[soc.religion.islam] Earth is the Center of the Universe

hanan@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Hanan Lutfiyya) (04/23/91)

In Message-ID: <1991Apr19.122327.2824@wpi.WPI.EDU> (iftikhar uz zaman) writes

>	The point of this post though, is to suggest that we try to
>break down some of these monolothic characterizations of people as
>"backwards" and "forwards."  The "mulla" is a much maligned individual,
>however, fortunately or unfortunately, he has read the sources a
>lot more extensively than a lot of us have.  Thus, until we do the
>reading ourselves, one cannot simply "throw the baby out with the
>bathwater" and think we can dispense with all types of mullas
>(from Malik, Shafi'i, Ahmad etc. to Ibn Hajar, 'Ayni, etc...to
>the modern ones like Albani).  What we can do is put large question
>marks where we have questions and learn from them what we can...
>then, later, perhaps try to investigate the questionable points...
>Eventually, the investigation of the questions may lead us to throw
>out everything these "mullas" have told us.  But it seems like
>cultural suicide (taking Islam as a "culture" here) to completely
>disavow the work of centuries which has gone into the texts of Islam
>which these people (many of them sincere along with being knowledgeable)
>have invested....

>	We do this kind of selective listening to any "expert" in
>everyday life--why can we not give our religious scholars the same
>treatment?  Is there perhaps a visceral reaction here? A "hatred"?

>These are just questions: not accusations.

    I'm not disagreeing with you.  What I resent is the following:
Sometimes, when a person tries to investigate the questionable points,
they are given labels.  The original posting that started this thread
seemed to imply that a person who does question, is being influenced
by Satan.  I consider this unfair especially if one believes that
Allah has given us free will.  There are many differences between
the way religious scholars perceive things.  It is because they
question.  I believe that the "average person" also has this right.
The right to question, investigate and learn and not be labeled.  Of
course, the learning process will involve learning from many
of these religious scholars.

Hanan Lutfiyya
University of Missouri-Rolla

darwish@eng.umd.edu (Mamdouh Maher) (04/25/91)

Assalamu `alaykum.

  Sister Hanan Lutfiyya writes:

>    I'm not disagreeing with you.  What I resent is the following:
>Sometimes, when a person tries to investigate the questionable points,
>they are given labels.  The original posting that started this thread
>seemed to imply that a person who does question, is being influenced
>by Satan.  I consider this unfair especially if one believes that
>Allah has given us free will.  There are many differences between
>the way religious scholars perceive things.  It is because they
>question.  I believe that the "average person" also has this right.
>The right to question, investigate and learn and not be labeled.  Of
>course, the learning process will involve learning from many
>of these religious scholars.

   The original posting was refering to questioning what is correct, ie: trying
to find excuses for not following it. I think the poster was not
implying that one should not question, rather that one should not wait
till one understands fully the exact reason for a ruling before following
it. I pray three rak`a for Maghreb, but I have no idea why it is not two
or four. I am certainly not going to wait till I fully understand the
digestive system before I eat.

  As for the right to question, the Muslim has the OBLIGATION to question,
to wonder, to try and understand some of the wisdom of the Creator.
The Qur'an constantly tells us to contemplate IT. God tells us that it is
guidance to the right path, but also that it is guidance to those who
contemplate, ("Afala tatafakkarun" Will you not contemplate, think), to those
who think ("Ulu alalbab" those who have thought).

  One way Islam sets itself apart from most other religions is in that it
appeals to the intellect as well as to the spirit. Islam not only 'feels'
right, but it also makes sense. We are told to accept God's blessings
on us, that is why we should enjoy the good bounties of this world, but
that is also why we should understand this divine way of life. This can only be
achieved through learning it, thinking about it, questioning it.

  Islamic history is full of debate of questions that often seem forbidden
under Islamic law. It is only after the weakness of the Muslims, caused
by the weakness of their hearts, that corrupt systems that restrict
freedom of expression have arisen. Islam restricts corruption, pornography
and trickery (false claims), I am not aware of any upright form of expression
that is forbidden. And tgat which God has allowed may not be forbidden in
Islam.

>Hanan Lutfiyya
>University if Missouri-Rolla

I hope this helps answer your question. Distorting Islam is perhapse the
only way to fight it; certainly the only way that has worked historically.
I am as frustrated as you are by some of the misunderstandings. If my
article seems long, I apologise, but I feel it is my duty to clear up
some of the confusion.

