[soc.religion.islam] What makes one a Muslim?

2fntnougat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Ian) (05/14/91)

Hello.

I found the discussion on the use of "Allah" interesting, as Malaysia, a
country with a Muslim government, but with only 55% of the population claiming
to be Muslims, either wants to, or has, made it illegal for non-Muslims to use
the word when referring to God, the One True Creator of the Universe. In
particular, the Christians. This is compounded by the fact that in neighbouring
Indonesia, which has a supposedly secular government, but *far* more people who
claim to be Muslims (over 90%), both Muslims and Christians call God Allah when
speaking in Bahasa Indonesia. (Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malaysia are about
as different as American and British English.)

Anyway, I have a question: what are the criteria for a person to be a Muslim?
That is, are there any specific beliefs, practices, etc. that makes one a
Muslim? I ask this because I got into some discussions where someone told me
that Saddam Hussein is not a true Muslim but just using Islam as a political
lever. This phenomenon, of course, is evident in other religions, as well. For
example, the leaders of the Crusades were not true Christians, but merely using
it as a convenient political tool.

So I would like to know what true Muslims use as criterea to determine if a
person is a Muslim or not. (Ok, I understand that only Allah can see the true
intention of a person. But if we know what the intention or real belief is,
what are the beliefs and/or actions that make one a Muslim?)
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

soufi@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Khaled Soufi) (05/17/91)

As far as I know, the *minimal* property for someone to be muslim is the
following:

    MUSLIM <==> believe that there is only ONE GOD and Muhammad is his
                messenger

--khaled

| Khaled Soufi                                           phone: (217)244-2274 |
| Department of Computer Science                                              |
| University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                                  |

2fntnougat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Ian) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.170038.24414@wpi.WPI.EDU>, soufi@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Khaled Soufi) writes:
> As far as I know, the *minimal* property for someone to be muslim is the
> following:
>
>     MUSLIM <==> believe that there is only ONE GOD and Muhammad is his
>                 messenger
>
> --khaled

Thanks, Khaled.

Would other people on this section say that this is generally accepted by all
Muslims, or is it just for Khaled's particular branch of Islam?

On a related note, is it true that someone converts to Islam by declaring in
front of two Muslim witnesses "There is One God Allah and Muhammad is his
prophet"?
--

azran@elaine48.stanford.edu (Azran Osman Rani) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May17.135919.10966@wpi.WPI.EDU> 2fntnougat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Ian) writes:

>In article <1991May16.170038.24414@wpi.WPI.EDU>, soufi@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Khaled Soufi) writes:
>> As far as I know, the *minimal* property for someone to be muslim is the
>> following:
>>
>>     MUSLIM <==> believe that there is only ONE GOD and Muhammad is his
>>                 messenger
>>
>> --khaled
>
>Thanks, Khaled.
>
>Would other people on this section say that this is generally accepted by all
>Muslims, or is it just for Khaled's particular branch of Islam?
>
>On a related note, is it true that someone converts to Islam by declaring in
>front of two Muslim witnesses "There is One God Allah and Muhammad is his
>prophet"?
>--
>Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
>I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an
>illusion due to the lack of nonverbal cues or (b) my sprinkler system has
>suffered a momentary glitch, so just ignore me until it's fixed.

In my opinion, a Muslim is a person who upholds the principles of Iman and
Islam, which are:

Iman: 	1) Belief in God
	2) Belief in the Angels
	3) Belief in the prophets
	4) Belief in the Holy Books
	5) Belief in the Judgement Day
	6) Belief in Qad'q and Qad'r

Islam: 1) declaring that there is no god but Allah and Muhamad is his messenger
	2) praying 5 times daily
	3) fasting in the month of Ramadhan
	4) paying zakat and fitrah
	5) performing the Haj

(4) and (5) are only for people who have the financial means to do so.

