[soc.religion.islam] Peace between Islam and Judaism

gristle@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66016000) (06/26/91)

I have currently been reading raging flames written by "white power" type
people attacking Jews and eventually attacking Islam. They seem to be
against all "dirty people." It sickens me to see continuing violence
between people who are all of the same stock. Regardless of religious
beliefs, all middle-easterners are from the same family and this
infighting is pointless. The "white power" nazi types love to see us
fighting, they sell weapons to both sides profiting off sales and our
deaths.

Recently, they have been posting extreme amounts of material to talk.politics.
mideast. They have found old anti-semtic doctrine that says that Hebrew uses
"secret codes" that describe "blood drinking" and killing of al non-Jews. This
stuff is pure lies and rubbish and has been refuted time and time again
but I think now more than ever Jewish and Islamic people must join
together and start showing these idiots that their attempts at keeping
us fighting must come to an end.

Although I am Jewish, my best friends since childhood have been mixed
Iranian and Jewish, and I can't see why anyone else need have so much
trouble....

I keep hearing reports of links between CIA people and Nazi war criminals,
and I am inclined to believe that these may be true, and that the
constant instigations that people have to attack Israel may be planted
by foreigners.

I have never heard opinions of any Middle-Eastern usenet users: how
do you feel about these issues? Is it possible to reach peace between
Jews, Moslems, and everyone else? Can we defeat these hate groups?

tr@samadams.Princeton.EDU (Tom Reingold) (06/26/91)

My (very small) understanding of this is that the Arab/Jew disputes are
politcally based and not based on ideologies of religions.  And the
disputes are between ethnic groups, not religions.  The word Jew here
refers to an ethnic group, even though it can, at other times, refer to
the religion which is practiced by the set of people that Middle
Eastern Jews belong to.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) (06/27/91)

>In article <1991Jun26.133014.29749@wpi.WPI.EDU> gristle@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66016000) writes:

 >  I have currently been reading raging flames written by "white power" type
 >  people attacking Jews and eventually attacking Islam. They seem to be
 >  against all "dirty people." It sickens me to see continuing violence
[...]

 >  Although I am Jewish, my best friends since childhood have been mixed
 >  Iranian and Jewish, and I can't see why anyone else need have so much
 >  trouble....

 >  I keep hearing reports of links between CIA people and Nazi war criminals,
 >  and I am inclined to believe that these may be true, and that the
 >  constant instigations that people have to attack Israel may be planted
 >  by foreigners.

 >  I have never heard opinions of any Middle-Eastern usenet users: how
 >  do you feel about these issues? Is it possible to reach peace between
 >  Jews, Moslems, and everyone else? Can we defeat these hate groups?

Hopefully yes. As a believing Muslim, I am sure that it is possible to
live peacefully together. But I'm afraid politicians in the middle
east are not so interested. James Baker is trying to find a solution,
but he is obviously powerless or weak against the unwilling government
of Israel. They seem not to want to co-exist with Muslims, and that
kind of behaviour is partly the source of mistrust.

For example, on the entrance of the Knesset, it is said, is written
"from the Nile to Tigris" which many Muslims see as a manifestation of
zionism. It is be true that all this lands were promised to the Jews
thousands of years ago, but we believe also that they were offending
Moses and not believed in Jesus and that they have lost the right to get these
lands. You will hardly get some consens on such points of belief. But
it must be possible to accept each other and live together peacefully.
Like perhaps in times of Sulaiman the magnificient who invited the
jews to Istanbul who were dismissed from there. This time, the roles
have changed, and it is up to the Israelite government to be the
magnificiant...

blais@emx.utexas.edu (Donald Blais) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.132801.15207@wpi.WPI.EDU> ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) writes:
>Hopefully yes. As a believing Muslim, I am sure that it is possible to
>live peacefully together. But I'm afraid politicians in the middle
>east are not so interested. James Baker is trying to find a solution,
>but he is obviously powerless or weak against the unwilling government
>of Israel. They seem not to want to co-exist with Muslims, and that
>kind of behaviour is partly the source of mistrust.
>
>For example, on the entrance of the Knesset, it is said, is written
>"from the Nile to Tigris" which many Muslims see as a manifestation of
>zionism.

In the 10th century BC the empire of David and Solomon extended south
to the edge of the Sinai desert and north to the edge of the Euphrates
river not far from Damascus.  The kingdoms of Israel and Judah and the
capital city of Jerusalem were at the heart of the empire.  A verse in
the Bible uses these "ideal" empire borders in describing the land of
the children of Abram.

        bayyom hahu' karat YHWH at-avram brit le'mor
        lzar`aka natati et-ha'aretz hazot
        minhar mitzrayim `ad-hanahar hagadol nhar-prat

The Nile river is not mentioned.  The river of Egypt (nhar mitzrayim)
is considered by scholars to be a wadi that divided the Negev desert
of Judah from the Sinai desert of Egypt.
--
Donald E. Blais             Internet: blais@emx.utexas.edu
Computation Center          Bitnet:   blais@utxvms

raza@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Z. Raza Hussain) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.133014.29749@wpi.WPI.EDU> gristle@ucscb.ucsc.edu (66016000) writes:

>I have never heard opinions of any Middle-Eastern usenet users: how
>do you feel about these issues? Is it possible to reach peace between
>Jews, Moslems, and everyone else? Can we defeat these hate groups?

i hope i can get my point across with a little story...

recently, i was doing my revision (for final exams) in a reference
library. this library required users of the library to ask staff at a
counter to order books for reading. within 15 or 20 minutes you
could come back and collect the books ordered previously.

usually the staff were quite polite, helpfull and offered this service in
a relaxed manner. there was however this one woman at the counter that i
seemed to have a slight problem with. she did not at all like conversing
with me and in a way shunned me every time i encountered her at the
desk. she never smiled or looked me in the eye even though many times i
attempted to be friendly and act in as polite a manner as possible.
talking to her seemed to make her annoyed and perhaps a little bit
angry. there was one incident which due to either carelessness or
complacency she ordered the wrong book even though i stressed this book
was very important and i urgently needed it (it would be the last
opportunity to browse through it before the exam).

i began wondering why this was happening, but didn't consider it a
problem - in this big world you're going to meet many types of people
with many different backgrounds, habits, cultures, attitudes. i thought
possible this woman had some personal problems or just had some sort of
irrevocable personality, but anyway, as i said, i didn't give it much
attention.
later on, after the exams had finished (yipee!) i had of course finished
going to this library. but i did see this woman again. i was passing by
in a car when i saw her walking with a man with a long beard, wearing a
hat and dressed in traditional Jewish clothes. it was then i realised why
she had a grudge against me (it should be noted that my name is Hussain,
which was on the application form for the library books, so she
had obviously derived an impression or opinion about me).

the point i'm trying to make is that it's probably okay to get along
fine with people who you know personally, but there's this in built
hatred which has stemmed from very early on in history which makes
people on the opposite side traditionally hate each other. there have
been many religious battles between the Jews, Moslems and Christians and
are remembered bitterly to this day. even today, with the brutal harsh
treatment of the Muslim Palestinians by the Jewish Israelis (who are
considered unjust occupiers of the land only by the will of the powerfull
West). there is general untrust between the groups of people which is
too difficult to resolve.

to ask to become friends and conspire to cooperate and happily mix in
with each other is desired but idealistic. there's nothing better than
peace, and i agree that other factions of society are forming against the
minorities in the West, but i think there's nothing we can do against
them. i don't think we can change the world and hope that the more
repulsive groups of people who live on this hatred can be transformed -
these types of people will always exist.