[soc.religion.islam] Dress Codes in Islam ....

whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca (04/05/91)

some African societies who have a very lax dress code but who are
also relatively free of 'social crimes'. I would
be indebted to him if he would mention the names of a couple
of those societies, since I seem to recall that the problem
with AIDS in Africa is that people have a very lax moral code.
This is to the extent that *heterosexual* transmission of AIDS
has become much more of a problem than *homosexual* spread.
This would seem to indicate a problem. At least to me .
The issue that I'm trying to adress is that Islam is not an irrational
religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
behaviour and relations between the sexes to alcohol consumption.

Wael M. R. Haddara
School of Pharmacy
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland
Canada
All disclaimers apply. I'm only a student :-)

whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca (04/05/91)

[Note by a moderator:  I am posting this submission by Wael again since due
to reasons unknown to me it showed up distorted the first time I
posted it.  Hopefully, it'll turn out all right this time.  -Behnam ]

        In a previous article Anoosh Husseini writes regarding

anoosh@mips.com (Anoosh Hosseini) (04/08/91)

>         In a previous article Anoosh Husseini writes regarding
		                      ^^^^^^^ (Hosseini) please,
I am not related to Saddam Hussein. :-)

> some African societies who have a very lax dress code but who are
> also relatively free of 'social crimes'. I would
> be indebted to him if he would mention the names of a couple
> of those societies, since I seem to recall that the problem
> with AIDS in Africa is that people have a very lax moral code.
> This is to the extent that *heterosexual* transmission of AIDS
> has become much more of a problem than *homosexual* spread.
> This would seem to indicate a problem. At least to me .

Well start with Zulus in Africa, and indians in the Amazon region of
South America.  I don't have enough information to discuss the nature
of the spread of AIDS in Africa.  The point I was trying to make required
you to have followed discussion in S.C.Iranian.  There were some who based
their whole argument on dress code in the West, and as we know there is much
more to the World than just the Islamic countries and the West.  There are many
cultures which require less body cover than the Islamic dress code, but still
demonstrate high moral values. And as I mentioned before, Even with 11 years
of enforced hijab, we have many social problems in Iran.  I am not making this
point to humiliate anyone, rather to demonstrate that society needs to
install good values and common sense.  Forcing hijab which is relatively
easy, is not a cure all, and we should stop fooling ourselves.

> The issue that I'm trying to address is that Islam is not an irrational
> religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
> been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
> adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
> behaviour and relations between the sexes to alcohol consumption.

Yes, in fact I generally agree. Take for example the consumption of pork, or
shark meat.  The latter will cause sinkness if not properly treated because
the shark has urine tubes going through its flesh (Please correct
me on the exact detail, its been a while since biology 101 :-)
It made sense to make such animals "haram" for consumption.  But with
science and technology we are able to address these problems today.
(In either case, pigs each a lot of garbage, so I wouldn't recommend it
even if they are no longer hazardous to your health. As they say, you are
what you eat. :-)

Islam encourages the presuit of knowledge, and the sciences.  Fundamental
to science is asking questions. So it is not Un-Islamic to discuss such topics.
I think by studying history, understanding the social and economic climate of
the time, even those rulings which may seem questionable today, find quite
rational explanations. In that regard there are systematic ways of introducing
new laws based on our new understandings.  However I think there is group of
people who because of power, of which they want to remain the center
of, would prefer that no questions or very few be ask.  Asking small questions
may lead to bigger and more fundamental questions, and this will threaten the
traditional power granted to certain individuals.

> Wael M. R. Haddara
> School of Pharmacy
> Memorial University of Newfoundland
> St. John's, Newfoundland
> Canada
> All disclaimers apply. I'm only a student :-)

peace,

-anoosh
(all disclaimers here too, I'm only an engineer :-)

reddy@mips.com (T.S. Reddy) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.044254.15940@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:

>        In a previous article Anoosh Husseini writes regarding
>some African societies who have a very lax dress code but who are
>also relatively free of 'social crimes'. I would
>be indebted to him if he would mention the names of a couple
>of those societies, since I seem to recall that the problem
>with AIDS in Africa is that people have a very lax moral code.
>This is to the extent that *heterosexual* transmission of AIDS
>has become much more of a problem than *homosexual* spread.
>This would seem to indicate a problem. At least to me .
>The issue that I'm trying to adress is that Islam is not an irrational
>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
>behaviour and relations between the sexes to alcohol consumption.
>

>Wael M. R. Haddara

    I don't think this is very difficult to find. I have seen many
National Geographic specials on TV on the life of tribal societies
in Africa (and South America) where the women and men wear a
minimal amount of clothing. However, these societies are far removed
from the 'modern African (or South American)' life in the cities or
where civilization has touched society and where, as you say,
the spread of AIDS has become a problem. They exist mainly on the
plains and in the jungles. Their society is very tight knit so they
can impose a rudimentary societal code which serves them well and
precludes any abnormal behavior because of it. In fact, many of these
tribes were devastated by their exposure to 'civilization' because
it brought with them diseases like cholera etc. against which they had
no natural defenses.

