[soc.religion.islam] sabeans ?

blais@cs.utexas.edu (Donald E. Blais) (04/09/91)

In article <00946A3A.EFBA79C0@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU> baltuch@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU ( ) writes:
>For a long time I have been curious about the apparently
>mysterious Sabeans that are supposed to be (according to
>Islam) non-Idolators (along with Jews and Christians)
>
>Can somebody enlighten me as to who those guys are, exactly?

Jeffery, Arthur
Foreign vocabulary of the Qur'an
L of Congress:  PJ 6696 J44

    The exegetes had no idea what people was meant by [al-Sabi'un]
    as is evident from the long list of conflicting opinions given
    by [al-Tabari]... [...] ...the fact that Muhammad himself was
    called a Sabi by his contemporaries, seems to show that the word
    was used technically in his milieu, and is not a mere confusion
    with Sabaean [of S. Arabia].  [The initial letter of Sabi'un is
    the letter "sad" which correlates to the Hebrew letter "tzade".
    The initial letter of Saba' in S. Arabia is the letter "sin".]

Ali, A. Yusuf
Holy Qur'an
L of Congress:  BP 109 Y8

    Latest researches have revealed a small remnant of a religious
    community numbering about 2,000 souls in Lower Iraq, near Basra.
    In Arabic they are called Subbi (plural Subba).  They are also
    called Sabians, and Nasoraeans, or Mandaeans, or Christians of St.
    John.  They claim to be Gnostics, or Knowers of the Great Life.
    They dress in white, and believe in frequent immersions in water.
    Their Book Ginza is in a dialect of Aramaic...

--
Donald E. Blais             Internet: blais@emx.utexas.edu
Computation Center          Bitnet:   blais@utxvms