Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 91 11:16:29 EST
From:         ONA100C@oduvm.cc.odu.edu
Subject:      Re: WHEN IS EID DAY?
To:           skhan@uwovax.uwo.ca

DEAR Mr SKHAN ,WE AS MOSLIMS DO NOT FAST IN RAMADAN BECAUSE WE LIKE IT MORE
THAN ANY OTHER MONTH,INSTEAD WE FAST BECAUSE ALLAH ORDERED US TO FAST IN
RAMADAN.  ALSO DO NOT FORGET THAT ALLAH HAS SPECIFIED AND TOLD US HOW TO
DETECT THE MONTH OF RAMADAN OR SHAWWAL; WHEN THE PROPHET SAID CLEARLY THAT
WE SHOULD AND I REPEAT SHOULD DETECT THE MONTH OF RAMADAN OR SHAWWAL BY THE
MEANS OF SIGHTING ONLY AND HE DID NOT SAY CALCULATE IT OR PREDICT IT.YOU
MIGHT SAY THERE WAS NO COMPUTERS AT HIS TIME OR ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ,AND
I SAY ISLAM IS APPLICABLE IN ALL PLACES AND AT ALL TIMES.  AND DO NOT FORGET
THE BASIC IDEA BEHIND ALL OF THAT WHICH IS THAT WE FAST FOR ALLAH WHENEVER
HE WANTS OR TELLS US TO FAST WHETHER SCIENTIFICALLY IT WAS ACTUALLY RAMADAN
OR NOT. SO,ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS TO DETECT THE CRESCENT BY TRYING TO SIGHT IT,
AND IF ANY RELIABLE MOSLIM IN ANY PLACE AROUND THE WORLD CLAIMS THAT HE HAS
SEEN THE CRESCENT, WE SHOULD BELIEVE HIM AND FOLLOW HIM WHETHER IT WAS
ACTUALLY (SCIENTIFICALLY) RAMADAN OR NOT.  FINALLY I HOPE YOU REPLY AND TELL
ME YOUR POINT OF VIEW . ASSALAM ALAIKUM

Dear Muslims;

Thanks for sending me the note. I am pleased to tell you that I try my
best to see the crescent from boyhood. But don't tell me to look into the
sky on the 27th day of any month to see the moon. If we can not see it
(even if actually the crescent is in the sky) and we want to follow
the sunnah, then we must complete 30 days of the month before starting
a new month. Don't be in hurry to accept an unrealistic claim of some
one.

Please note the following points:

1. Do we brake our fast after actually observing yourself the sun set?
Or by taking the witness of any other Muslim?

2. Do we ever stop eating suhur after trying to distinguish the difference
between the white and black thread?

3. Do we face towards KABA by your intuitional assessment of its direction
at the time of prayers?

4. If you recommend to accept the claim of moon sighting of any Muslim
anywhere in the world as the beginning of Islamic month through out the
globe, then how do you take care of time difference in various places?
Why did't the sahaba's accepted the claims of moon sighting at Syria in Medina?

5. Do we pray morning prayer at the same time through out the world?

The answers to the above questions reveal the fact that there is
time differences at different places and that we depend on the
reliable knowledge (calculations) to do our worshiping.

Please note that there are numerous verses in the Qur'an that affirms
that the creation of the earth and other bodies in the universe are
calculated (husban) and each has fixed destiny (taqdir). Day and night,
sun and moon has a fixed cycle. Please refer to Mourice Buchaile's book :
The Bible, the Qur'an and the Science, for detail.

Muslims are asked to seek knowledge (not only calculation) even for
that needs to go to China.
Over the centuries people have observed the motion and cycles of the
moon and sun. The prayer time table or the direction of kaba compass are
the results of astronomical calculation. If we can follow them five times
a day without raising any question, why should we be mad for to accept the
same principle (based on the Qur'an) to determine the Islamic months?

I know about the sahada. But, question is should we believe the
claims of observing a non-existent moon? Or a moon that is too immatured
to be visible? You may have known the unbelievable news of 28 days of fasting
in Ramadan. This is due to such claim. If there is a crescent in the
sky and if one person can see it, what is wrong with the other people?
What about the millions to the west of that person? Why should one see
the crescent for one second only? Why should it not be on the correct
position and direction? Lots of questions can be asked about it.

I don't know any of the Muslim astronomers tells us not to try to see
the crescent. I must agree with them. At the sametime if we have
reliable guidance about the occurance and earliest visibility of the
the crescent based on science, what prevents us to utilize that to
make our task easier?

I hope I have addressed your concerns in a nutshell.

For further information one may contact Dr. Omar Afzal, Cornell Univesity,
Ithaca, NY. He heads the Committee for the Observations of the Crescent.

Shahjahan Khan Mukul

nabeel@sce.carleton.ca (Nabeel Ghuzlaan) (04/19/91)

   The original email which you referenced included that the witness should be
reliable not any lier or whatever.
   The fact that every thing in the universe is controlled precisely does not
imply that we know how it is controlled and does not prove that our
calculations are correct. If those calculations contradict the observation
then They are WRONG!
   In your reference to Sahaba in Sirya and Medina, those Sahaba have not got
the means of communications that we have now, so they can not be blamed for
something they do not and can not know.
   The analogy which supported your arguement, nobody bases anything on it
and it is obvious that it is wrong, no one can break fast at noon because it
is sunset somewhere. This is obvious, but the beginning of months should
account for the few-hour difference but not get different months in different
countries.

| DISCLAIMER: These opinions do not necessarily represet those of Carleton |
|   University, Systems and Computer Engineering Department, its Chairman, |
|   System Manager, System Operator, Faculty Members, Staff nor  students. |
|   Furthermore, most of the time they do not even represent my own  point |
|   of view! However, some people  think  they  are  worth  consideration. |
|           On the Way of Multidimensional Orthonormal Thinking            |
| The Steel-Ice Man | They are called ideals because they are unreachable. |
|   (*Keep cool*)   |     However it is our challenge to keep trying!      |