[soc.religion.islam] MOONSIGHING QUESTIONS

skhan@uwovax.uwo.ca (04/19/91)

The following is the second response to my posting on the issue:
From: nabeel@sce.carleton.ca (Nabeel Ghuzlaan)
Date: 19 Apr 91 12:19:02 GMT
Sender: news@wpi.WPI.EDU (News)

   The original e-mail which you referenced included that the witness should be
reliable not any lier or whatever.
(*)  The fact that every thing in the universe is controlled precisely does not
imply that we know how it is controlled and does not prove that our
calculations are correct. If those calculations contradict the observation
then They are WRONG!
 (**) In your reference to Sahaba in Sirya and Medina, those Sahaba have not got
the means of communications that we have now, so they can not be blamed for
something they do not and can not know.
 (***)  The analogy which supported your arguement, nobody bases anything on it
and it is obvious that it is wrong, no one can break fast at noon because it
is sunset somewhere. This is obvious, but the beginning of months should
account for the few-hour difference but not get different months in different
countries.

Please note that I have marked the paragraphs by *'s for references.

In (*) the question at hand is not of control, but of calculation.
Please note that Allah (swt) has determined the path and motion of
all heavenly bodies and He is not going to change it every day.
Today we know at what time the sun will rise and set, to the accuracy of
one million of a second. In the same way the occurance of moon, lunar
and solar eclipse etc. are calculated with such greater accuracy.
So, if the new moon is old enough and satisfies the other requirements
of visibility, then the claim of sighting it credible. Otherwise, a
unborn or immature moon can never be visible. Islam is not contradicting
the science which is the discovery of the mistrious creations of Allah.
And Allah (swt) has indeed ordered the Muslims to discover His signs.
It is the Muslims, who discovered the astronomy and mathematics, which is
the basis of the computation.

In (**) the sahaba (r) were not ignorant. They knew Islam better than
we do, and they followed it accordingly. It is we who want to enjoy
the benefit of science every day and every where, by being it servant,
but when it comes to determine the lunar month then we pretend to
keep ourselves away from science. If we follow sahabas (r), and we
should, then the visibility of crescent in one place may not be
a binding for the others who lives far apart. That is why when we
see the moon in N.A., the rest of the world do not follow us. The
time difference is the wisdom of Allah (swt) and we have no right
to ignore it for emotional wishes.

Then comes the triple *. It appears to me that you care a little
for few hours. But to Allah that matters. And so should we. Even
minutes, or for that matter seconds, matter a lot. We are not
allowed to do our prayer when ever we want. And we should not
take the fasting, eidain, hajj etc. so lightly, specially with
respect to it proper timing. One can not pray Magrib before sun set.
Similarly, we can not change Fazr prayer time after sun rise for
someone's convenience.

One final note :
The inventions of science has contributed a lot to the correct
understanding and practice of Islam. We are directed by Allah
to discover the signs of His creation. The science is a part of
that discovery.
If we have any objections in the scientific facts that merely
confirms the teachings of the Qur'an (once it reaches the
ultimate truth), then we should better check our undestanding
of Islam as a practical way of life.

Please do not think about giving up this netting commentaries, as it
is the latest from the science of calculations and computations.

Shahjahan Khan Mukul