[soc.religion.islam] One Man = Two Women <===> Equality ??? How come!

cosar@tera.cs.umn.edu (Ahmet Cosar) (06/24/91)

Hello,

I have seen some articles that attempt to describe us how "equal"
women are in Islam to men. As far as I know in the Islamic Law,
a.k.a. Shar'iat, a female witness is not equal to a male witness.
And, one woman alone cannot even be considered as a witness in
an Islamic court.

As the moderators will also agree, this posting doesn't contain
any "personal flames" and is definitely "related to islam".
BTW, I am also e-mailing one copy to the moderator (Sheri?).

Olleh,

   A.Coras

Disc space -- the final frontier!

rached@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rached Zantout) (06/24/91)

Dear A.Coras

You mentioned in your last article that women are not equal to men in
Islam because the testimony of one woman is not accepted in the islamic
courts (?) and that the testimony of two women is equal to one man's
(?).
First let me clarify something to you and other fellownetters:
Men and Women will never be absolutely equal, they are different men are
men and women are women. Women give birth to children men (even if they
want) don't give birth to children. So in Engineering terms Men and
Women are different BY DESIGN.
This does not mean that one gendre should be superior to the other, they
should have equal GLOBAL rights.
As muslims we beleive that Allah (The only God that exists) has created
the whole universe including humans. Allah created Men and Women, and
Allah knows best what are the rights that should be given to both. So
from this argument every muslim once provided with an evidence from the
Quran (the Holy book revealed by Allah through his Angel (Gabriel) on
the prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him) or from the sayings of the
prophet Peace be upon him, about a right for either men or women must
obey that without any discussion.
This is the general rule, now a muslim is not prohibited to think about
what Allah has ordered and try to conclude the wisdom behind it, if he
can find some then it is good otherwise that does not mean that the
wisdom does not exist but it means that the human level is not yet
developped to recognize or identify that wisdom.
Finally, let me clarify some of the misconceptions you have (maybe due
to some non-clarity in our articles that were posted on the net).
In Islam and in Islamic courts a one woman witness can be accepted and I
refer you to the Quran (I do not have the exact numbers of verse and
chapter) where Allah says what could be translated to:
If someone beleives his wife has betrayed him then they should go to
court and he should sware (sp ?) three times by god that he is truthfull
and the fourth time that the curse of allah be on him if he were lying.
And the punishment will be lifted fro the woman (wife) if she swares (sp
?) by Allah three times that he is lying and a fourth time that the
curse of Allah be on her if he was truthfull. This shows us that in some
cases the tetimony of both men and women is equal.
In matters that need the special skills of a person, the testimony of a
woman may be more strong than that of a man like in things that are
related to women issues. It is narrated that when Khalif Omar (May Allah
be Pleased with him) wanted to know for how many months a man could be
away from his wife (to go for battle) he resorted to his daughter to ask
her and based on her opinion ALONE made his decision about the length of
stay (maximum) of a soldier away from his family.
As for that the testimony of two women equals that of one man, this has
been mentioned in the Quran only in reference to the monetary dealings
(as I remember for witnesses on debts between muslims), some of the
Ulama (Knowlegeable people in matters of Religion) generalized this to
all matters of testimony, others restricted it to that situation only
and said that in other matters the testimony of a man is equal to that
of a woman. So depending on the Ulama you follow you have different
opinions. This is not a contradiction in Islam since some of the matters
were left for the people to extract so as to give some flexibility and
that's what makes Islam a religion for ALL mankind at ALL times. Of
course there are basic things that there is no doubt about them like the
onesse of God and the beleif in the hereafter and the Paradise and the
Hell fire etc...
In conclusion, I am not that skilled in the matters of Women's rights in
Islam but if anybody on the net needs more information I can direct you
to some references which may proof useful in:
1. Clarifying some misconceptions abouyt Women in Islam.
2. Giving you a right idea about the role, rights and Obligations of
women in Islam.
3. Show you that Islam Liberated the woman, not disorderly but in a way
that fits her design; and did the same thing for man.

