[soc.religion.islam] 1979 Takeover of the Haram for soc.religion.islam

aj3u@wilbury.cs.virginia.edu (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar8.122018.1473@cbnewsj.att.com> twheeler@cbnewsj.att.com (theodore wheeler) writes:

> In article <8bpay9S00WBK81=6hW@andrew.cmu.edu> mh52+@andrew.cmu.edu
> (Mohamed Adzlee Harun) writes:
> > Are you sure they are terrorist who want to takeover the Haram?  As I
> > recall, the group ( I forgot the name, Jumain(?) - but to refer to
> > certain tribe ) has a history of enmity with the al-Saud family. They
> > lost during the Al-Saud took over Hijaz from the Ottoman Empire.  The
> > incident cannot be referred as an attempt to takeover Haram. Why would
> > they want to takeover the Haram? How would they sustain such takeover?
> > Previously, they might probably try to topple the Al-Saud regime. They
> > tried to find a safe haven in Haram when they were attacked since no
> > bloodbath can take place in the Haram.  They actually congregated to
> > the Haram with their family - wife and children.  I don't know what
> > happened to the members of their family.
> >
> > I hope somebody can shed some light on this.
> >
> > Peace,
> > Mohamad
> >

> For more information on the attempted takeover of the mosque, check
> National Geographic.  Just look at the index.  I'm sure you must have
> the copy.  Isn't there some kind of law that requires everyone to keep
> back issues of NG?  |-)

Also a good summary of the episode can be found in the New York Times
of the 25 Feb (and 19 Feb) 1980, where there is a full-page article on
the background to the takeover.  I would recommend against the earlier
newreports since most of them were based on unreliable sources and
were later proved false (for example the report in the NYT that the
group that took over the Haram was Iranian.  Soon after this incorrect
report Khomeini retorted by charging the US with initiating the
takeover.  What was interesting was that when it became apparent that
the gunmen were primarily Saudis the NYT lashed out at the Islamic
Republic for its "malicious" slander, completely forgetting its own
irresponsibility).  Also in the report I mention above, value-loaded
words like "zealot", "fanatic", and "xenophobic" are used rather
excessively.

I will briefly summarize the account here.  The entire article is too
long to be transcribed.  I will try to maintain chronological
ordering.  After the historical background and the details of the
takeover itself, I have included some excerpts from the writings of
the leader of the takeover.

The leader of the group that took over the Haram was called Juhayman
Bin Muhammad Bin Seif Al-Oteiba, and was a student of theology at the
University of Madina till 1973, (when he was 22).  At this point he
dropped out of the university "after clashing repeatedly with his
teachers over their interpretation of the application of Islamic law
to day-to-day life.

"In 1974, he decided to pursue his studies independently.  Several
other theology students soon joined him.  His most important follower
was Muhammad Bin Abdullah al-Qahtani, who dropped out of the Madina
school at the age of 21.  Together they rented a house and began to
gather a following."...  Somewhere during this period he wrote his
seminal work, "Rule, Allegiance and Obedience".

"In 1974 Mr Oteiba was arrested several times and questioned by the
Saudi authorities", but was always rescued by his teachers from Madina
and by his tribe.  The Saudis claim that he had been arrested on
charges of possessing liquor, charges to which he apparently confessed
after his final arrest (these, however do not appear to be very
credible).  In 1975 he went into hiding protected by his supporters
and his tribe the Oteibas.  Of his followers about 80% were Saudis and
the rest were Egyptians, Moroccans, Yemenis, Kuwaitis, Sudanis, Iraqis
and Pakistanis.

The takeover of the Haram was allegedly inspired by a dream Juhayman
had at the beginning of 1979, after which he declared Al-Qahtani the
Mahdi.  Various "experts" believe that this did not have any
connotations of divinity (contrary to the insistance of the Saudi
authorities), but rather was "a political move with Islamic
foundations."

The takeover was executed by carrying into the Haram arms concealed in
coffins (which are frequently taken inside for funeral services).
Having entered, the group of about 250 sealed the doors and spread out
across the building, and then allowed the pilgrims to leave in peace.
At this point almost all of the 45000 pilgrims inside came out.  After
repeated assaults and considerable casualties on both sides the Saudis
managed to remove the group from the Haram.  The groups included 20
women.  The 63 people who were recovered alive were beheaded on the
9th of January 1980.

According to a report in Newsweek (citing Western European
intelligence sources) the attack was an attempt to kidnap King Khalid,
who had been planning to visit the Haram that day.  The plan was to
hold him until three demands were met : The establishment of a
puritanical Islamic republic, a cutback in oil production, and a
loosening of Western ties.  The monarch had cancelled his trip due to
a sore throat.

Here are some excerpts from Juhayman's writings and interviews :

"The Khalifa or the leader of the Islamic people must be a Muslim
chosen by the people and must uphold the religion.  Yet we are living
today under an imposed royalty, where it is not the Muslims who choose
the Khalifa but the rulers have imposed themselves on the ruled, and
where the disapproval of the Muslim does not result in removing the
monarchy...

"The best and most obvious example [of the deception by the rulers] is
the founder of their state, King Abdul Aziz and the tribal elders who
share his power, who are in agreement and in support of his policies,
or silent about his wrong doings.  He called upon the Ikhwan, may God
rest their souls, to support him on the basis of the Quran and the
tenets of the religion as the imam of all Muslims.  They fought for
him, spread the faith and opened the country for him.  But as soon as
his power was established and as soon as he secured what he wanted, he
allied himself with the Christians and stopped the struggle outside
the peninsula.

"Anyone with eyesight can see today how they represent religion as a
form of humiliation, insult and mockery.  These rulers have subjected
Muslims to their interests and made religion into a way of acquiring
materialistic interests.  They have brought upon the Muslims all evil
and corruption.

"Those who seek degrees from universities do not mean to uphold the
religion.  They mean to secure a job, to acquire material wealth, to
increase their possession of real estate, cars and clothes.  Education
is not a way of serving God but a way for them [the rulers] to fill
jobs and use people."

"I am a Muslim, who happens to be born in a place they named Saudi
Arabia... the message is to challenge all these rulers who have no
rights of obedience upon us" ...