[alt.kids-talk] Renewed call f/ discussion : ALT.KIDS

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (12/06/89)

OK, I've been biting my tongue long enuff.  Here's My Arrogant Opinion:

I like the idea of a group oriented to kids, whether it has to start
out under the anarchy class (alt.) or not.  Right now, the closest
thing is misc.kids.  That is a parenting-oriented group, and yes, we're
quite mundane.  There are many things I'd enjoy debating in an open
forum dominated by kids:  school, books and movies, vacations,
siblings and parents, moving to a new home, hobbies, pets....

(The way this discussion's been going so far, the first topic should
be discrimination by adults!)

What I'd love most to see are postings of poetry, humor, and creative
writing by kid (and kidphile) contributors.

Such a newsgroup with an international distribution would be
interesting to watch--  how would a child attending sixth grade in
the UK see things differently from a kid the same age in, say, Texas?

"?.kids-only" would not be a good name, since it would imply
exclusivity inappropriate for any public forum.

...lori

P.S.  If a kids' group ever gets to a Call for Votes, I think the votes
      should be weighted inversely by the age of the caster.  ;-)

P.P.S.  Note the cross-post.

antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) (12/06/89)

In article <6352@hacgate.UUCP> lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) writes:

>OK, I've been biting my tongue long enuff.  Here's My Arrogant Opinion:
>
>I like the idea of a group oriented to kids, whether it has to start
>out under the anarchy class (alt.) or not.  Right now, the closest
>thing is misc.kids.  That is a parenting-oriented group, and yes, we're
>quite mundane.  There are many things I'd enjoy debating in an open
>forum dominated by kids:  school, books and movies, vacations,
>siblings and parents, moving to a new home, hobbies, pets....
>
> [...]
>
>Such a newsgroup with an international distribution would be
>interesting to watch--  how would a child attending sixth grade in
>the UK see things differently from a kid the same age in, say, Texas?

I agree, but I somehow doubt there are many 6 year olds on the net. ;-)  I
wasn't even on the net until I was 11, and that seems very early.

>"?.kids-only" would not be a good name, since it would imply
>exclusivity inappropriate for any public forum.

I wholeheartedly agree.  The basic idea should be to have a newsgroup where
"kids" are the dominating force and can feel it is their domain.  And where
adults can post their opinions in a reasonable, non-condescending manner, if
they wish to get some insight from a "younger perspective" :-)

>P.S.  If a kids' group ever gets to a Call for Votes, I think the votes
>      should be weighted inversely by the age of the caster.  ;-)

Right.  This is an odd issue.  I suspect there are RELATIVELY few of us out
here(although I hope that will change in the near future), so the volume of
such a group would probably be quite low.  However, because of this, there
aren't enough of us to have the voting power to get a new newsgroup created.
(Not to say that I'm not above NNTP or SMTP impersonations, mind you...)

>P.P.S.  Note the cross-post.

Yes.  It would be neat to see frequent cross-posts between the groups, with
those interested in raising kids getting input from kids, and those of us who
are trying to raise parents getting input from other adult-types.

>...lori

Also, with all due respect, I don't see how posting "do this if you want to
post" or posting the list of smilies is particularly appropriate.  Seemed a bit
condescending, if anything.  Suffice it to say, if you are having problems
posting, talk to someone in charge of the site from which you read news.

	Cheers,
			antony
Antony A. Courtney				antony@lbl.gov
Advanced Development Group			ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!antony
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory			AACourtney@lbl.gov

joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) (12/06/89)

The question is: do enough kids  have access to the  net to justify such
a group?

Jochen Fritz
joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu

If all else fails, be more general.   Failing that, say "42".

woodd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WOOD DEREK H) (12/06/89)

That all depends on what we would decide to call a 'kid'.  If its under the
age of 18, there are a lot of college students who are 'kids'.  And, of
course, Zaphod and all the others are correct with 42.

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/07/89)

In article <^N+ZQ|@rpi.edu> joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
>The question is: do enough kids  have access to the  net to justify such
>a group?

A) Have you ever checked?
B) Has ANYONE ever checked?
C) Do alt. groups have to be justified?
To answer your question, maybe not.  But we'll DEFINITELY top e. e.
carasso's 180 readers worldwide in alt.sex.carasso.snuggles.

P.S. Hi Tony!  I'm the only other kid here, and I'm the creator of this
group!
P.P.S. Well, not the creator - I have many people from misc.kids to thank
for the idea.  I just proposed it to my sysadm.

--
|Opus and Frodo live! | "Sometimes, when your cat just died and you've cut
off your favorite appendage(s) with a power saw and there's epoxy in the
Visine and you brush your teeth with Clearasil it helps to say 'What the
f*ck'" |  This signature consists of non-blanks separated by blanks.

dattier@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (David W. Tamkin) (12/08/89)

joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) asked in <^N+ZQ|@rpi.edu>:

| The question is: do enough kids  have access to the  net to justify such
| a group [as alt.kids-talk]?

There aren't a very large number of people like Antony Courtney and Narciso
Jamarillo around the corporate and university sites, perhaps, but I think
Jochen is overlooking the public sites, such as those from which Ben Feen
(who first proposed the group) and I (a former kid, admittedly) read news.

Followups to news.gripes, er, .froups, please.
--
David W. Tamkin        dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us     ...!attctc!jolnet!dattier
P. O. Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813   (708) 518-6769  (312) 693-0591

andy@hydra.unm.edu ( Andrew Eberhart) (12/08/89)

In article <^N+ZQ|@rpi.edu> joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
>The question is: do enough kids  have access to the  net to justify such
>a group?

Ah thur op kot!!

<pop!>

Oh, sorry.  I forgot to take my thumb out.
I said
I sure hope not!

        Andy ( :-[ )

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/08/89)

In article <14610@boulder.Colorado.EDU> woodd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WOOD DEREK H) writes:

>That all depends on what we would decide to call a 'kid'.  If its under the
>age of 18, there are a lot of college students who are 'kids'.  And, of
>course, Zaphod and all the others are correct with 42.
Let's say a kid is whatever you think you are.  Is that a good definition?

--

thomas@shire.cs.psu.edu (Angela Marie Thomas) (12/09/89)

In article <^N+ZQ|@rpi.edu> joefritz@pawl.rpi.edu (Jochen M. Fritz) writes:
   The question is: do enough kids  have access to the  net to justify such
   a group?

I would say, yes.  With public access Unix systems and fidonet on
Usenet, anyone who has a computer and modem has access to Usenet.
Granted, 7-8 year olds might not be reading/posting, but I would
guess that 10+ year olds are reading/posting right under our noses!
(I know I was at 13 O:-)

If we encourage kids to read/post maybe we can discourage them from
becoming "bad" hackers by helping them to become "good" hackers.

--
Angela Thomas                   Internet: thomas@shire.cs.psu.edu
PSU Comp Sci                    BITNET:   thomas@psuvax1

TURSHEN@AUVM.BITNET (12/10/89)

quit

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/11/89)

>quit

Is there a point to this message?

--

lesatz@castor.usc.edu (Eric Michals) (12/11/89)

In article <1989Dec10.170421.4558@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>>quit
>
>Is there a point to this message?

Seems like someone doesn't know how to use the net. The least he could
have done is deleted the article..but is there a point to your
message?

There isn't one to mine...