: Ibn `Umar said, "The Prophet (SAAWS) said, `Do
the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the
moustaches short.'" Whenever Ibn `Umar performed the Hajj [H.ajj
[* pilgrimage to Mecca, required of every Muslim once in their life if
possible *]] or `Umra [* a lesser but similar pilgrimage to Mecca,
done once as part of Hajj or at will otherwise *], he used to hold his
beard with his hand and cut whatever remained outside his hold.

(65) Chapter. To leave the beard (i.e. not to cut it).

781 Narrated Ibn `Umar (RAA) : Allah's Apostle (SAAWS) said, "Cut the
moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."

**END EXCERPT**

I left this excerpt intact to show what English-speaking scholars have
to contend with. If I had relied on the translation, I would have
missed the errors I indicated. On the other hand, this is a monumental
effort at translation. I am glad to have it available, warts and all.

The moral: don't make absolute pronouncements without checking the
primary sources - Qur'an and hadith.

A side note: on postings of this type, is the in-line glossary and
commentary (as here) preferable, or would a preceding glossary and
footnote-type trailing comments be better?

Thanks,
Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

jnawaz@skat.usc.edu (Jemshed Nawaz) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec18.222122.13565@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:

|>([From footnote] (1) `Fitra' to the majority of Muslim scholars, means
|>the Islamic pattern and tradition of the Prophet (SAAWS). (Literally,
|>it means `human nature'.) Religion of pure Islamic nature (i.e.
|>worshipping none but Allah). Fitr as a verb also means ``to create''.
|>(See Qur'aan 30:30).)

What a coincidence....I just now happened to see this word among the
Dictionary of Qur'anic Terms in the "Al'Furqan International" Magazine
and the definition given:

FITRAH:	nature, true form of reality, a concept of great importance in
	the essentials of human nature which stimulate tenderness,
	qualities of love, compassion, benevolence and generosity
	without external interference. In a true sense, these
	qualities belong to Allah alone as being the Benevolent, the
	Merciful (Al-Rahman, Al-Rahim). Man, being a creation of
	Almighty Allah, is bestowed with such qualities which are
	essential for fulfilling the purpose of life in order to obey
	the commands of his Creator and Cherisher.
		FITRAH is deprived of freedom to make wrong and does
	not yield to the tendency of weakness in making sin at its
	accord. It connotes entirely positive and optimistic concept
	of life and completely submits to its actual and natural form.
	FITRAH is not destroyed but only with a deliberate act of
	forbearing transgression. It is perfect and absolute. The Holy
	Qur'an says:
		"This is He who knoweth what is out of our knowledge
		and what is within it, the Mighty, the Merciful, who
		hath made everything which He hath created most
		perfect."(Surah Sajda:6,7).
		The "perfect" here referred is FITRAH. Allah fashions
	every detail of His creation in accordance with the functions
	intended for it, irrespective of whether those functions can
	be conceived by man or they are beyond the reach of his
	perception. These creations are perfect and fair. There are
	many valid reasons that Al'Islam is the religion which coheres
	with the FITRAH of man.

|>Thanks,
|>Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)
|>
|>Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

Jemshed Nawaz