[soc.religion.islam] Verse 33:59, Hijab's function, and women's security

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/18/91)

(Excuse me while I also correct my misspelling of "hijab"!)

In article

Behnam Sadeghi writes

>>Perhaps one of the verses talking of "hijab" suggests one solution to
>>such shameful treatment of the Sisters.
>>
>>33:59
>>
>>"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters, as well as all [other]
>>believing women, that they should draw over themselves some of their
>>outer garments [when in public]: this will be more conducive to their
>>being recognized [as decent women] and not annoyed. But [whithal,] God
>>is indeed much forgiving, a dispenser of grace!"
>>
>>Precisely because of the way the Sisters are dressing they are being
>>annoyed/harassed. If one of the ideas of the above verse is to keep a
>>Sister from being annoyed by "dressing properly" she should dress to
>>become indistinguishable from the crowd. Then nobody would pay
>>particular attention to her, thus her modesty would not be
>>compromised.

>I have seen fatwaas (both Sunni and Shia ones), that if somebody's life
>is directly threatened it's OK to temporarily suspend some Islamic
>obligations on the surface. But I do NOT think there's such a
>situation at present point.  The danger posed to Moslems (especially
>women) at this point can be easily averted by the precautionary steps
>mentioned in brother Fazal`s article.  I don't think the millions of
>Moslems living in the West should change their way of life and stop
>being Moslems on the surface just because of the incidents up to this
>point.   This would seem like a gross over-reaction to the situation.
>
>Behnam Sadeghi

If one looks at the root of the Arabic verb of the word in question in
verse 33:59 the root is aa.(th).ia, which means to suffer damage, to
be harmed. The form IV verb means to harm, hurt, wrong, to molest,
annoy, irritate, trouble. Form IV - to suffer damage, be wronged, to
feel offended, be hurt. (Hans Wehr Arabic-English dictionary)

Those of you who refer to Muhammad Asad's translation of the Qur'an
will note that he renders the same root in 33:57 as "affront".

Rape certainly fits into this category!

One outward change certainly will not affect the faith in their
hearts! If the Sister' security is increased, the verse (and the verb
in question) certainly indicate it is acceptable!