    But I can give you an example from a few years ago in India which
brings up the dichotomy between this 'tribal' way of thinking and
it's clash with conservative values. These is a certain sect in the
southern Indian state of Kerala (which has a very harmonious mix
of Muslim, Christian and Hindu populations) where the women used to
go around topless (without any problems). Apparently, a conservative
Christian group managed to infuse the thought amongst these women that
doing so was amoral. Consequently, the women started covering themselves,
which had the men up in arms about it. I do not know how the issue was
resolved but, suffice to say, it caused quite a furor.

    But this brings up the point of moral codes. These tribes do not
see the relationship between males and females in the same way that,
say, Western or Islamic societies see them. Consequently they do not
need to impose the rules and restrictions that the latter societies
impose. Their measure of morality is quite different from ours.
Perhaps if we can go back to basics and see the relationship between
the sexes as a question of survival of the human race as opposed to
a pursuit of desirous objects, then we can start thinking in the same
manner too.
--
T.S.Reddy (e-mail: reddy@mips.com)

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans
                                                          John Lennon.

lateef@csseq.tamu.edu (Afroz Lateef) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.043242.15563@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>some African societies who have a very lax dress code but who are
>also relatively free of 'social crimes'. I would

>of those societies, since I seem to recall that the problem
>with AIDS in Africa is that people have a very lax moral code.
>This is to the extent that *heterosexual* transmission of AIDS
>has become much more of a problem than *homosexual* spread.
>This would seem to indicate a problem. At least to me .
>The issue that I'm trying to adress is that Islam is not an irrational
>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Wael M. R. Haddara
>All disclaimers apply. I'm only a student :-)

   WELL SAID!

   Even if we try to explain somethings, it is beyond the
understanding of someof the people. (those whose minds are corrupted by
 satan).

M. Afroz Lateef
Also a student
(at _)  TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY.

gt8145a@prism.gatech.edu (FADEL,AYMAN HOSSAM) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.044254.15940@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:

>The issue that I'm trying to adress is that Islam is not an irrational
>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
>behaviour and relations between the sexes to alcohol consumption.
>

>Wael M. R. Haddara

I think we should avoid attempting to justify or defend Islamic injunctions
rationally.  Rationality, as we know it today, is a product of a culture
that does not (admit to) believe in the non-empirical, i.e. that which
is not perceived by the five physical senses.

There can be no religion without belief in the unseen (al-iimaan bil-ghayb).
It is then entirely useless to discuss religion with people who
will not believe in the unseen.

In addition, I prefer to equate rationality with hawaa, or whim.  In most
cases, we merely rationalize whatever we wanted to believe anyway, and
then we sanctify it (our whim) over revelation by calling it rationality.

salam,

ayman

--
FADEL,AYMAN HOSSAM
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8145a

bes@tybalt.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (04/11/91)

Although I believe in a certain amount of "cultural relativism"
(i.e. the idea that an institution that is good in a certain
social structure can be harmful in another context), I think
that there are many priciples that transcend the social and
historical contexts due to the common human nature.  I think one
of these principles is that covering the body (to whatever extent)
"contributes" to a healthier society by "helping" to reduce
promiscuity and other problems in the long run.  A society based on
Islam would certainly be one that would not consider promiscuity a
virtue. I think that's where the Islamic injunctions  concerning modest
dress coupled with the Quranic command to "lower your gaze"  come
from.  [Let me stress that I am not an expert on Islam and this is just
my personal viewpoint which may be wrong; there are probably other
reasons too].

-----

Anoosh Hosseini writes:

>Well start with Zulus in Africa, and indians in the Amazon region of
>South America.  I don't have enough information to discuss the nature
>of the spread of AIDS in Africa.

You never mentioned what the rate of fornication, adultery, and rape are
in such cultures.

>you to have followed discussion in S.C.Iranian.  There were some who based
>their whole argument on dress code in the West, and as we know there is much
>more to the World than just the Islamic countries and the West.  There are many
>cultures which require less body cover than the Islamic dress code, but still
>demonstrate high moral values. And as I mentioned before, Even with 11 years
>of enforced hijab, we have many social problems in Iran.  I am not making this
>point to humiliate anyone, rather to demonstrate that society needs to
>install good values and common sense.  Forcing hijab which is relatively
>easy, is not a cure all, and we should stop fooling ourselves.

