[soc.religion.islam] Anti-Islamic bias

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (02/12/91)

This article was lifted from another newsgroup.  -Behnam

Subject: Re: Stereotyping of Islam in media
From: culmer@edu.upenn.cis.grad1 (Charles Culmer)

In article <1991Jan31.235430.1113@mentorg.com> imt@mentorg.com
(Imtiyazul Haque) writes:

>After watching CNN's "Special Assignment on Terrorism" two times during
>the last week I felt that CNN has implicitly linked Islam with terrorism.
>I am really troubled by this and am sending a letter of protest against
>their style of reporting. Most of you would agree with me regarding the
>stereotyping of Islam in particular and any other race/religion in general
>in the media.

There is a lot of propaganda about terrorism, especially about Islam and
Soviet sponsorship of "international terrorism".  (The Soviet stuff might
be undergoing revision with the end of the Cold War.)

If you're bothered by this CNN report, you should read Edward Herman and
Gerry O'Sullivan, The "Terrorism" Industry--The Experts and Institutions
that Shape our View of Terror, Pantheon, 1989 (paper, $15.95).  Read this
book to help see through the propaganda.

If you want to see some of the propaganda--and terribly poor scholarship--
check out Benjamin Netanyahu (ed.), Terrorism--How the West Can Win, Avon,
1986 (paper, $4.50).  You'll enjoy Netanyahu's explanations--

     The antagonism of Islamic and Arab radicalism to the West is
     frequently misunderstood.  It is sometimes explained as deriving
     from American support for Israel.  But the hostility to the West
     preceded the creation of Israel by centuries, and much of the
     terrorists' animus is directed against targets and issues that
     have nothing to do with Israel.  Indeed, the relationship is
     most often the other way around.  Middle Eastern radicals did
     not develop their hatred for the West because of Israel; they
     hated Israel from its inception *because it is an organic part
     of the West*.  That is, because Israel represents for them
     precisely the incarnation of those very traditions and values,
     foremost of which is democracy, which they hate and fear.
                          ^^^^^^^^^
     (pp. 62-3, asterisks indicate italics in original)

Presumably it wasn't democracy that caused the Arabs to hate and fear the
West in 1748.  Unfortunately, Netanyahu doesn't give an explanation.  This
material is followed by three moronic essays--

     Bernard Lewis, "Islamic Terrorism?"
     Elie Kedourie, "Political Terrorism in the Muslim World"
     P. J. Vatikiotis, "The Spread of Islamic Terrorism"

These morons apparently didn't read Netanyahu's introduction to the Islam
section--or else he didn't read their essays.  Kedourie writes--

     A more purely European provenance is usual in terrorist movements
     and activities in the world of Islam during this [19th] century.
     This is the case with Wardany, a French-educated Muslim pharmacist
     who murdered the Coptic prime minister of Egypt, Butros Ghali, in
     1910, and who, awaiting execution in his prison cell, was busy
     reading Bagehot's *British Constitution* and Rousseau's *Social
     Contract*, and sketching a political treatise to deal with the
     constitution of a future Islamic government.  (p. 73)

Here's something else you might enjoy.  This isn't about terrorism, but it
is about the stereotyping of Muslims as religious fanatics.  From Lies of
Our Times, November, 1990, p. 2--

     Back in March (p. 19) we ran a letter Nabeel Abraham sent to the
     New York Times complaining about a mistranslation of the Arabic in
     a photo caption.  Lebanese journalists were shown carrying a sign
     which actually read "Freedom of the Press, Yes to the Printed Word,
     No to Terror,"  The Times said the sign read "In Allah's hands we
     are safe."  The letter, of course, was not published by the Times.

     Now they are at it again.

     The first page of the business section on September 12 (p. C1)
     presented a piece about the Bank of Kuwait.  Illustrating it was
     the logo of the bank, shown below [not here], with this caption:
     "The logotype of the National Bank of Kuwait proclaims, 'There
     is no deity but Allah.'"

     Abraham sent off another letter which reads in part:  "The
     logotype proclaims no such thing.  The Arabic inscription merely
     says, 'National Bank of Kuwait, Kuwait, 1952.'"

One last thing.  I'm getting tired of hearing Tom Brokaw and other guys on
television talk about the "Arab masses".  They never mention the "American
masses", the "European masses", or the "Israeli masses".  I'm tired of the
"Muslim faithful", too.

Charles W. Culmer
culmer@grad1.cis.upenn.edu        Truth, justice, and the Canadian way