[soc.religion.islam] Qur'anic "Love Thine Enemy"

muchlis@math.wisc.edu (Ahmad Muchlis) (02/03/91)

In <1991Jan29.085918.1135@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu wrote:

> As to the specific word "love", this is reserved for spousal
> relations, exclusively.

Not if your "love" means the Arabic "mahabbah". Two examples
from the Qur'an:

3:31:  Say: "If you do love Allah, follow me. Allah will
       love you and forgive you your sins, for Allah is
       Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

5:54 (v. 57 in A. Yusuf Ali):  O you who believe, if any
       from among you turn back from his Faith, soon will
       Allah produce a people whom He will love as they
       will love Him ....

>From these ayat, it is clear that "love" applies to the
relationship between Allah (SWT) and human beings.

More comment: In my perception there is no basic difference
between various loves: love to Allah (SWT), love to spouse,
love to offsprings, love to parents, etc.
All involve emotional attachment, eagerness to please, fear
of displeasure, readiness to sacrifice (of course they are
manifested in different ways). Love to Allah (SWT), however,
should supercede love to others. The latter is also applied
in varying degrees. Allahu a'lam.

--Muchlis