rached

--
"I bear witness that there is only one god, and that Muhammad is his
messenger"

cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) (06/25/91)

Hello,

In article <1991Jun24.160952.8483@wpi.WPI.EDU> rached@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rached Zantout) writes:

>First let me clarify something to you and other fellownetters:
>Men and Women will never be absolutely equal, they are different men are
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^
>men and women are women. Women give birth to children men (even if they

I agree that women and men are `different', the point is that whether
we agree that they are `equal' as well. I consider the fact that women
are capable of bringing new humans to life as a `plus' not something
which is exploited to forbid some other social roles to women.

>Allah knows best what are the rights that should be given to both. So
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>from this argument every muslim once provided with an evidence from the
>Quran (the Holy book revealed by Allah through his Angel (Gabriel) on
>the prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him) or from the sayings of the
>prophet Peace be upon him, about a right for either men or women must
>obey that without any discussion.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the point that each religion always includes to rule out any
criticism, possible updates and changes in accordance with the modern
world. Therefore I believe what we need is a religious move like the
`protestants' of Christianity which will act to evolve Islam to fit
the current world and needs of Muslims.

There may be no harm in applying the rules related to personal religious
duties of Muslims, however when the subject is to use it on daily life
I cannot accept to "obey that without discussion". Just give everybody
a copy of Qur'an and an interpretation prepared by the `ulema', it is done.

>This is the general rule, now a muslim is not prohibited to think about
>what Allah has ordered and try to conclude the wisdom behind it, if he
>can find some then it is good otherwise that does not mean that the
>wisdom does not exist but it means that the human level is not yet
>developped to recognize or identify that wisdom.

This is a very ambiguous ruling which leaves Qur'an open to any possible
interpretation as seen fit by people who claims to have authority in
religious jurisdiction, `ulema'. I know that they are educated in
religious Universities, have similar procedures such as earning PhD,
tenure, Professorship, etc., but I also know how much personal relations
and politics are involved with decisions in such organizations.

>In matters that need the special skills of a person, the testimony of a
>woman may be more strong than that of a man like in things that are
>related to women issues. It is narrated that when Khalif Omar (May Allah
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not relevant, what counts is the Qur'an. Omar was the 'Khalif'
so he had the `power' to make such a decision. What will I say if
someone says "look this is what is written in Qur'an", will they accept
Khalif Omar as a higher authority?

>As for that the testimony of two women equals that of one man, this has
>been mentioned in the Quran only in reference to the monetary dealings
>(as I remember for witnesses on debts between muslims), some of the
>Ulama (Knowlegeable people in matters of Religion) generalized this to
>all matters of testimony, others restricted it to that situation only
>and said that in other matters the testimony of a man is equal to that
>of a woman. So depending on the Ulama you follow you have different
>opinions. This is not a contradiction in Islam since some of the matters
 ^^^^^^^^

This is exactly the reason I am not so sure about how `fair' the
application of Islamic law can be. The people that are brought to
the position of `ulema', and ordinary people have no saying on it, are
in no way guranteed to be good people, are they? What if the Islamic
rules are maliciously used by `ulema', who can easily obtain majority
through personal relations and due to the fact that they are not
elected by people and cannot be changed by people.

>3. Show you that Islam Liberated the woman, not disorderly but in a way
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>that fits her design; and did the same thing for man.

It may be considered as a `liberation' for the year 1400, and for a
society in which female children were buried alive. Now women want
more. Shall we say "this is what was given to you, ask no more"?

