[soc.religion.islam] Alif Lam Mim?

soeryant@frith.msu.edu (06/10/91)

As.wr.wb.

I have a question regarding the ayahs at the beginning of surah for example
Al Baqarah (QS 2) and Al Ar'af (Qs 7): Alif Lam Min, etc.

What do they mean?

Wass.,

Kahlil Rowter

Keyword: Alif Lam Mim

* Until the laws of Thermodynamics are repealed, I shall still continue to    *
* relate outputs to inputs.                                                   *
*                             -Paul Anthony Samuelson                         *

soeryant@frith.egr.msu.edu (Herr Soeryantono) (06/11/91)

blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald Blais) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.015103.27736@wpi.WPI.EDU> soeryant@frith.msu.edu writes:
>I have a question regarding the ayahs at the beginning of surah for example
>Al Baqarah (QS 2) and Al Ar'af (Qs 7): Alif Lam Min, etc.

Bell, Richard
Introduction to the Qur'an
Lib of Congress: BP 130 B4

    These letters are one of the mysteries of the Qur'an.  No
    satisfactory explanation of their meaning, if the have one, has
    ever been given, nor has any convincing reason been found for
    their having been placed where they stand.  If reference be made
    to the table given at the end of this chapter, it will be seen
    that some occur once only, singly or in combination, and before
    isolated surahs, but that there are other combinations which occur
    before several surahs, and that the surahs having the same
    combination of letters stand in groups.  [...]  Altogether we get
    the impression of groups of surahs, similarly marked, which have
    been kepted together when the Qur'an was put in its present shape.

[Bell goes on to report several theories on the mysterious letters.]
--
Donald E. Blais             Internet: blais@emx.utexas.edu
Computation Center          Bitnet:   blais@utxvms