Assalamu `alaykum

Mamdouh Maher

fade@midway.uchicago.edu (mohammad h fadel) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.182457.28891@wpi.WPI.EDU> darwish@eng.umd.edu (Mamdouh Maher) writes:

>  As for the right to question, the Muslim has the OBLIGATION to question,
>to wonder, to try and understand some of the wisdom of the Creator.
>The Qur'an constantly tells us to contemplate IT. God tells us that it is
>guidance to the right path, but also that it is guidance to those who
>contemplate, ("Afala tatafakkarun" Will you not contemplate, think), to those
>who think ("Ulu alalbab" those who have thought).
>
>  One way Islam sets itself apart from most other religions is in that it
>appeals to the intellect as well as to the spirit. Islam not only 'feels'
>right, but it also makes sense. We are told to accept God's blessings
>on us, that is why we should enjoy the good bounties of this world, but
>that is also why we should understand this divine way of life. This can only be
>achieved through learning it, thinking about it, questioning it.
>
>  Islamic history is full of debate of questions that often seem forbidden
>under Islamic law. It is only after the weakness of the Muslims, caused
>by the weakness of their hearts, that corrupt systems that restrict
>freedom of expression have arisen. Islam restricts corruption, pornography
>and trickery (false claims), I am not aware of any upright form of expression
>that is forbidden. And tgat which God has allowed may not be forbidden in
>Islam.

>Mamdouh Maher

The issue here is not one of questioning or not questioning; the problem is
the mode of questioning.  Likewise, Allah (SWT) does praise knowledge and
the knowledgeable in His book.  But is this praise undifferentiated in
regards to knowledge itself?  Certainly not.  The type of knowledge which
is the object of the Qur'an's praise is knowledge of Allah, SWT.  This is
the only knowledge praiseworthy in and of itself.  All other types of
knowledge can only have an instrumental value subordinated to the goal of
gaining truth about religion - which is essential for the cosmic fate of
the individual.  For this reason, Imam al-Ghazali, in his polemics with the
Isma'ili Shi'ites, denies the necessity (wujub, i.e. from the perspective of
the Shari'a) of all types of knowledge except for the knowledge of Allah
and of the truthfulness of His messenger, Muhammad, Salla Allah 'alyhi wa
Sallam.  The reason for this is clear - ignorance of any worldly matter in
the face of ignorance of what awaits one after death is a trivial matter.
This does not mean that everything else is worthless; al-Ghazali's point
was to show that difference of opinion on other issues, even issues of ritual
obligation, pale in comparison to the duty of believing in Allal (SWT) and
His messenger salla Allah 'alyhi wa sallam.  Thus, difference of opinion is
a minor issue and completely legitimate, so long as the difference of opinion
arises from genuine attempts at understanding our obligations to Allah (SWT).
If one wishes to participate in this process of understanding Allah's will,
a process which Muslims have been engaged in collectively from the moment of
the Mustafa Salla Allah 'alyhi wa Sallam died, one must have the tools to
do so.  If one does not have the time to become a faqih, or a mufassir, or
even learn Arabic, one should at least become acquainted with the basic cate-
gories of Islamic religious thought so that one's questions are productive.
The conclusion is that one can not take a truth from any worldly science and
then use it as an interpretive device to issue religious opinions (fatwa).
The operative principle here is the assumption made by believers by virtue
of their being believers that Allah, SWT, knows best - 'asaa an tuhibbuu
shay@an wa huwa kurhun lakum wa 'asaa an takrahuu shay@an wa huwa khayrun lakumAllah ya@lamu wa antum la ta@lamun - Perhaps you are a fond of a thing and
it is bad for you; perhaps you despise something which is better for you -
Allah knows while you know not. (I don't know the cite, but I think it's in
Baqara.  I'm not sure, I also might have written it in reverse, i.e. "perhaps
you despise comes" first.)   The implication of this verse was well-understood
by the Ash'arite theologians (of which al-Ghazali was one): that good and bad
can only be known by shar', the divine command.  There is no rational basis
for judging independently without the help of the shari'a.  To do so would
be an instance of following hawa, one's personal likes and dislikes, which
is of course, the exact opposite of what the Qur@an means by 'aql, reason.
In the Qur@an, 'aql means to use one's mind to understand what Allah (SWT)
demands of him or her, not just reason in its modern, conventional, and
usually, positivistic sense of today.  For that reason, unbelievers, though
they may be brilliant natural and social scientists, philosophers and poets,
are more blind than cattle - they are ignorant of their spiritual destiny,
and is there a blindness worse than this blindness?  Despite this, one must
stand in admiration of all scientific, artistic, and cultural achievements,
no matter what the source.  One just should not let that admiration affect
the manner in which religion and its obligations are to be understood.
Finally, we must all thank God for His huda, guidance; He is the only source
of guidance.  We must also hope that Allah guides not just Muslims, but every
one to Islam.