>rached

Finally I would like to state that I have all the respect for all
religions and Qur'an, however I am not so sure how we can gurantee
that the Islamic rulers won't maliciously use Qur'an to strengthen
their chairs.

mucit@slate.cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.131903.28707@wpi.WPI.EDU> uunet!plains!tera.cs.umn.edu!cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) writes:
   In article <1991Jun24.160952.8483@wpi.WPI.EDU> rached@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rached Zantout) writes:

   >>First let me clarify something to you and other fellownetters:
   >>Men and Women will never be absolutely equal, they are different men are
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^
   >>men and women are women. Women give birth to children men (even if they

   >I agree that women and men are `different', the point is that whether
   >we agree that they are `equal' as well. I consider the fact that women
   >are capable of bringing new humans to life as a `plus' not something
   >which is exploited to forbid some other social roles to women.

Right, I agree.

   >>Allah knows best what are the rights that should be given to both. So
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   >>from this argument every muslim once provided with an evidence from the
   >>Quran (the Holy book revealed by Allah through his Angel (Gabriel) on
   >>the prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him) or from the sayings of the
   >>prophet Peace be upon him, about a right for either men or women must
   >>obey that without any discussion.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   >This is the point that each religion always includes to rule out any
   >criticism, possible updates and changes in accordance with the modern
   >world. Therefore I believe what we need is a religious move like the
   >`protestants' of Christianity which will act to evolve Islam to fit
   >the current world and needs of Muslims.

While it is clear that God knows all, it isn't all that clear to me
why we have to have a blind faith in all the _men_ who interpret and
present Islam to us.  Our faith is to God, not to ulema nor anyone else.
It would IMHO, be safe to question the authenticity of hadith, and even
the common belief that the Quran has been preserved verbatim.  Because
those things, though they may look sacriligious to some, does not
weaken the faith in God -- they just weaken the faith in _men_.  So I agree,
a reform movement would be welcome and might even be inevitable.  What I do
not agree with is the way Mr. Cosar says this should be done.  One ought to
be able to get at the general principles that remain invariant and valid
despite the changing social norms.  I tend to think of this as something
that each individual would have to do for him/herself.

   >There may be no harm in applying the rules related to personal religious
   >duties of Muslims, however when the subject is to use it on daily life
   >I cannot accept to "obey that without discussion". Just give everybody
   >a copy of Qur'an and an interpretation prepared by the `ulema', it is done.

Exactly.  I agree.  If we are to do as we're told we're placing our faith in
men and social customs and how we've been raised not in God.

   >>This is the general rule, now a muslim is not prohibited to think about
   >hat Allah has ordered and try to conclude the wisdom behind it, if he
   >>can find some then it is good otherwise that does not mean that the
   >>wisdom does not exist but it means that the human level is not yet
   >>developped to recognize or identify that wisdom.

   >This is a very ambiguous ruling which leaves Qur'an open to any possible
   >interpretation as seen fit by people who claims to have authority in
   >religious jurisdiction, `ulema'.

I disagree somewhat.  It also leaves it open to interpretation by ordinary
God-believeing (and otherwise ;) folk.  The power of Ulema is derived
from the herd mentality of people.

   >I know that they are educated in
   >religious Universities, have similar procedures such as earning PhD,
   >tenure, Professorship, etc., but I also know how much personal relations
   >and politics are involved with decisions in such organizations.

This is a more immediate concern of course, but if people are raised to
be sceptical (and cynical :), the danger dimisihes.

   >>In matters that need the special skills of a person, the testimony of a
   >>woman may be more strong than that of a man like in things that are
   >>related to women issues. It is narrated that when Khalif Omar (May Allah
						      ^^^^^^^^^^^
   >This is not relevant, what counts is the Qur'an. Omar was the 'Khalif'
   >so he had the `power' to make such a decision. What will I say if
   >someone says "look this is what is written in Qur'an", will they accept
   >Khalif Omar as a higher authority?

I agree.  Asserting that one has _the_ interpretation of the Quran
amounts to the blaphemous claim of prophethood.  On the other hand,
it makes sense to look at what people have thought before.

[the rest deleted]

B.M.

ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.181441.1863@wpi.WPI.EDU> mucit@slate.cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu) writes:

   In article <1991Jun25.131903.28707@wpi.WPI.EDU> uunet!plains!tera.cs.umn.edu!cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) writes:
[...]
      >>Allah knows best what are the rights that should be given to both. So
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >>from this argument every muslim once provided with an evidence from the
      >>Quran (the Holy book revealed by Allah through his Angel (Gabriel) on
      >>the prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him) or from the sayings of the
      >>prophet Peace be upon him, about a right for either men or women must
      >>obey that without any discussion.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      >This is the point that each religion always includes to rule out any
      >criticism, possible updates and changes in accordance with the modern
      >world. Therefore I believe what we need is a religious move like the
      >`protestants' of Christianity which will act to evolve Islam to fit
      >the current world and needs of Muslims.

   While it is clear that God knows all, it isn't all that clear to me
   why we have to have a blind faith in all the _men_ who interpret and
   present Islam to us.  Our faith is to God, not to ulema nor anyone else.
   It would IMHO, be safe to question the authenticity of hadith, and even
   the common belief that the Quran has been preserved verbatim.  Because
   those things, though they may look sacriligious to some, does not
   weaken the faith in God -- they just weaken the faith in _men_.  So I agree,
   a reform movement would be welcome and might even be inevitable.  What I do
   not agree with is the way Mr. Cosar says this should be done.  One ought to
   be able to get at the general principles that remain invariant and valid
   despite the changing social norms.  I tend to think of this as something
   that each individual would have to do for him/herself.

The enemies of Islam, like the orientalist Ignaz Goldzieher, are in
general sure that Qur'an is authentic. In my discussions with katholic
priests, there was nobody who had any doubt about it. So, if there
were some weak points on this elemantary fact, it would have been
evident up to day, I think...

      >There may be no harm in applying the rules related to personal religious
      >duties of Muslims, however when the subject is to use it on daily life
      >I cannot accept to "obey that without discussion". Just give everybody
      >a copy of Qur'an and an interpretation prepared by the `ulema', it is done.

   Exactly.  I agree.  If we are to do as we're told we're placing our faith in
   men and social customs and how we've been raised not in God.

That's true. We have to think. Npbody can think instead of me. But to
come to a solution, one has to have knowledge also! Without knowing
all the facts about a subject, you can't come to the right result.

      >>This is the general rule, now a muslim is not prohibited to think about
      >hat Allah has ordered and try to conclude the wisdom behind it, if he
      >>can find some then it is good otherwise that does not mean that the
      >>wisdom does not exist but it means that the human level is not yet
      >>developped to recognize or identify that wisdom.

      >This is a very ambiguous ruling which leaves Qur'an open to any possible
      >interpretation as seen fit by people who claims to have authority in
      >religious jurisdiction, `ulema'.

   I disagree somewhat.  It also leaves it open to interpretation by ordinary
   God-believeing (and otherwise ;) folk.  The power of Ulema is derived
   from the herd mentality of people.

If the ulema is the ulema of a party or sultan, you are right. But
there have been always ulemas which were against the sultans (like
Imam Hanife).

      >>In matters that need the special skills of a person, the testimony of a
      >>woman may be more strong than that of a man like in things that are
      >>related to women issues. It is narrated that when Khalif Omar (May Allah
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^
      >This is not relevant, what counts is the Qur'an. Omar was the 'Khalif'
      >so he had the `power' to make such a decision. What will I say if
      >someone says "look this is what is written in Qur'an", will they accept
      >Khalif Omar as a higher authority?

   I agree.  Asserting that one has _the_ interpretation of the Quran
   amounts to the blaphemous claim of prophethood.  On the other hand,
   it makes sense to look at what people have thought before.

That`s right!

   [the rest deleted]

ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.131903.28707@wpi.WPI.EDU> uunet!plains!tera.cs.umn.edu!cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) writes:

   Hello,

   In article <1991Jun24.160952.8483@wpi.WPI.EDU> rached@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rached Zantout) writes:
[....]