Azran Osman-Rani
Stanford University
azran@leland.stanford.edu

shamma@ccu.umanitoba.ca (05/21/91)

In article <1991May17.135919.10966@wpi.WPI.EDU> 2fntnougat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Ian) writes:

>In article <1991May16.170038.24414@wpi.WPI.EDU>, soufi@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Khaled Soufi) writes:
>> As far as I know, the *minimal* property for someone to be muslim is the
>> following:
>>
>>     MUSLIM <==> believe that there is only ONE GOD and Muhammad is his
>>                 messenger
>>
>> --khaled
>
>Thanks, Khaled.
>
>Would other people on this section say that this is generally accepted by all
>Muslims, or is it just for Khaled's particular branch of Islam?
>
>On a related note, is it true that someone converts to Islam by declaring in
>front of two Muslim witnesses "There is One God Allah and Muhammad is his
>prophet"?
>--
>Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax

	That above statement that Kahled stated is enough for a person
	to be a Muslim. This statement includes the commitment of a person
	to base all his actions and beliefes in its context.
	The level of beleife afterwards will depend on how much the Muslim
	indvidual obediance towards Allah (God) as the only god.

 Walid
 -----

From daemon@ncar.UCAR.EDU Wed May 15 03:22:50 1991
To: uunet!soc-religion-islam@uunet.UU.NET
From: lateef@eemips.tamu.edu (Afroz Lateef)
Newsgroups: soc.religion.islam
Subject: Re: Why Allah? (Why not).
Date: 15 May 91 07:20:33 GMT
Sender: usenet@TAMU.EDU

In article <1991May10.134212.27802@wpi.WPI.EDU> reddy@mips.com (T.S. Reddy) writes:

>In article <1991May9.114157.21740@wpi.WPI.EDU> lateef@eemips.tamu.edu (Afroz Lateef) writes:
>>
>>I come from India, and over there if one says God, then the question
>> will be : which God. Hindus beleive in numerous Gods, god of fire,
>>god of light, god of destruction, death, wind, rain etc. etc.
>>

>    As a Hindu, when somebody says God, I don't get that nitpicky :-).
>If you say you believe in Allah or God, I would respect your belief and
>not judge whether it is right or wrong. I would be happy that you have
>found your path to God. Hence you are wrong in your statement about what
>Hindus believe in.  Very simply put, while Hindus worship God in different
>manifestations, at the core of Hindu philosophy, there is belief in the
>oneness of God.  To make a blanket statement as you have is to display
>ignorance about the subject.

          Of course, in Hinduism the beleif is in the uniqueness of GOD,
	who is the creator or pure energy. But don't hindus beleive
	that God created Brahma and Visnu and Shiva, and that these
	three are also considered Gods by Hindu beleivers?
	Isn't Brahma considered as God of creation, one who gives birth
	i.e one who creates humans and earth etc.(for 4 yugas and then goes
	to sleep?)
	Isn't Visnu considered to be God who protects/sustains? (that's the
	reason why he is considered to come on the earth in the form of Avtaars)	Isn't Shiva considered the God of Destruction?

	Although there is uniqueness of God in Hindu beleives, but still within
	it isn't there beleives of the above 3 to be Gods?

	don't the people consider that to reach/realise God, these are the
	various paths.

	if u say that the three cited above are not considered to be Gods,
	and Hindus beleive only in the unique god, that is pure energy
	then I thiink u are right and I am wrong.

>    Just like many Muslims like to point out the mistakes that
>non-Muslims make about Islam, I would like readers of this newsgroup
>to be more careful when making statements like the one above.

	I appreciate ur concern, but I don't see any mistake in the
	statement made.

>T.S.Reddy (e-mail: reddy@mips.com)

  Mohammed Afroz Lateef

mmdh@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (Mamdouh Maher) (05/22/91)

Ian writes:
>Khaled Soufi writes:
>> As far as I know, the *minimal* property for someone to be muslim is the
>> following:
>>
>>     MUSLIM <==> believe that there is only ONE GOD and Muhammad is his
>>                 messenger
>
>Would other people on this section say that this is generally accepted by all
>Muslims, or is it just for Khaled's particular branch of Islam?
>
>On a related note, is it true that someone converts to Islam by declaring in
>front of two Muslim witnesses "There is One God Allah and Muhammad is his
>prophet"?

  To be precise, you become Muslim as Khaled described. You are considered
Muslim, (and hence other Muslims owe you to consider you and treat you as a
Muslim) by _CLAIMING_ to bear witness that there is no deity but Allah (God)
and that Muhammad is His messenger, while not contradicting your claim with
an act or speech such as by praying to other than Allah.

  The witnesses are not necessary to become a Muslim, but an acceptance of
Islam is preferably done in public. The declaration of the acceptance has to
be done in public by definition.

  Mamdouh Maher