[soc.religion.islam] Is India returning to European rule? u r worng Mr. Ajami

msa@zeus.unomaha.edu (MSA of Nebraska U. @Omaha &Omaha Islamic Center) (06/17/91)

--                       IN THE NAME OF ALLAH
                   THE MERCIFUL THE COMPASSIONATE

Assalamu alaikum:

> Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian,talk.politics.mideast,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.arabic,soc.culture.iranian,soc.culture.pakista
> Subject: Re: Is India returning to European rule ?
> From: martillo@crackers.clearpoint.com (Martillo)
> Date: 2 Jun 91 16:33:42 GMT
>
> Under this reasoning countries like India which have different laws for
> Muslims and Hindus are not truly nations.
>
> Likewise from the standpoint of building modern nations in countries
> like Egypt, Iran and Pakistan, applying sharia` invariably means the
> laws are different for Muslims and non-Muslims which basically means
> that Muslims are of the nation while non-Muslims are not.  Sharia` in
> terms of national consolidation is no different than apartheid.  The
> propaganda, disinformatsia and invective which Iran promulgates is
> always entertaining when it condemns Israel in association with the RSA
> because by applying Sharia` as the national law (Israel does not apply
> halaka as national law) if anything, Iran is perhaps even more
> consistent than RSA in creating and applying an apartheid system.
>
> Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami

It can not be said that Islam distinguishes among people on account of their
religion because Islam confers the essential rights on all people without
any distinction. Islam brings all people together on a purely human basis
and at the same time guarantees them absolute freedom to adopt the religion
of their choice, under its own care and protection.

Following are some major outlines of the Islamic guide lines regarding the
relation between Moslems and non Moslem citizens of an Islamic state.

First, In the Islamic state, non Moslems are not to be forced -in any way- to
convert to Islam. In Al-Baqara (the heifer)(256) ALLAH says { LET THERE BE NO
COMPULSION IN RELIGION: TRUTH STANDS OUT CLEAR FROM ERROR: WHOEVER REJECTS EVIL
AND BELIEVES IN GOD HATH GRASPED THE MOST TRUSTWORTHY HAND-HOLD, THAT NEVER
BREAKS AND GOD HEARETH AND KNOWETH ALL THINGS }.

And are not to be deported from the Moslem land which they live in.
One famous incident is when Sultan Salim I was becoming weary of the increasing
number of the non Moslems in the state which was accompanied with increasing
number of the plots that were planned by some of them. He, sultan Salim I,
decided to offer them a choice of either to convert to Islam or leave the
state. He was immediately stopped by one of the ullama ( knowledgeable people
in Islam) when he was reminded that ALLAH only gave the sultan the right for
the Jezyah (tax - I will mention it in details later in this post.) and not
to deport them from their homes.

Second, they are guaranteed their personal freedom and freedom of worship.
An example of that the treaty between Omar Ben Al Khattab (radya ALLAH alih)
and the people of Palestine. He guaranteed them their safety and the safety
of their money, church and crosses and that they wouldn't be harmed or forced
into Islam. Also, the honor, money and blood (lives) of the non Moslems are
guaranteed under the Islamic law in the Islamic state.
An example is a treaty by Ali Ben Abee Talleb (radya ALLAH alih) were he stated
that when they pay the Jezyah they get in return the same safety and
guarantees for their money and lives as if they were Moslems.
Al Bookhari reports that Abed ALLAH Ben Umro and his father (radya ALLAH
alihem) reported that the Prophet (salla ALLAH alih wa sallam) said: "He who
kills a non Moslem under our treaties unlawfully will not smell the smell of
Heaven", and he added "Heaven's smell travels the walk of forty years"

Third: They are to be protected from any injustice, attack or rape.
Abou Dawood reports that the prophet (salla ALLAH alih wa sallam) said "he
who oppresses non Moslem under our-treaties or was unfair to him or required
him tasks over his limits I will be his opponent in the day after".

Fourth: Civil rights are guaranteed to be equal to those of the Moslems.
Examples and reports of what the prophet (salla ALLAH alih wa sallam) said
or what the Quran have mention are countless. I will skip examples unless asked.

Fifth, non Moslems in a Moslem state are to pay annual tax called Jezyah.
-in return for protection from outside attacks-.
First we have to mention that Moslem have a Zakah to pay every year too -but
thats a whole other subject-.
According to Islamic law, an amount equivalent to 36 grams of silver
to be taken from the low income -but able- non Moslem yearly.
72 grams form middle income and 144 from the rich.
We have to mention here also that Jezyah does not applied to women, church
residents, retarded people, handicapped people, kids, servants, terminal ill,
or old people of the non Moslems.

Another important note to be mention here is that Jezyah is much less that
the Zakah that is asked from the Moslems, where Jezyah is steady. Zakah is
based on the individual's wealth that year and it can go higher in times of
was and disasters.

Jezyah is dropped when a non Moslem converts to Islam. History reports that
one of Caliph Omer Ben Abed Al Aziz's (radya ALLAH alih) governors
suggested to him not to drop Jezyah when the non Moslems convert to Islam
so the state maintain its flow of income. That suggestion made the Caliph
very upset and replied to him saying that ALLAH sent his prophet as a guide
not tax collector.

Sixth: History reports many incidents where sick or old non Moslems were
treated and helped on the expense of the Islamic state for the reason best
stated by Omar Ben Al Khattab (radya ALLAH alih) when said to a non Moslem
old man .. "We would have not been fair to you to have collected Jezyah from
you when you were young and able and then to abandon you now when you are old"
of course the man was helped then too.

Seventh: That the Islamic law orders good treatment and good will toward
non Moslems by the Moslems.

This in short the main pointers in dealing with non Moslems in an Islamic state.
It is fair and clear.

Now, Martillo might still find it unfair. but then this is Martillo after all.

BTW, Martillo, History shows that ALLAH have guided many people who opposed
Islam so fiercely into Islam. After those staunch foes of Moslem and Islam
have accepted Islam they became so devoted to Islam they earned a place in
history for their great work for Islam.

Martillo, never give up on ALLAH, you might be one of those stories.

Wasalamu Alaikum.

                MSA of the University of Nebraska, Omaha.

                                     (

                                   (    )
       /     |   _  | | |        (        )             /     |   _  | | |