Newsgroups: soc.religion.islam
From: lateef@eemips.tamu.edu (Afroz Lateef)
Subject: Re: Hijab (Dress code)
Sender: bes@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Behnam Sadeghi)
Date: Sun, 5 May 91 12:48:35 GMT

In article <1991May2.143819.2455@wpi.WPI.EDU> jefff@locus.com (Jeff Fields) writes:

>   Very true. This is JUST ONE way in which A true ISLAMIC society
> 	is better than others.
>	It is beyond the dignity of an islamic lady, to go out and
>	work. Islam  views women in a highly dignified way, that
>	is why it is said to serve one's mother as much as possible
>	(Heaven is under the feet of mother). So if somebody sees
>	another woman (by mistake), then he is commanded to lower
>	his gaze, thus showing respect.

You are projecting  your own culture onto Islam.    According to ahadith
(traditions) there were numerous Muslim women during the Prophet's lifetime
that engaged in work outside their homes (e.g. traders, shepherdesses,
etc.) with the Prophet's knowledge.  And there isn't any record of the
Prophet criticizing these women.   There were reportedly even women who
participated in jihad, although jihad was not obligatory for women.
Furthermore, there isn't anything in Islam to the effect that working
is not "dignified."

>Afroz Lateef

Behnam Sadeghi