[soc.religion.islam] Converting to Islam

arni@cse.uta.edu (Nandraj Arni) (06/27/91)

	I would like to know what does a man need to do to convert
to Islam, apart from accepting Allha as only God and Mohammed(PBUH)
be his prophet. Is circum-cision to be done? What is the procedure
for changing name? Are there any other things?

Thanks,

Nandraj Arni

mmdh@cbnewsf.cb.att.com (Mamdouh Maher) (06/29/91)

ssalamu `alaykum,

In article <1991Jun27.133949.27602@wpi.WPI.EDU> arni@cse.uta.edu (Nandraj Arni) writes:

>	I would like to know what does a man need to do to convert
>to Islam, apart from accepting Allha as only God and Mohammed(PBUH)
>be his prophet. Is circum-cision to be done? What is the procedure
>for changing name? Are there any other things?

  In order to accept Islam, one has to bear witness that there is no deity
but God and that Mohammad (PBUH) is his messenger. That is it.

  Circumcision is not necessary. I do not know if it is recommended to an
adult, perhapse another netter can answer that part of the question, but it
is certainly not necessary.

  The Muslim is typically proud of Islam. When one accepts Islam, one does not
have to take a Muslim name, but it is traditional to do so. Muslims usually
say one day: 'Please start calling me Omar'. If after time they wish to
change their name formally, the U.S. court system allows for that without
unnecessary hassles.

  "Islam is built on five", the messenger teaches us, a person who misses
one or more of the last four is still a Muslim, but a Muslim neglecting a
mandatory part of Islam:

  1- Bearing witness that there is no deity but God. [In Arabic, the word
       for God is Allah.]
  2- Prayer [Five prayers a day are mandatory.]
  3- Paying Alms [A portion of one's wealth belongs to the needy and must be
       given to them.]
  4- Fasting [During one month a year, the able Muslim refrains from food,
       drink and marital sexual relationship every day from dawn to sunset.]
  5- Pilgrimage to whoever is able physically and financially at least once
       once in a lifetime.

  These five 'pillars' of Islam are mandatory. Islam is a way of life, so
Islam teaches us how to deal with others, how to work, learn, play and speak.
These teachings can be learnt over time from the Qur'an and the teachings of
the messenger (PBUH).

  I have clearly barely touched on the five 'pillars'. I am willing to write a
separate article on each of the five pillars if you wish.

  To a person who recently accepted Islam, I would recommend not to rush to
learn everything, Islam is a religion of easiness, not difficulty. There is
a lot to learn and God does not impose a burden that cannot be carried. By
learning Islam slowly, the Muslim can absorbe Islam, enjoy it and not be
overwhelmed.

  May Allah guide us to Islam and help us follow it.

Assalamu `alaykum,

Mamdouh Maher