   >First let me clarify something to you and other fellownetters:
   >Men and Women will never be absolutely equal, they are different men are
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^
   >men and women are women. Women give birth to children men (even if they

   I agree that women and men are `different', the point is that whether
   we agree that they are `equal' as well. I consider the fact that women
   are capable of bringing new humans to life as a `plus' not something
   which is exploited to forbid some other social roles to women.

I can't understand how something which is different is also equal.
Equalness and difference is smt. mutually exclusive.

   >Allah knows best what are the rights that should be given to both. So
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   >from this argument every muslim once provided with an evidence from the
   >Quran (the Holy book revealed by Allah through his Angel (Gabriel) on
   >the prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him) or from the sayings of the
   >prophet Peace be upon him, about a right for either men or women must
   >obey that without any discussion.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   This is the point that each religion always includes to rule out any
   criticism, possible updates and changes in accordance with the modern
   world. Therefore I believe what we need is a religious move like the
   `protestants' of Christianity which will act to evolve Islam to fit
   the current world and needs of Muslims.

   There may be no harm in applying the rules related to personal religious
	 ^^^^^^
   duties of Muslims, however when the subject is to use it on daily life
   I cannot accept to "obey that without discussion". Just give everybody
   a copy of Qur'an and an interpretation prepared by the `ulema', it is done.

If you think that what you are saying is Islam, we come to the same
point you are complaining about (ulema <-> Islam). If one is not
willing to accept that 1) God is free of his creation, i.e. he is not
a function of space and time, 2) God wants the good of mankind. He has
not sent Islam to make man confuse, and 3) Because of (1), he knows
everything and because of (2) it is for the good for humans.

Of course, to question the ulema driven system is right, as 13
centuries of the 14 centuries which have passed since the prophet
started to preach have mostly not been ruled as it has to be. The
padisah was afraid of his brothers, so he got a Fetwa and let them be
executed- in the case of Mehmed III, 18 were killed, although some of
them were babies or small children!! Just to cite an exemple...

   >This is the general rule, now a muslim is not prohibited to think about
   >what Allah has ordered and try to conclude the wisdom behind it, if he
   >can find some then it is good otherwise that does not mean that the
   >wisdom does not exist but it means that the human level is not yet
   >developped to recognize or identify that wisdom.

   This is a very ambiguous ruling which leaves Qur'an open to any possible
   interpretation as seen fit by people who claims to have authority in
   religious jurisdiction, `ulema'. I know that they are educated in
   religious Universities, have similar procedures such as earning PhD,
   tenure, Professorship, etc., but I also know how much personal relations
   and politics are involved with decisions in such organizations.

It is time to learn from history. To implement a similar system will
not work again. But as there are no divine rules how to reign, why not
thinking on a better system? For example, a shura of 1000 ulema can
find a less politically influenced Fetwa on subjects IF they are
coming from all muslim countries, are elected by the citizens of these
countries and can't be a member of any political institutions ten
years before and ten years after being member of the shura. Their
ulema-PhD will show that they have knowledge (that they are
scientists) and their juristical file will show whether or not they
have obeyed the divine law. The shura will have the right to say that
a law, submitted by the parliament, is islamic or not. It will not
have the power to change the law...

   >rached

   Finally I would like to state that I have all the respect for all
   religions and Qur'an, however I am not so sure how we can gurantee
   that the Islamic rulers won't maliciously use Qur'an to strengthen
   their chairs.

I congratulate you, brother!

665instr@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Ian) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.134332.26319@wpi.WPI.EDU>, ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) writes:
> I can't understand how something which is different is also equal.
> Equalness and difference is smt. mutually exclusive.

I think he was referring to "equal worth" as opposed to "identical."
For example, a carpenter and a stonemason are equally valuable to society, etc.
but they are not identical because one works with wood and the other works with
stone: they have different functions.