Although these social problems (e.g. fornication or sexual crimes) will always
exist in any society, I believe the long-term enforcement of hijab "helps"
reduce or at least keep in check these problems.  I am certain that the rate
of these problems is significantly less in those Islamic countries that have
been enforcing hijab for a long time than in other nations.  [This view is a
personal assessment and is not based on a statistical analysis].

By the way, nobody is saying that hijab is a cure-all; there are many
different and complex factors that affect social behavior. Clothing is just
one of these factors.

----

A brother wrote that we must not appeal to rationalism when dealing
with Islamic injuctions.  I humbly disagree with this mainly because
the Holy Quran itself often uses rational aruguements to justify
Islamic injunctions.

In cases when the Quran doesn't use such arguments, then there's
nothing wrong in "speculating" about rational reasons behind
the injuctions as long as we are conscious that we are only
speculating.  In other words, we shouldn't become dogmatic about
arguments that are the products of human reasoning.  [By the way,
this inludes most of the body of fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence)].

Behnam Sadeghi

hanan@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Hanan Lutfiyya) (04/11/91)

In Message-ID: <1991Apr9.060113.7445@wpi.WPI.EDU> (M. Afroz Lateef) writes
>In article <1991Apr5.043242.15563@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Wael M. R. Haddara
>>All disclaimers apply. I'm only a student :-)
>>
>   WELL SAID!

>   Even if we try to explain somethings, it is beyond the
>understanding of someof the people. (those whose minds are corrupted by
> satan).

>M. Afroz Lateef
>Also a student
>(at _)  TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY.

   Let's be careful here.  Do all rulings have to be necessarily correct?
Many "Islamic scholars" make "rulings".  All use the Quran to make
their claims.  Are we suppose to never question these scholars?
  A person questioning a "ruling" by an "Islamic scholar" is not
necessarily influenced by Satan or is it because this person will
not blindly follow "Islamic scholars".
  Also different scholars will have different opinions and approaches.
Different scholars will have conflicting opinions on the same
subject.  Are you saying that there is one correct view and
all different opinions are the result of minds that have been
corrupted by Satan?
  One example of what I would consider a stupid, silly ruling
is the Saudi "Islamic scholar" who said that
women should not drive.  This "scholar" also ruled that the
earth was the center of the universe.  He only changed his mind
after a Saudi astronaut went up in the Space Shuttle.  He seems
to have a great deal of influence in Saudi Arabia.  Should he
be followed blindly just because he is an Islamic scholar?
Rather people should be able to do some reasoning for themselves.

Hanan Lutfiyya
(Always a student)
University of Missouri-Rolla

whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr5.044254.15940@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun

>>The issue that I'm trying to adress is that Islam is not an irrational
>>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
>>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
>>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
>>behaviour and relations between the sexes to alcohol consumption.
>>

>>Wael M. R. Haddara

>I think we should avoid attempting to justify or defend Islamic injunctions
>rationally.  Rationality, as we know it today, is a product of a culture
>that does not (admit to) believe in the non-empirical, i.e. that which
>is not perceived by the five physical senses.

        I agree that we should avoid trying to rationalize Islam. That
does not mean, however, that Islam is not rational. It simply means
that we do not posess enough knowledge to make such judgements across
the board. Islamic rulings ARE rational. God does not forbid something
just to make it a pain for us. In surat Al-Ma'eda, verse 6 : " God
does not wish to burden you". Hence if you can't eat pork it's because
there is a reason behind it.

>There can be no religion without belief in the unseen (al-iimaan bil-ghayb).
>It is then entirely useless to discuss religion with people who
>will not believe in the unseen.

>In addition, I prefer to equate rationality with hawaa, or whim.  In most
>cases, we merely rationalize whatever we wanted to believe anyway, and
>then we sanctify it (our whim) over revelation by calling it rationality.

