[soc.religion.islam] Part of verse iv:34

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (01/29/91)

I received a few requests for this article.  So I am posting it
again.  -Behnam

In article <14502@wpi.wpi.edu>, ken@images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Ken Braithwaite)
writes:

>In the Qu'ran it says:
>	 In wives in whom you fear disobdience... admonish them, and
>	 beat them, and send them to beds apart.
>(This may be Surah 81?)
>To me this is sexist. Can anyone explain this as anything but
>sexist?
>-- Ken Braithwaite

	   This is part of verse 34 in chapter 4.

	   Unlike the rest of verse iv:34 for which there are a good
	   many conflicting translations and interpretations, there
	   seems to be a general concurrence on the meaning
	   of this part of the verse.  The reason is that there are
	   ahadith (quotations attributed to the Prophet Mohammad,
	   peace be upon him) which explain what this verse means.
	   The consensus, Yusuf Ali informs us in his note on this
	   verse, is such that "all the authorities are unanimous in
	   deprecating any sort of cruelty, even of the nagging
	   kind..."

	   Another translator of the Quran, Muhammad Asad, quotes the
	   ahadith attributed to the Prophet on the issue of
	   wife-beating and also particularly about this verse.

	   About wife-beating Asad writes:

	      It is evident from many authentic Traditions that the
	      Prophet himself intensely detested the idea of beating
	      one's wife, and said on more than one occasion, "Could any
	      of you beat his wife as he would beat a slave, and then
	      lie with her in the evening?" (Bukhari, and Muslim).
	      According to another tradition, he forbade the beating of
	      _any_ woman with the words, "Never beat God's handmaidens"
	      (Abu Da'ud, Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Ibn
	      Hibban, and Hakim, on the authority of Iyas ibn Abd Allah
	      ibn Abbas; and Bayhaqi, on the authority of Umm Kulthum).

	   Then further quotes the ahadith describing the nature of the
	   (painless!) "beating" mentioned in verse iv:34 :

	       With all this, he [Muhammad] stipulated in his sermon on
	       the occasion of the Farewell Pilgrimage, shortly before
	       his death, that beating should resorted to only if the
	       wife "HAS BECOME GUILTY, IN AN OBVIOUS MANNER, OF IMMORAL
	       CONDUCT", and that it should be done "in such a way as NOT
	       TO CAUSE PAIN (ghayr mubarrih)"; authentic Traditions to
	       this effect are found in Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Da'ud,
	       Nasa'i and Ibn Majah.  On the basis of these Traditions,
	       all the authorities stress that this "beating", if
	       resorted to at all, should be more or less symbolic- "with
	       a toothbrush, or some such thing" (Tabari, quoting the
	       views of scholars of the earliest times), or even "With a
	       folded handkerchief" (Razi); and some of the greatest
	       Muslim scholars (e.g. Ash-Shafi'i) are of the opinion that
	       it is just barely permissible, and should preferably be
	       avoided: and they justify this opinion by the Prophet's
	       personal feelings with regard to this problem.

	   For readers who aren't familiar with Islam, the Islamic
	   punishments for immoral conduct [e.g. adultery,
	   fornication, etc. ] are the same for both sexes.

	   Regards,
	   Behnam Sadeghi

	   P.S. for the sake of completeness it should be said that
	   there actually is another translation of this verse.
	   That's by Ahmed Ali who translates "wadhribu" into "have
	   sexual intercourse with them" instead of "beat them."  He
	   goes into a discussion to explain why he believes
	   that's the correct translation.  But this translation can
           be accepted only if one is willing to dismiss as spurious
           the hadith concerning the verse.