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu        Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

emev02@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Oral) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.134332.26319@wpi.WPI.EDU> ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) writes:

>In article <1991Jun25.131903.28707@wpi.WPI.EDU> uunet!plains!tera.cs.umn.edu!cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>   Finally I would like to state that I have all the respect for all
>   religions and Qur'an, however I am not so sure how we can gurantee
>   that the Islamic rulers won't maliciously use Qur'an to strengthen
>   their chairs.
>
>I congratulate you, brother!

I would like to remind myself the first thing that the first Caliph of
Islam said, after being chosen as a Caliph by the Shura;

Abu Bakr Siddiq (RA) said;

As long as I follow the Qur'an and Sunnah you must obey me,
and whenever I do not follow Islam, then you can use sword against me.

This is roughly what I remember, please forgive me for the shortcomings of
my memory.  However, roughly the idea is there.  In what brother Ahmet writes,
therfore I would like to change the word "Islamic" with "tyrant".  Because
a true muslim ruler would not use Qur'an to shape his people, but he will be
shaped by Qur'an himself, and apply by it for his people.

Hamid

cosar@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Ahmet Cosar) (06/28/91)

Hello,

In article <1991Jun27.134332.26319@wpi.WPI.EDU> ekrem@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Ekrem Saban) writes:

>   I agree that women and men are `different', the point is that whether
>   we agree that they are `equal' as well. I consider the fact that women
>   are capable of bringing new humans to life as a `plus' not something
>   which is exploited to forbid some other social roles to women.
>
>I can't understand how something which is different is also equal.
>Equalness and difference is smt. mutually exclusive.

Are "apples" DIFFERENT than "oranges"? Yes.
Is "1 pound of apples" EQUAL to "1 pound of oranges"? Yes.

Is "one woman" EQUAL to "one man"? Yes.

>Of course, to question the ulema driven system is right, as 13
>centuries of the 14 centuries which have passed since the prophet
>started to preach have mostly not been ruled as it has to be. The
>padisah was afraid of his brothers, so he got a Fetwa and let them be
>executed- in the case of Mehmed III, 18 were killed, although some of
>them were babies or small children!! Just to cite an exemple...

Examples start at the earliest times of Islam, even the grandchildren
of Muhammed, the Prophet, have not been able to escape from the political
struggle to use Islam as a source of power.

>It is time to learn from history. To implement a similar system will
>not work again. But as there are no divine rules how to reign, why not
>thinking on a better system? For example, a shura of 1000 ulema can
>find a less politically influenced Fetwa on subjects IF they are
>coming from all muslim countries, are elected by the citizens of these

Collecting such a power at the hands of 1, 2, 3, 1000, people is not a
good idea. It is easy to buy 1000 Ulemas, or to frighten them, or to
blackmail them, the possibilities are endless and the power you are
"planning" to give them are worth the trouble.

>countries and can't be a member of any political institutions ten
>years before and ten years after being member of the shura. Their
>ulema-PhD will show that they have knowledge (that they are
>scientists) and their juristical file will show whether or not they
>have obeyed the divine law. The shura will have the right to say that
>a law, submitted by the parliament, is islamic or not. It will not
>have the power to change the law...

I don't know which country you are from, but I would like you to first
implement it in your own country, show the world how good and productive
it is working, and then we may talk about this.

If people want to promote Islam they must keep it out of political
struggles otherwise they will be the ones making the most damage to
Islam. We are living in 20th century and the rulings made under the
social and international conditions of 15th century must be revised
to fit today. Even in Qur'an some verses have been modified with
later verses from God as events develop, in the life period of the
Prophet. Expecting it to remain unchanged after 1600 years is not
logical. This doesn't mean that we will go and rewrite Qur'an but
the interpretation can be changed and a more tolerant attitude can
be assumed, e.g. in women's rights issues.