        I must disagree with that. We are asked to *rationaly*
evaluate Islam. We are presented with a book ( Qur'an). The claim is
that this book is from God. You must sit down and objectively
determine for yourself whether or not it indeed is. This stems from
the precept that God is just. He gives us the wherewithal for
guidance. Now, once you believe that the Qur'an is the word of God,
you do not judge its individual rulings because that is to presume
that you can understand the mind of God, which of course is not true.
So, in summary, you can rationalize the theology, but not  the
practice ( i.e Al-'aqeeda vs al-'ibadat )

>salam,
Wa alaikum alsalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

>ayman

>--
>FADEL,AYMAN HOSSAM
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>uucp:    ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8145a
>Internet: gt8145a@prism.gatech.edu
>--

Wael M. Haddara                    | whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca
School of Pharmacy                 |
Memorial Univ of Newfoundland      | "I have tried too to be a
St.John's, Newfoundland            | philosopher in my time; but I
Canada                             | don't know how, cheerfulness was
                                   | always breaking in"
All Disclaimers apply- I'm only    |   Oliver Edwards
a student :-)                      |

whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca (04/13/91)

#>In Message-ID: <1991Apr9.060113.7445@wpi.WPI.EDU> (M. Afroz Lateef) writes
#>In article <1991Apr5.043242.15563@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.m
#>>religion, especially as regards social restrictions. When a ruling has
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
#>>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#>>adverse consequences. This applies to such varied things from 'moral'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#>>Wael M. R. Haddara
#>>All disclaimers apply. I'm only a student :-)
#>>
#>   WELL SAID!
#
#>   Even if we try to explain somethings, it is beyond the
#>understanding of someof the people. (those whose minds are corrupted by
#> satan).

#>M. Afroz Lateef
#>Also a student
#>(at _)  TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY.

>   Let's be careful here.  Do all rulings have to be necessarily correct?
>Many "Islamic scholars" make "rulings".  All use the Quran to make
>their claims.  Are we suppose to never question these scholars?
>  A person questioning a "ruling" by an "Islamic scholar" is not
>necessarily influenced by Satan or is it because this person will
>not blindly follow "Islamic scholars".

        Let me qualify my initial statement : When one breaks
*unequivocal Qur'anic admonitions* one can expect adverse
consequences.

>  Also different scholars will have different opinions and approaches.
>Different scholars will have conflicting opinions on the same
>subject.  Are you saying that there is one correct view and
>all different opinions are the result of minds that have been
>corrupted by Satan?

        The difference between scholars is an acceptable and healthy
thing. The prophet pbuh said : "My companions are like stars,
whichever of them you follow, you will be guided." So, in a way, he
recognized the difference in practice. So long, of course, as the
difference is within a clearly demarcated area.

darwish@eng.umd.edu (Ali Darwish) (04/17/91)

Assalamu `alaykum. Sister Hanan Lutfiyya writes:

>   Let's be careful here.  Do all rulings have to be necessarily correct?
  I think he was refering to the Islamic rulings that are not simply
opinions. eg: The Qur'an says "Do not kill your children for fear of
poverty".
  As for scholars' opinions, there is no cleargy in Islam and we may choose to
disagree. Their opinion is heard because they know more, but they can
still be wrong.

>  One example of what I would consider a stupid, silly ruling
>is the Saudi "Islamic scholar" who said that
>women should not drive.  This "scholar" also ruled that the
>earth was the center of the universe.  He only changed his mind
>after a Saudi astronaut went up in the Space Shuttle.  He seems
>to have a great deal of influence in Saudi Arabia.  Should he
>be followed blindly just because he is an Islamic scholar?
>Rather people should be able to do some reasoning for themselves.

  The earth being at the centre of the universe is an interesting opinion
that cannot be understood from the Qur'an or the Sunna. Its only source
is medieval Christian litterature. This should cast some doubt as to the
seriousness of such "scholar".

  It is my duty as a Muslim to warn other Muslims about danger. Saudi
Arabia a terrible source of Islamic knowledge in any topic that can
be used politically. It has been dubbed by some "the graveyard of scholars"
because ideas are not respected, opinions are sometimes forbidden  and
scholarly opinion is frequently bought from those who will sell it.

  The reason the Saudi government (not the scholars per se) does not want
women to drive is for fear of the corrupting influence of the large number
of foreigners on their daughters. This fear is supported by some incidents,
some of which are famous. Still, The Saoudi government has no right to
restrict a freedom given by the creator (after all, since when were women
even discouraged from riding horses?)

  If I have wronged the Saoudi governemt, I ask Allah for forgivness, but
I do not think I made that mistake.

  Assalamu `alakum

 Assalamu `alaykum, brothers. Brother Afroz Lateef writes:
>> When a ruling has
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>been made in Islam you could expect that breaking that rule will bring
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>adverse consequences.
>>
>   WELL SAID!
>
>   Even if we try to explain somethings, it is beyond the
>understanding of someof the people. (those whose minds are corrupted by
> satan).

  .. or those who do not know enough. It takes wisdom, not just a
pure mind to understand some things.

  Was a student (Does that count ?)

  Assalamu `alaykum