[soc.religion.islam] "Earth as the Centre of the Universe"

whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca (04/22/91)

	Assalamu Alaikum,
	I think that the scholar who believes that the Earth
is the centre of the universe is Abdul Aziz Ibn Baz. This was
reported in TIME magazine sometime during Operation Desert Shield
as one example of the clash of culture.
	I had been previously unaware of this position taken
by Ibn Baz, and was somewhat surprised by it. I had heard
a number of very outlandish fatawa given by Ibn Baz, but didn't
quite believe he'd go that far.

Wael M. R. Haddara
(no sig. this time )

zix@cs.nott.ac.uk (Zafer Iqbal) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.005018.6202@nntp-server.caltech.edu> whaddara@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:

>	Assalamu Alaikum,
>	I think that the scholar who believes that the Earth
>is the centre of the universe is Abdul Aziz Ibn Baz. This was
>reported in TIME magazine sometime during Operation Desert Shield
>as one example of the clash of culture.
>	I had been previously unaware of this position taken
>by Ibn Baz, and was somewhat surprised by it. I had heard
>a number of very outlandish fatawa given by Ibn Baz, but didn't
>quite believe he'd go that far.
>
>Wael M. R. Haddara
>(no sig. this time )

Ibn Baz has also given the fatwa that the world is falt!!!
During the gulf crisis he gave fatwas to say the Saudi position is
ok and it's ok to ask the Americans for help - seveeral days after the
americans had entered the Arabian peninsula!!! (Hadiths and ayats
were also quoted out of context in his fatwas!!!)

Zafer