[soc.religion.islam] the nature of the Prophet - REALLY??

paul@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.114631.16991@wpi.WPI.EDU>, fade@midway.uchicago.edu (mohammad h fadel) writes:

> If I could add something to the discussion of the Prophet'd (S) status.  The
> main thing to remeber is that the Prophet (S), whenever he made a mistake,
> Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta'ala, corrected his action through wahy, revelation.
> a good example is what happened after the Battleof Badr, when the Prophet (S)
> decided to ransom the prisoners of war instead of executing them.  Allah sent
> wahy saying that it is not for the Prophet to seek gain through ransom, but
> rather that he should kill the leaders of Kufr (The prisoners were all promin-
> ent enemies of Islam).  I don't know the aya, but I'm sure someone could provide it.  Thus, whenever the Prophet made a mistake in judgement, the only kind to
> which he was susceptible, the Qur'an corrected him.

I think the aya you have in mind is quite different from your
quotation of it!

47:4
"Now when you meet [in war] those who are bent on denying the truth,
smite their necks until you overcome them fully, and then tighten
their bonds; but thereafter [set them free,] either by an act of grace
or against ransom, so that the burden of war may be lifted: thus
[shall it be]."

Bell surmises that this verse was sometime before Battle of Badr.

Did you have some other verse in mind? If so please provide an exact
reference.