[rec.skydiving] Bridge Jumping

bmasters@ucqais.uc.edu (Bob Masters) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.213629.5602@cbnewsj.att.com>, scof@cbnewsj.att.com (scott.frenkiel) writes:
> I've heard talk about a bridge in West Virginia that can be
> 'legally' jumped; does anyone have any information on this
> (i.e. location)?  Has anyone had the opportunity to try it?
>

> scott

That would be the New River Gorge Bridge -- 876 feet high, closed down
once a year for parachuting and bunji-jumping.  The day is usually the
first Sunday in November but I believe it was in October this year.

This is located between Oak Hill and Beckley, WV on Route 19.  The
nearest town is Fayetteville or Fayette something.  Good whitewater
rafting too but I have never seen the jumps before.  Maybe next year.

Other facts:
	- largest ARCH bridge in the world.
	- located in New River Gorge National Park.

bmasters@ucqais.uc.edu