[soc.religion.islam] Our Attitude toward Questions by Non-Muslims

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (02/05/91)

Recently M. Looi posted an article in which s/he said that s/he had
a negative impression of Islam and that this feeling was affirmed
when s/he saw the movie "Not Without My Daughter."   That M. Looi
has a negative impression of Islam must not be surprising, given
the enormous amount of anti-Islamic propaganda in the West.  What
is refreshing is that s/he was sincere enough to admit that s/he has
been given a negative impression of Islam and to ask the Moslem folks
about *their* viewpoint.  This was an opportunity for Moslem netters
to help correct some of M. Looi's misconceptions about Islam.
Unfortunately, the people who responded were too much on
the defensive and didn't provide a polite and appropriate reply.

I received an E-mail from a brother about this matter which I would
like to share with you.

Salam,
Behnam Sadeghi

<EXCERPT OF E-MAIL FROM MUSLIM BROTHER:>

>Subject: Re: Help me
>From: mh52+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mohamed Adzlee Harun)
>Date: 3 Feb 91 02:16:54 GMT
>

> <<<I would have considered changing Mr. Looi's views on Islam, but his
>resolute tone gave his rigidity on the subject quite away.>>>>
>
>I agree with you on this point 100%
>
>-Shaheedah

The original article  by mr/ms looi was *not* so full of animosity towards
Islam to deserve this kind of treatment. This is the second acrid post by a
Muslim in reply to what may have been a genuine comment.

I wish you would point this out. These people should fear Allah for if they
(by the tone of their posts) reinforce the impression to the original poster
that Muslims are nasty people then it reflects badly on Islam.

I had already mailed the first muslim respondent and reminded him about the
hadith that if a person believes in Allah and the Last Day then s/he should
either say something GOOD or KEEP QUIET.

Also there is another to the effect that a MUSTARD seed worth of pride or
arrogance in one's heart is enough to block one's path to Paradise.

I would feel much better if these views had been aired as a reply to these
unfriendly ripostes.

<END OF EXCERPT>